Joint accounts or separate accounts?

Live together or married, do you go seperate accounts bills or do you go joint account?

We have separate accounts and fallen into a split of expenses.

I pay rent and all household bills, she pays for shopping, holidays and birthdays/xmas's

We each pay for our own cars and phones.

I earn a decent wage for up here (around £35k) she is self employed and earns significantly more.

Never really worked it out but reckon I am probably paying more in terms of our overall bills/joint expenses.

Had joint accounts in previous relationships and did my head in but at same time this situation isnt great.

How do the wise SMB split their income/expenditure with their spouses/partners?

Live together or married, do you go seperate accounts bills or do you go joint account?

I pay rent and all household bills, she pays for shopping, holidays and birthdays/xmas's

I earn a decent wage for up here (around £35k) she is self employed and earns significantly more.

Never really worked it out but reckon I am probably paying more in terms of our overall bills/joint expenses.

Had joint accounts in previous relationships and did my head in but at same time this situation isnt great.

Don't matter, she'll just spend yours once shes spunked hers on lamps, handbags and high heels that will never be used.

Separate accounts, bills are split almost equally. Joint savings account to put something away each month for unexpected expenses. Whatever is left over is to do with as we please. I used to earn more, now she earns much more, arrangement has never changed but it works for us.

Joint account for bills, family expenditure etc. We both put in roughly the same amount as a percentage of our earnings.

We each have our own accounts for our own individual spending.

Could you not just tell her to stump up more cash?

I’ve worked in financial services my entire career.

The amount of people I’ve seen who’ve split up, one of them has stopped paying the mortgage or closed the current account with all the direct debits is ridiculous.

Separate accounts all the way. Most sensible person pays the bills, the other sends their share.

Last edited:
I work in financial services my entire career.

The amount of people I’ve seen who’ve split up, one of them has stopped paying the mortgage or closed the current account with all the direct debits is ridiculous.

Separate accounts all the way. Most sensible person pays the bills, the other sends their share.
This ,

Our lass pays all the bills ,I chase the money in to pay them .

Back