John Holder - Ball tampering by England before Pakistan?

From the article:

John Holder doesn’t really like speaking out. As he says: “It’s not my style.”

So what happened here then? Was he being interrogated under duress? Tortured?

Seems like odd timing.

Very one sided article from an incident 30 years ago.

Maybe we should have had more BAME umpires, but cricket is pretty niche sport and being an umpire professionally is even more niche.

Seems pretty anecdotal. I can't remember any England player of that time who could reliably reverse swing it anyway.

From the article:

John Holder doesn’t really like speaking out. As he says: “It’s not my style.”

So what happened here then? Was he being interrogated under duress? Tortured?

Seems like odd timing.

He also spoke out recently about institutional racism in the ECB.

If true, he’s right to speak out, but for someone who doesn’t like speaking out...

In the article he says he was sacked in 1991 from the Test Match panel, but was the third umpire in 1992 when a 'hypocritical' Gooch would examine the ball in the lunch and tea breaks.

If that is true and he still did nothing about it, then he is as much to blame as any player who 'allegedly' tampered with the ball.

30 years on he blows the whistle ...... too little too late and smacks of bitterness to me

He also spoke out recently about institutional racism in the ECB.

If true, he’s right to speak out, but for someone who doesn’t like speaking out...

All probably just to add more weight to his sides argument when the case comes round. Good luck to him, but I think it’s a nothing story.

Tuffers figures in this game are rather strange.Ist inns 6-26 yet in 2nd, W.Indies following on, 1-150?
Scorecard on this game hpttps://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/54/54751.html

Last edited:
Read the first paragraph and stopped there. There's no merit in revealing anecdotal evidence when it's clouded by self aggrandisment. I'd rather have proof of racism and ball tampering than a tale of one man fighting the establishment in his own mind.

What a shame, he must have a big axe to grind to talk about this 30 years later. I always thought he was a decent ump but they all have a best before date, even the much loved dickie bird (didn’t rate him, too much of a batsman’s ump) and David shepherd (did rate him but it got too much for him in the end too).

"More than suspicious" because he didn't receive a reply when applying for a job that didn't exist :lol:

Dawood's claims are more serious and likely carry some weight, Holder is talking absolute nonsense.

Back