Jonathan Wilson: the candystripe passions of grandfather, father and son

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sums up what being a supporter is all about and why, in the end, the players are just a minor part of this.

Weird how close it is to my own dad's final days. He suffered with Alsymers and I took him to Roker park for one final time cos he couldn't go on his own any more. For the first half he was his old, miserable self, barely talking except to give shit to yet another player wearing red and white. No doubting his love for the team though. On the way home he suddenly started talking. Said Shack was his favorite though Raich was the best player he ever saw. It was about the last thing he ever said. I went back to Canada a few days later and never saw him alive again. And people here sometimes ask why I don't support some lot like Man Utd, or Liverpool.

Was just listening to that the other night. It's alreet but it's essentially just pulled quotes from the Zlatan book and cobbled them together.

Concur about The Blizzard like. The best football writing about IMO. Proud as fuck that I know one the lads involved in its inception and of the fact that probably the finest football publication is based in Sunderland.

It still made it flow really well though, i thought. Give it more of a story feel to it rather than a generic autobiography.

Loved this. Reminds me of a game when I was a bairn... We were leaving at the end and as I squeezed into the crowd on the stairs my dad said 'alright son?' At exactly the same time, the man next to us said 'alright dad?' to the old lad he was with. My dad turned to me and said 'that'll be us in a few years!'

Going home for the first time in 3 years at Xmas and going to the Liverpool game with my now gray-haired dad. Can't wait.

Anyway, putting my pedants hat on, the burnley match after Raich Carter's death was 0-0, not 1-1. I only know cus it was my first game!

http://salutsunderland.com/2011/10/...tripe-passions-of-grandfather-father-and-son/

Don't know why, but this morning I remembered possibly the greatest article I have ever read on what it means to be a football and/or Sunderland fan. I thought I would share it again on here, a nice start to a Saturday morning. Despite being a few years old now, it still rings true.

There's a reason Jonathan Wilson is paid to be a writer!

Cheers for posting that mate, cracking read

FTM

http://salutsunderland.com/2011/10/...tripe-passions-of-grandfather-father-and-son/

Don't know why, but this morning I remembered possibly the greatest article I have ever read on what it means to be a football and/or Sunderland fan. I thought I would share it again on here, a nice start to a Saturday morning. Despite being a few years old now, it still rings true.

There's a reason Jonathan Wilson is paid to be a writer!

Read this Lee Ryder you might just learn something

Can't remember. I posted an audio of it as well and people said it was dull.

I haven't read Pyramid, worth a go? I'd recommend Behind the Curtain, particularly if you have an interest in the countries it goes to.

I think its brilliant, its about tactics and how they evolved. So if that doesn't interest you its probably not the one for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back