Jimmy Greaves has been airbrushed from history

Greaves is in a bad way as I understand it

absolutely fabulous goal scorer
Very bad way. No money and not great mentally.

A friend of mine has been trying to make a film about him with the intention of donating the proceeds to Greaves and his family but despite promises from Spurs and the likes of Alan Sugar and Harry Kane etc he's not been able to get the funding together to get it properly off the ground. He's still trying but BT Sports are apparently putting something together on him now - I'm not sure Greaves himself stands to benefit financially from that though.

When did the number of games change to 38? Was that with the introduction of the Premier league? Guess it would make sense to compare eras on that basis.

Greaves is in a bad way as I understand it

absolutely fabulous goal scorer

Too young to remember him playing but watched a documentary about him and watched lots of goals on the Internet.

An absolutely phenomenal goalscorer.

Bit of a 'one trick pony' too though. ;) :lol:

Most of his goals were the same:
Take the ball between the half way line and the box facing opposition goal.
Absolutely obscene burst of pace going from standing still to flat out in about 3 steps.
Slight changes of direction and feinting putting various defenders on their arse as he ghosts past them.
Burst through on goal, run at keeper, wait for him to commit, then roll the ball past him on the other side or dink it over him.
Repeat...

I remember thinking how frustrated and angry you'd be as a defender or goalkeeper because he was so controlled and casual about everything he did before passing the ball into the net with you all on your arses.

Absolutely filthy goalscorer, any attempt to pretend he wasn't a football great is laughable.

When did the number of games change to 38? Was that with the introduction of the Premier league? Guess it would make sense to compare eras on that basis.

I think it was one or two seasons after the Premier League started.

The first season definitely still had 22 teams.

Back