Joint accounts or separate accounts?

It’s never been an issue but obviously I’d just pay for anything for my kids. Doesn’t mean I want her spending my money on shite the rest of the time. Seems to me it’s just a recipe for constant arguments.

:lol: of course not but we both earn plenty of money so this isn’t really something I’ve had to think about.

This. Wife has a good job but whearn more
Married

Seperate accounts as I still have a pair of f***ing bollocks.
Married

Seperate accounts as I still have a pair of f***ing bollocks.

In a nutshell (pardon the pun)

You seem to be annoyed because your wife has conned you into handing over all your money.

Seriously. If you marry someone then why would you want that relationship to be based on anything other than sharing? Anything else is an unequal relationship. I get the bit about having a partner "with form" but for that to be a default position is just selfish.

Seriously. If you marry someone then why would you want that relationship to be based on anything other than sharing? Anything else is an unequal relationship. I get the bit about having a partner "with form" but for that to be a default position is just selfish.
We both prefer it this way so I don’t see the issue. Just because you get married doesn’t mean you stop being an individual.

45 years married last July and every penny, where ever it came from, was joint.
Not once did we need to ask each other ….. where, what or why for. ………… there were times in our early years there was so very little in our pockets let alone a bloody bank account but it was always recognised that what was there was ours.

Today we are both 68 y-o and still working full time so with all our salaries, pensions, legitimated investments, sola panel payments, rebates, NI&S PB, or whatever : ………. it still, to this very day, goes into "one pot"

We are all different and one rule does not work for us all but I am (we are actually) proud of what we have achieved together as one very strong unit …………………………… along with 4 kids and 9 grandkids

I could go on about unity in life and defend it etc; but certainly not on these boards, its just not the correct platform, and just to have you know there is no disrespect intended to any poster on this site, ......….we are ALL different!

Last edited:
Separate accounts for us but only because we’re lazy fuckers really and we both quite like the independence. Been married 10 years and money has never been an issue between us including the 3 LONG stints of maternity leave.
Whatever works really, it’s 2018 after all.

I live with my partner. He earns more than me. Vast majority goes into a joint account for bills, food and other crap.

We each have our own sole accounts and we can use that money how we see fit.

I operate the joint account, my OH has nothing to do with it and isn't interested at all.
So does he put more into the joint account or is it equal? It seems to me that if you're living together and he makes more, he should be contributing more, I would think.

I'm wondering because my wife wants us to each have an additional separate account as well as the joint account. I don't really see the point as we're always together but she's probably tired of me giving her shit for all the useless stuff that she buys:lol:

45 years married last July and every penny, where ever it came from, was joint.
Not once did we need to ask each other ….. where, what or why for. ………… there were times in our early years there was so very little in our pockets let alone a bloody bank account but it was always recognised that what was there was ours.

Today we are both 68 y-o and still working full time so with all our salaries, pensions, legitimated investments, sola panel payments, rebates, NI&S PB, or whatever : ………. it still, to this very day, goes into "one pot"

We are all different and one rule does not work for us all but I am (we are actually) proud of what we have achieved together as one very strong unit …………………………… along with 4 kids and 9 grandkids

I could go on about unity in life and defend it etc; but certainly not on these boards, its just not the correct platform, and just to have you know there is no disrespect intended to any poster on this site, ......….we are ALL different!
Well said marra.

Back