Joining RAF/Navy from school

Bairn is pretty bright, although the daft shite thinks we’ve only got one stomach, anyways, she’s doing her GCSE’s at the moment and looking at her next move. She’s very much like me and hates exams and is looking for apprenticeships and other options rather than A levels. She’s expected all 6 or over grades, mostly 7 and 8’s in her GCSE’s.

I brought up joining the RAF or Navy and had a quick search and it seems they have some really good and interesting opportunities for school leavers.

Anyone had personal experience or know anyone that has went straight to either of these and forged a good career, are they supportive as they sound? The money looks okay for early career too.
I joined the RAF aged 17 and it was the best thing I've ever done. Did my 9 years and finished as a Cpl. Aim high, try to go for the direct entry roles & with those grades she should also consider aircrew. Starting off as a Sergeant aint bad. Aircraft trades pay the most, and are by far the coolest I can assure you :cool:. I was a tornado liney (airframe fitter) on 17(f) Sqn, an elite squadron that also fought in the Battle of Britain. The Navy is also good but I can't stand boats; the RAF gets it cushy. Forget the Army with those grades.

I joined the RAF aged 17 and it was the best thing I've ever done. Did my 9 years and finished as a Cpl. Aim high, try to go for the direct entry roles & with those grades she should also consider aircrew. Starting off as a Sergeant aint bad. Aircraft trades pay the most, and are by far the coolest I can assure you :cool:. I was a tornado liney (airframe fitter) on 17(f) Sqn, an elite squadron that also fought in the Battle of Britain. The Navy is also good but I can't stand boats; the RAF gets it cushy. Forget the Army with those grades.
I’ve a cousin who left on full pension after serving 22 years as a chief engineer working on aircrafts.

Fucker is loaded. Allowed him to go travel Africa and help build schools and stuff for charity

More qualifications you go in with the better the career......Those who go in after A levels will progress much quicker than those without.

I don't think qualifications count for much when it comes to career progression once you're in, unless you want to commission or become NC Aircrew.

If I could rejoin, I would be an AMM Avionics. They're on supplement 3 of the pay scale now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bairn is pretty bright, although the daft shite thinks we’ve only got one stomach, anyways, she’s doing her GCSE’s at the moment and looking at her next move. She’s very much like me and hates exams and is looking for apprenticeships and other options rather than A levels. She’s expected all 6 or over grades, mostly 7 and 8’s in her GCSE’s.

I brought up joining the RAF or Navy and had a quick search and it seems they have some really good and interesting opportunities for school leavers.

Anyone had personal experience or know anyone that has went straight to either of these and forged a good career, are they supportive as they sound? The money looks okay for early career too.

If he is gay join the RAF or Navy if he is trans join the Army

I don't think qualifications count for much when it comes to career progression once you're in, unless you want to commission or become NC Aircrew.

If I could rejoin, I would be an AMM Avionics. They're on supplement 3 of the pay scale now.

My understanding is that you tend to have access to very different roles which tend to be higher paying and those roles to offer quicker progression. Worked with the Forces careers guys when i was teaching and that is what they told the kids (2 years ago)

Back