Joe Aribo

While I'm inclined to agree with you, we do have the benefit of hindsight. If we'd gone up regardless selling him could have been seen as the correct decision also.

True but at that time in january he was our main man and pulling us out the shite in most games. To get rid of him at that time was a bad footballing decision for our team

your comments are the short sighted ones. you're advocated losing Maja for ten times less than we could receive in the hope he got us up. everything you're saying revolves around Maja making the difference in us being promoted or not and we weren't even in a automatic promotion place when he left. there wete absolutely no guarantees to keeping him and factually he played 7 more games scoring once and then got injured.

The only guarantee was that we'd need to replace him now and would have to find the fee.

as I said previously recruitment as always let us down.
I agree the recruitment let us down but you could argue that the recruitment was only necessary because we sold Maja, we simply didn't have any scouting infrastructure to go and find a replacement instead making in my opinion a lazy and ill thought out signing. Why bother taking the risk? We didn't end up better off financially or on the pitch so what was the point? Mistakes like that were meant to be left in the past. I also think we would have got much more than £350,000 at a tribunal.

I agree the recruitment let us down but you could argue that the recruitment was only necessary because we sold Maja, we simply didn't have any scouting infrastructure to go and find a replacement instead making in my opinion a lazy and ill thought out signing. Why bother taking the risk? We didn't end up better off financially or on the pitch so what was the point? Mistakes like that were meant to be left in the past. I also think we would have got much more than £350,000 at a tribunal.
because he went abroad isnt the amount of tribunal money set at a fixed amount regardless? and snt it less than £350k?
the scoutng should have been better..but it was lazy..JR doesnt know many players in egngland so went for one he had heard of..
same as with leadbitter..

because he went abroad isnt the amount of tribunal money set at a fixed amount regardless? and snt it less than £350k?
the scoutng should have been better..but it was lazy..JR doesnt know many players in egngland so went for one he had heard of..
same as with leadbitter..
He went abroad in January to a club that we owed money to, nothing to suggest he would have gone abroad in the summer. If he had stayed with us and continued his scoring rate he could have been a cheap gamble for a promoted club. Jack Ross is the manager not a scout.

Last edited:
He went abroad in January to a club that we owed money to, nothing to suggest he would have gone abroad in the summer. If he had stayed with us and continued his scoring rate he could have been a cheap gamble for a promoted club.
by going abroad it made him more money.
aribo went "abroad" in the football sense at the end of his contract..its more lucrative..aribo has the same agent as maja.

True but at that time in january he was our main man and pulling us out the shite in most games. To get rid of him at that time was a bad footballing decision for our team

He absolutely was the main man and if it was inevitable he was going to go (not sure how true that is) then we intended to replace him. Tbf I think a lot off is thought Grigg would do the job despite any reservation over his price.

He went abroad in January to a club that we owed money to, nothing to suggest he would have gone abroad in the summer. If he had stayed with us and continued his scoring rate he could have been a cheap gamble for a promoted club. Jack Ross is the manager not a scout.

Didn't he turn down Cardiff though who were offering us more? His agent is the same one as Sancho's iirc and he wanted to play.

No its really not, taking money without thinking how it would impact the team, so short sighted

I can't seriously believe anyone is peddling this nonsense, it was clearly the wrong decision, sell your best player at a key moment in the season

Just trying to get as much money in while they were here.

Don't be so stubborn man.

Why didn't Charlton sell then?

Not everything is about money you know, the objective is to win football matches

It's taking money and reinvesting though rather than ending the season with next to nothing an no player.

again every single thing you say rests on getting promoted with Maja here, which there was absolutely no guarantee of. you whole argument rests on it and we weren't even in the automatic places when he left and i worked it out previously he was here for something like 11 of the draws.

you speak like it was definite, absolute. but be played seven games, mostly from the bench and got injured at Bordeaux. it shows that your argument was a gamble too.

You keep harping on about Charlton not selling Aribo, but were they offered 1m, 2m for him? They sold Grant quickly enough in January

Charlton Athletic boss Bowyer explains why Karlan Grant loan-back was never an option

That's what Bowyer says about Grants contract.

Last edited:
Didn't he turn down Cardiff though who were offering us more? His agent is the same one as Sancho's iirc and he wanted to play.

It's taking money and reinvesting though rather than ending the season with next to nothing an no player.

again every single thing you say rests on getting promoted with Maja here, which there was absolutely no guarantee of. you whole argument rests on it and we weren't even in the automatic places when he left and i worked it out previously he was here for something like 11 of the draws.

you speak like it was definite, absolute. but be played seven games, mostly from the bench and got injured at Bordeaux. it shows that your argument was a gamble too.

You keep harping on about Charlton not selling Aribo, but were they offered 1m, 2m for him? They sold Grant quickly enough in January

Charlton Athletic boss Bowyer explains why Karlan Grant loan-back was never an option

That's what Bowyer says about Grants contract.

Nothings guaranteed in football

selling your best player in January to get some money in is never gonna improve the team though is it

its a bad decision, and he has admitted enough

Not sure why you're clutching at straws so much

Nothings guaranteed in football

selling your best player in January to get some money in is never gonna improve the team though is it

its a bad decision, and he has admitted enough

Not sure why you're clutching at straws so much

I'm not clutching at straws. you mistakenly said I was looking only at the short term, when all you were looking at was the short term goal of promotion. I find that incredible tbh. I've pointed out how reinvesting money rather than losing it was looking at the long term. Selling and not reinvesting, now that would have been a mistake from the off, but we didn't do that.

Also find it weird how you're now saying nothings guaranteed, because for weeks the crux of your argument has centred on us going up, otherwise your argument doesn't make sense.

Given there's no solid evidence to show we would have, that Maja only played 7 more games before injury ruled him put for the season and that we weren't in an automatic promotion place when he was sold and drew more games with him here, then using the same kind.of hindsight as we can now use with Grigg, factually speaking your argument is fucked. As I've said continously the problem was not selling Maja, it was in the recruitment.

That's not clutching at straws, it's just measuring things on knowledge we now have at hand.

Donald has admitted no such f***ing thing, you're now just making things up.

Last edited:
I'm not clutching at straws. you mistakenly said I was looking only at the short term, when all you were looking at was the short term goal of promotion. I find that incredible tbh. I've pointed out how reinvesting money rather than losing it was looking at the long term. Selling and not reinvesting, now that would have been a mistake from the off, but we didn't do that.

Also find it weird how you're now saying nothings guaranteed, because for weeks the crux of your argument has centred on us going up, otherwise your argument doesn't make sense.

Given there's no solid evidence to show we would have, that Maja only played 7 more games before injury ruled him put for the season and that we weren't in an automatic promotion place when he was sold and drew more games with him here, then using the same kind.of hindsight as we can now use with Grigg, factually speaking your argument is fucked. As I've said continously the problem was not selling Maja, it was in the recruitment.

That's not clutching at straws, it's just measuring things on knowledge we now have at hand.

Eh? I can't believe you seriously think it was the right decision, it clearly wasn't

They did it for purely financial reasons and not football reasons

Its another in a long line of very very poor football decisions in the past 5 years

Good job we paid that debt of to Bordeux though!

You do know the idea is to win games not be a self sufficient league one club?

You are stubborn I'll give you that

Lets agree to disagree on this one, as just going round in circles marra.

Last edited:
No its really not, taking money without thinking how it would impact the team, so short sighted

I can't seriously believe anyone is peddling this nonsense, it was clearly the wrong decision, sell your best player at a key moment in the season

Just trying to get as much money in while they were here.

Don't be so stubborn man.

Why didn't Charlton sell then?

Not everything is about money you know, the objective is to win football matches
They sold their top scorer in january and didnt replace him

Whilst I don't want to get drawn in again on whether Maja would have got us up I want to point out, SD absolutely admitted it was a mistake in hindsight in his podcast just after the PO final.

Back