John O'Shea for new gaffer

StevenSOL

Goalkeeper
Surprised I haven't heard big John O'Shea linked with the job. Getting some coaching experience with Reading at the moment and being linked with their vacancy.

Always put in a shift for us and knows the club.
Could be a good combo with either SKP or Keane? Maybe even all 3!

Last edited:

Surprised I haven't heard big John O'Shea linked with the job. Getting some coaching experience with Reading at the moment and being linked with their vacancy.

I doubt the money is there to pay one of them let alone three. Keane wouldn’t hack it here without a king’s ransome. Phillips and O’Shea are untried. I think we could do worse but would they be the yes men needed?

I thought the same at first but its a different kettle of fish in management. He might have had a poor finish to his career with us but I honestly think he could do a job at the helm. Surely if Reading want him we could get there first.

Is football management the only career where people walk into high profile jobs with absolutely zero experience of that job? The likes of SKP and O’Shea should be a million miles away from the thoughts of the owners to fill this position.
Playing the game successfully and managing / coaching the game successfully are two very different things.

I doubt the money is there to pay one of them let alone three. Keane wouldn’t hack it here without a king’s ransome. Phillips and O’Shea are untried. I think we could do worse but would they be the yes men needed?

Your probably right might be a bit over the top with 3. I guess my logic is with the names being bounded about I wouldn't be against giving KP or O'shea a go till end of season then re evaluate

Is football management the only career where people walk into high profile jobs with absolutely zero experience of that job? The likes of SKP and O’Shea should be a million miles away from the thoughts of the owners to fill this position.
Playing the game successfully and managing / coaching the game successfully are two very different things.

You could argue that club captains have enough transferable skills to adapt to the role - especially when things like transfers are non existent at the moment. With the state the club is in at the moment I think its the perfect time to give one of the three suggested a go.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Sure he used to manage the junior teams to get his badges.

Apparently he ruled himself out when he realised that he would have to lead the player's delegation to complain about the manager.

Back