Jimmy Greaves has been airbrushed from history

Greaves is simply the greatest English goalscorer that’s ever been.

Statistically it’s Greaves 2nd behind the legend that is Dixie Dean, who scored 8 goals every 9 games in the top division, and more than a goal per game for England. And he was playing at a time when football was proper tough.

Fantastic footballer. Watching Messi always puts me in mind of Jimmy, phenomenal control, similar running style, low centre of gravity, incredible first touch. That's how good Greavsie was.

Spot on fella.

One of my favourite players when I was a bairn. He had absolutely everything.

Remarkable grace and control considering the badly tended allotments masquerading as football pitches.

Funnily enough watching the Villa v Man City game yesterday, I thought that Aguero with that low cenre of gravity of his has a touch of Greaves about him.

Then only record Agüero has been credited with is most prolific ‘overseas footballer’ in the English game, overtaking Thierry Henry yesterday. To the best of my knowledge Jimmy Greaves was was English.

No he wouldn’t. He made his England debut at a similar time to Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton who both got over 100 caps. His goals for England totally dried up in ‘65 and his goals per game ratio in the league dropped dramatically around a similar time. Put simply his body stopped being able to cope as much with the drinking, whilst Ramsey wouldn’t pick anyone who used to drink regularly in the build up to games.
So how many games do England play now in a four year period compared to then

No he wouldn’t. He made his England debut at a similar time to Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton who both got over 100 caps. His goals for England totally dried up in ‘65 and his goals per game ratio in the league dropped dramatically around a similar time. Put simply his body stopped being able to cope as much with the drinking, whilst Ramsey wouldn’t pick anyone who used to drink regularly in the build up to games.
His stats are quite remarkable.
With Chelsea before he was 21 he scored 124 league goals in 157 games!
Statistically it’s Greaves 2nd behind the legend that is Dixie Dean, who scored 8 goals every 9 games in the top division, and more than a goal per game for England. And he was playing at a time when football was proper tough.
He wasn’t in the same class.

Can remember Englands og, it was a header.

Joke is that season, Hurst stuck 6 past us at West Ham, add Greaves 4 + Tambling 4. Thats 14 goals by 3 players in same season against us

Didn't go to West Ham, but wonder if anyone on here went to all 3 to witness these goals!
My first season Iirc. Home games only. Harris or Suggett lookedvour only players capable of scoring. Harris looked about 60!
About ten per season Nowadays averaged over a four year cycle. Back then there was Russia and Yugoslavia. Now there’s about 20 “new” nations that didn’t exist back then inc Andorra, Lichtenstein, we’re Israel inc in uefa back then?.
The EC & WC had nowhere near the number of finalists back then either.

Last edited:
What was the story with him being dropped in the 66 final?

I know Ramsey didn’t want to change the team due to lack of subs but there were a few stories with him coming back from injury or that he was on the piss quite a lot.

No idea. But Bobby Charlton played an average of more than 8 games per year over his career with England, so not massively less than now. Charlton played 15 England games in 66. From the age of 26 onwards Greavsie scored 1 goal for England in 8 games.
What was the story with him being dropped in the 66 final?

I know Ramsey didn’t want to change the team due to lack of subs but there were a few stories with him coming back from injury or that he was on the piss quite a lot.
He was dropped after the group games after a run of 5 games without a goal and rumours of a few beers.

Last edited:
Ah Jimmy, great goal scoring record. Never had a good word for Sunderland. Remember him and Ian St John ridiculing us when we got to the FA Cup Final in 73. Don't think he even mentions Sunderland in his Autobiography even tho we were in the same League for most of the time.

His stats are quite remarkable.
With Chelsea before he was 21 he scored 124 league goals in 157 games!

He wasn’t in the same class.
Unless you saw him play then I’d have to say you’re not in a position to say that. Dixie Dean scored 115 goals in 111 top flight games by the time he was 22.

Often regarded as the best game Greaves played was in 1963 against the Rest of the World at Wembley. He never dived but kept on going when he was fouled as this game shows. Could have scored a hat full this game except for the legendary Lev Yashin in goal.

Imagine if clough hadn't got injured too, 251 goals in 274 appearances between us and smoggies.
Phenomenal

Unless you saw him play then I’d have to say you’re not in a position to say that. Dixie Dean scored 115 goals in 111 top flight games by the time he was 22.
He was a big powerful centre forward who got on the end of stuff, fantastic you can’t deny. Greaves was a ballerina in comparison, he could make his own goals.
Also Dean, Dave Halliday and many other strikers benefited from the change in the offside rule in 1925.
For a while afterwards defences were in disarray.

Last edited:

I agree. They have their place, but I'm not a fan of these "premier league records".
I got stuck in the middle of a row between a Liverpool fan and a Villa. The LFC fan was saying how great last season was and how great a team Man City are. He claimed LFC will win the league this season. Villa fan claimed they were shit and a small club. Their best league was second like Villa. I pointed out they won it 18 times. He's response was "they aren't PL titles. You can't count them."

Don’t see what the problem is in distinguishing between eras. The games completely different now to the 60s and almost incomparable, hence the insanity of the arguments about the GOAT. The standards and expectations are different - scoring goals is different and defending is different. Needs to be some natural distinction for stats to have any meaning whatsoever, otherwise there’d be no new records ever around goals scored as they’d be dwarfed by 1880s games between pub teams and professional teams

Too young to remember him playing but watched a documentary about him and watched lots of goals on the Internet.

An absolutely phenomenal goalscorer.

Bit of a 'one trick pony' too though. ;) :lol:

Most of his goals were the same:
Take the ball between the half way line and the box facing opposition goal.
Absolutely obscene burst of pace going from standing still to flat out in about 3 steps.
Slight changes of direction and feinting putting various defenders on their arse as he ghosts past them.
Burst through on goal, run at keeper, wait for him to commit, then roll the ball past him on the other side or dink it over him.
Repeat...

I remember thinking how frustrated and angry you'd be as a defender or goalkeeper because he was so controlled and casual about everything he did before passing the ball into the net with you all on your arses.

Absolutely filthy goalscorer, any attempt to pretend he wasn't a football great is laughable.
Sounds like (fat) Ronaldo

Back