WMS JOINT STATEMENT RE: STEWART DONALD’S DECISION TO PLACE SUNDERLAND AFC UP FOR SALE

We hope that a changing of the guard will occur as soon as reasonably possible and for a fair price, to people with a long-term plan, who will be able to get Sunderland AFC back where it belongs.

This highlights the problem with the initial statement for me, the only person with any control over who will take over us, is Stewart Donald. There are no guarantees that our next owner would be better than SD and every possibility they could be worse.

I think that SD stating that FPP would not be interested in investing without him being involved was a cheap shot to have a dig at the fanzines and turn public opinion against them but it could unfortunately still be true and the high profile unrest from supporter groups could potentially put off other investors.

I'm far from being a supporter of SD and certainly not of CM, I didn't think they were the saviours that they were made out to be when they first took over (I was happy to keep quiet and give them a chance) and don't think all of the accusations against them are fair right now. Saying that we're in the worst position in our history is misleading because we're in the same position as when they took over and could still be promoted this season which wouldn't be our worst position in history and would in fact be almost the best situation they could have achieved.

I'm not concerned about either of them though, they lapped up the adulation when they first came (when all of the bad decisions effecting us had been made by the old guard, so they could pass the blame) and now that they've made decisions that can and are being criticised they just have to take it on the chin.

My concern is whether the statement demanding them to sell was best for the club and the reason for making it.

I might be wrong but didn't the whole thing start because two fanzines got their noses out of joint because SD told one of them that he wasn't doing podcasts anymore and then approached another fanzine to do a podcast?

That doesn't seem the best reason to try and force out the owner, surely it would be better to question him and hold him to account rather than completely alienate him?

The thing is life's not as black and white as that. It isn't about 'siding' with people or 'hating' people.

Personally, I think the podcasts are really good and I subscribe to both of them. They're a good listen. I think Roker Report is a decent read, on the whole. I think the flags are a big improvement, and the people who sorted them did a great job. I think the owner is a chancer who should fuck off asap, and should be taken to task. He should have been from far earlier than he was.

I also think it was a bad move for a member organisation to flip from apparently completely supportive of the owners, to #donaldout, without any escalation or consultation. I also think that this week's willy waving contest between the owners and the fanzines has been absolutely pathetic on both sides, is damaging to the club, and I think both sides are now more interested in winning an argument or getting the last word than they are about the effect this is having on SAFC (in an important week).

This is why engagement shouldn't be on the basis of 'representation' by a group, most of whom originally appointed themselves. It shouldn't be about wankers like Sam Wise, or branch chairmen who are in the pockets of the club. It should be on the basis of engagement with ALL fans. Otherwise, politics and pride and ego always overtakes the best interests of the organisation at some point.
Good post.

As i've said a couple of times now it was the timing that was the biggest mistake. SD now has an excuse to change from "significant funds" to "sufficient funds" and no one outside of SAFC's fans would blame him.

This was the window where he needed to put his money where his mouth is and we would have all seen his true intentions with our own eyes. Now...

Really? You don’t think ‘fans’ hounding out the owners who in reality have steadied a sinking ship makes us look difficult?
Not in the slightest , I would imagine they will be well aware that every club has its minority if twitter/social media , drama queens.

There’s also a lot to unpack in what you’ve said. Where’s your evidence the owner only bought to sell? Or is that just highly prejudiced conjecture? Yes, we were bleeding money and he’s stopped that, steadied a sinking ship. We had just had back to back relegations man the finances would have been crippled! Use your brain! How is it only getting worse? Are we not on a decent run of form and climbing the table?
The evidence is almost everything he has done since he got here, everything has been short term and to avoid spending money, other than the waffle he spouts himself he has done nothing to suggest he has had kind of plan beyond selling us. We're far from steady in fact we're probably closer to financial oblivion now then we have ever been. If we were only wanting someone to sack people and gut the club we could have just let Bain do that for Short and be no worse off. We're getting worse because the club is being run by complete amauters who have no experience or idea how to run a club this size.

You clearly have passion I think you just have it in the wrong place. Donald is lying chancer, he just isn't a very good one, he is expsoing himself more and more and I don't think it will be long before all fans realise what a parasite he really is.

Blah blah blah grow up and fuck off man.....yous f***ing fanzine and supporters groups need to wind ya f***ing waffle pipes in man....its getting embarraing were not mags

The evidence is almost everything he has done since he got here, everything has been short term and to avoid spending money, other than the waffle he spouts himself he has done nothing to suggest he has had kind of plan beyond selling us. We're far from steady in fact we're probably closer to financial oblivion now then we have ever been. If we were only wanting someone to sack people and gut the club we could have just let Bain do that for Short and be no worse off. We're getting worse because the club is being run by complete amauters who have no experience or idea how to run a club this size.

You clearly have passion I think you just have it in the wrong place. Donald is lying chancer, he just isn't a very good one, he is expsoing himself more and more and I don't think it will be long before all fans realise what a parasite he really is.
By “...short term...” do you really he did things quickly and out of necessity? And as for “...probably closer to financial oblivion now...” do you really mean we were on course for financial oblivion but at least that has been allayed but new owners may embark on a ridiculous bout of spending that puts us back in a deep red financial situation?

By “...short term...” do you really he did things quickly and out of necessity? And as for “...probably closer to financial oblivion now...” do you really mean we were on course for financial oblivion but at least that has been allayed but new owners may embark on a ridiculous bout of spending that puts us back in a deep red financial situation?
By short term I mean things like; putting your mates in charge of running the club rather than looking for people with experience, effecting scraping our accedemy, buying older players or not scouting players or having any kind of recruitment strategy, these things suggest he never planned on sticking around long term. I actually mean the complete opposite, I want some one in charge who doesn't look for quick option but looks to long term effect their decisions will have on the club. Once he has made his money I honestly don't think Donald will think back to us at all.

Not even sure what you're on about with your 2nd comment.

Back