Joint Pain

Had a fall on the stairs a year ago, initially resulted in lower back pain moving into pain down my left leg. Visited a GP in the summer, likely mild sciatica, exercise and warmer weather kept it at bay for a bit.

Last few months, limited back pain but pain/tingling from left hip downwards and now really struggling with pain in upper left wrist, difficult to bend and grip fully, middle fingers on both hands are stiff when I awaken too (Likely cause - desk based job).

Been back to GP who didn't carry out any assessment, just said I probably need physio. Said I would save him the bother as I have private healthcare through work (Still awaiting GP completing necessary paperwork for this, 3 weeks and counting). Blood tests came back clear.

Likely to be still sciatica or something a little more concerning?

Had a fall on the stairs a year ago, initially resulted in lower back pain moving into pain down my left leg. Visited a GP in the summer, likely mild sciatica, exercise and warmer weather kept it at bay for a bit.

Last few months, limited back pain but pain/tingling from left hip downwards and now really struggling with pain in upper left wrist, difficult to bend and grip fully, middle fingers on both hands are stiff when I awaken too (Likely cause - desk based job).

Been back to GP who didn't carry out any assessment, just said I probably need physio. Said I would save him the bother as I have private healthcare through work (Still awaiting GP completing necessary paperwork for this, 3 weeks and counting). Blood tests came back clear.

Nee expert but get yourself a sports massage. Where are you living now and I'll try and recommend someone. If you can travel to Sunderland, go to sr acupuncture and tui na.

Get a dse assessment at work, maybe look at a standing desk.

I'm going through something similar but possibly a bit more severe.

Short version:
Pain in back and hip (right side) Doctor sent me to NHS physio who said I didn't have a bad back. I deferred to work healthcare (as you have) Had MRI at the spire and result said I had moderate to severe facet joint wear with some disc protrusion - causing impingement on the nerves. Also some arthritis detected. Having Physio at present. That's not end of it as when the current physio did his initial assessment he did some mobility test and said there was definitely a problem with my hip also - and to get an X-ray (waiting on results)

Physio is helping with the back but I know it's not a fix. The bloke who assessed my MRI said I should go straight to operation but I wanted to try physio before they cut me open.

Sciatica is usually caused by something impinging on the nerves - but if it's not structural it's easily put right. Ultrasound and massage/vibration works wonders.

Getting old sucks balls.

Hope you get sorted mate.

Last edited:
I'm going through something similar but possibly a bit more severe.

Short version:
Pain in back and hip (right side) Doctor sent me to NHS physio who said I didn't have a bad back. I deferred to work healthcare (as you have) Had MRI at the spire and result said I had moderate to severe facet joint wear with some disc protrusion - causing impingement on the nerves. Also some arthritis detected. Having Physio at present. That's not end of it as when the current physio did his initial assessment he did some mobility test and said there was definitely a problem with my hip also - and to get an X-ray (waiting on results)

Physio is helping with the back but I know it's not a fix. The bloke who assessed my MRI said I should go straight to operation but I wanted to try physio before they cut me open.

Sciatica is usually caused by something impinging on the nerves - but if it's not structural it's easily put right. Ultrasound and massage/vibration works wonders.

Getting old sucks balls.

Hope you get sorted mate.
As D.A mentioned above, SR Acupuncture and Tui Na are great. I had sciatica from a torn muscle for about 3 years. I tried everything, NHS, x-rays, physio, osteopath, stretches and yoga, everything. But it never seemed to get better and one session tog SR and I’ve not had a spot go bother since. I know that won’t work for everyone but it worked wonders for me.

This sounds like he’s possibly damaged something in the fall though so an X-Ray and MRI are probably required first.

Im like that all the time mate , just chase the pain around my body . Both wrists , stiff grip in both hands , left elbow , left Achilles, right knee , right hip abductors , lower back.
I just train every day and alter my routine to whats flared up at the time . I reckon im just like that and prone to inflammation, my sister had very early Rheumatoid arthritis which i was fortunate enough to escape but i reckon its connected .
I just soldier on to be fair , i could take pain killers but with a load of "oo ah ouch" it doesnt actually stop me in my tracks .
Good luck

Did they x-ray your wrist at the time, as the sciactic nerve goes from your hips down each leg.

Back