Joint accounts or separate accounts?

Separate accounts. Have a joint one for bills. Will never have a shared account. Pointless and not beneficial to anyone.

Pointless? You share a home... you share a life...

Does your missus have to ask you to send her money over Western Union so she can complete the shopping?

What's the crack when you want to buy a bit of furniture? Enter into negotiations?

Does your missus have to ask you to send her money over Western Union so she can complete the shopping?

What's the crack when you want to buy a bit of furniture? Enter into negotiations?
If you don't have shared accounts then you may not be linked financially which might be a good thing for your credit rating.

Joint account for bills. Keep them separate for everything else.

Although at the minute she’s on maternity and is paying fuck all into the joint account.

If you don't have shared accounts then you may not be linked financially which might be a good thing for your credit rating.

It might be a good thing if you're hooked up to someone reckless but, for someone not in that position, I can only see it as being a pain in the arse.

Excepting the above caveat, how demeaning would it be to have to sweet talk your other half into lending you a few bob? Or equally, how demeaning would it be for someone to be stuck at home in rags while the major partner is living it up in the latest gear because they earn more?

I’ve worked in financial services my entire career.

The amount of people I’ve seen who’ve split up, one of them has stopped paying the mortgage or closed the current account with all the direct debits is ridiculous.

Separate accounts all the way. Most sensible person pays the bills, the other sends their share.

This as well. Bills come out of wife's account as she is paid monthly. I'm self employed and pay my share into her account every Friday, works like a dream

It might be a good thing if you're hooked up to someone reckless but, for someone not in that position, I can only see it as being a pain in the arse.

Excepting the above caveat, how demeaning would it be to have to sweet talk your other half into lending you a few bob? Or equally, how demeaning would it be for someone to be stuck at home in rags while the major partner is living it up in the latest gear because they earn more?

Having individual accounts doesn't need to mean either. Our money is both of ours, it's just we don't have an account in joint names. Not sure why now to be honest, originally it was because she had no credit history, but she does now. Maybe it's time to get one really.

Seperate accounts , I pay most bills and take myself 500 quid spending money out a month. She uses her money for food paying for the kids and stuff. I don't see her blowing money on daft things so there's no problem. If I want to blow a couple hundred quid on a night out I just take some out my matched betting account. This also pays for Christmas and holidays

Seperate accounts , I pay most bills and take myself 500 quid spending money out a month. She uses her money for food paying for the kids and stuff. I don't see her blowing money on daft things so there's no problem. If I want to blow a couple hundred quid on a night out I just take some out my matched betting account. This also pays for Christmas and holidays

I'm not cranking your handle here but does your missus manage to earmark 500 notes for her social life each month (nights out being covered by a separate investment of course)?

I'm not cranking your handle here but does your missus manage to earmark 500 notes for her social life each month (nights out being covered by a separate investment of course)?
She doesn't spend much when she's out tbf, and I spend too much. She probably wastes her money on other crap.

No we put an equal amount of money into the joint account if we are buying furniture or something. It’s not rocket science.

Back