Job dilemma

Ive was offered a job on friday which aint great pay but any money is better than none. So i accepted. 3 months outta work has been a pain

Today ive been approached to go for a job double the salary. Am i twat for entertaining the idea of going for it and leaving first company in lurch, or am i doing right by hedging bets. Keep job 1 if i dont get job 2, ditch job 1 if i do get it.

I really hate going back on my word..

I think you have to do what's right for you and your family. If the better paid job is permanent, it's a no-brainer for sure.

Was the lower paid job a friend or family? You've some fancy talking to do in that case, but you need to be honest.

Talk to the better paying company & then make a decision if possible. Money isn't everything & in my experience more money means an expectation of sacrificing more of your own life, so you might be happier in the lower paying job.

Ive was offered a job on friday which aint great pay but any money is better than none. So i accepted. 3 months outta work has been a pain

Today ive been approached to go for a job double the salary. Am i twat for entertaining the idea of going for it and leaving first company in lurch, or am i doing right by hedging bets. Keep job 1 if i dont get job 2, ditch job 1 if i do get it.

Tell them the truth, they won't be surprised to hear you took the vastly higher paid job and besides there should? be plenty of other candidates , in these times, for them to hire.

Just remember that they 1st job will have you on a probation period, that works both ways, it might not be right for you and you'll be respected more for realising that and walking away.

I did a permie job for a big bank but hated all of the "corporate" stuff that I was expected to do and surrounded it as a permanent employee so walked away, a couple of years later I was back working for them as a contractor and survived a lot longer.

You don’t own the first Company anything.
Just think if you were working and they wanted to get rid of you, they would.
Get that other interview sorted. First Company could always meet your new offer if they want you. If not then you have done nothing wrong.
Maybe you should get yourself and agent :)
Good luck mate.

To be honest, double the money could work out less in the long run. Which one is most secure at this moment in time? Which is likely to weather the economic storm the better?

You’re only a number and they’ll drop you quickly if they needed...go for the other job and look after yourself!

Interview tomorrow. Just the sc clearance will be a pain as thats two weeks which take me into start time of job 1

Take job one until start date of job two then tell them that you’re sorry but you’ve been offered a better job on double the money they are paying you. Then moonwalk out.

I took on a new job during covid and was offered a more appealing one weeks later, with the same wage but turned out down for similar reasons.
But if it was double money I'd have left no problem at all.
If the new offer is a stable job you'd be silly to turn it down imo.

Whilst there’s a big difference in cash and looks to be a no brainier , it would be good of you to let the 1st employer know ASAP so they can rehire . It might be critical for them.
Are they a small family business or a large firm ?
Those saying fcuk them and show no loyalty are usually the same ones who cry about ‘loyalty’ when firms are sacking employees.
Good luck whatever you decide.

Tell them the truth and apologise. It's a no-brainer and they'll surely realise that.

No brainier really. If whoever you will be telling your leaving would deny they would do the same for double the salary they are either stupid or lying. Probably both.

Back