Jimmy ‘Chico’ Hamilton

Morning everyone

Thought this might be of interest - a chat with Jimmy ‘Chico’ Hamilton

Anyone remember seeing him play?

I was in the Roker End when he came on against Preston then scored the equaliser. As a group of 14 year old kids we went mental and couldn't believe a kid just a couple of years older than us had achieved the dream that we all had of scoring a winner. Youngest outfield debutant until Chris Rigg. Shame that his career did not reach the heady heights we thought he would.

I used to love that shop, went in there as often as I could afford to lol. I remember that Burnley game too, was it Good Friday? I did something that day that i've never done since (apart from Southampton away but we were 7 nil down at the time) and that is I left really early, could have been 20 mins before the end of the match when we were 3 v 1 down. Think we scored as just we got out of the fulwell end and we didn't go back in. It's haunted me to this day :mad:
Easter Monday iirc
I was at the Burnley game too. Only just over 14k attended and there was even less at the PNE game earlier in the season. This time Dave Watson scored two, a collector's item from Keith Coleman and the winner from sub Billy Hughes. Two 4-3 wins in the same campaign, them were the days 😂.
I used to think Keith Coleman was great until Joe Bolton came along.

We literally had a pipeline of players coming through the youth ranks
I was in the kids enclosure in the Roker End hanging on to the fence in the front row. Not a comfortable way to watch a match and had to get down every now and again. Still remember the header.
I was on that same fence for that game, though just outside the kid’s enclosure, Clock Stand side

Last edited:
I remember him at the time as being a great prospect but I don’t know what’s happened to me memory but hadn’t realised he’d played first team games!
Always thought he’d married a local lass from Whitburn.

😉 Billy Elliott was responsible for converting Dave Watson from a reasonably good striker to a World class centre-half. Nowt to do with Alan Brown (or Bob Stokoe)..
My point exactly.
Alan Brown, who signed Dave Watson, predicted it without him playing him as a centre half.
Billy Elliott,as I recall,didn't do too much wrong.

Morning everyone

Thought this might be of interest - a chat with Jimmy ‘Chico’ Hamilton

Anyone remember seeing him play?

Really interesting to find out what happened after he left us

Jimmy Hamilton was the substitute on first game at RP in the autumn of 1972. I vaguely remember the crowd getting excited as he come off the bench.Wish I could the recall the opposition and the score.

😉 Billy Elliott waElls responsible for converting Dave Watson from a reasonably good striker to a World class centre-half. Nowt to do with Alan Brown (or Bob Stokoe)..
Elliott moved big Dave back to CH - very true. However Alan Brown was asked, by a memeber of the press, why Dave was playing Centre Forward when he was so obviously a brilliant centre-half? Mr Brown totally agreed about Dave's ability for Centre-Half was not in doubt but could he just say that Dave was also the best Centre Foward the club had.

Easter Monday iirc

I used to think Keith Coleman was great until Joe Bolton came along.

We literally had a pipeline of players coming through the youth ranks

I was on that same fence for that game, though just outside the kid’s enclosure, Clock Stand side
I recall your feet were angled at about 45 degrees on the sloping cement on top of the wall, so you had to hang on with your hands as well. Some lucky kids had swing seats suspended by ropes that hung on the railings.

I quickly came to prefer the Fulwell End but if we were kicking into the Roker End goal second half we used to run round to the Roker End kids enclosure for the last 15 minutes or so when they opened all the gates.
I was there unbelievable game,he scored the winner If my memory is correct.

Diving header I think
Recollections may differ but I thought Hamilton scored with a towering header from a corner, outjumping their defenders.
I used to love that shop, went in there as often as I could afford to lol. I remember that Burnley game too, was it Good Friday? I did something that day that i've never done since (apart from Southampton away but we were 7 nil down at the time) and that is I left really early, could have been 20 mins before the end of the match when we were 3 v 1 down. Think we scored as just we got out of the fulwell end and we didn't go back in. It's haunted me to this day :mad:
Used to buy some little thing in the club shop at most games. Maybe a little metal blazer badge for example showing a black cat and stacks of old programmes from seasons gone by.
Used to buy some little thing in the club shop at most games. Maybe a little metal blazer badge for example showing a black cat and stacks of old programmes from seasons gone by.

I won two tickets for the Clock Stand seats by sending in a soccer smile competition in the programme.

It was during the miners’ strike and I suggested our defence could be struggling without Keith Coleman and Richie Pitt.😂

Last edited:
I missed Bobby Kerr's late debut winner against Man City. My dad takes the blame for that.
I was at the Burnley game too. Only just over 14k attended and there was even less at the PNE game earlier in the season. This time Dave Watson scored two, a collector's item from Keith Coleman and the winner from sub Billy Hughes. Two 4-3 wins in the same campaign, them were the days 😂.
You might recall a 3-1 lead we lost in the closing minutes against Millwall that season. A real sickener. Two corners. There is clear footage on You Tube - it is the Tyne Tees Shoot highlights.

Last edited:
Elliott moved big Dave back to CH - very true. However Alan Brown was asked, by a memeber of the press, why Dave was playing Centre Forward when he was so obviously a brilliant centre-half? Mr Brown totally agreed about Dave's ability for Centre-Half was not in doubt but could he just say that Dave was also the best Centre Foward the club had.
Nowt's changed then 🤣
Great read that although i cannot remember him, and i was going to the matches then, probably my memory more than anything else.
Agree totally! I was also was going to all the matches then but, apart from the name, can't really remember him at all.
I remember him at the time as being a great prospect but I don’t know what’s happened to me memory but hadn’t realised he’d played first team games!
Always thought he’d married a local lass from Whitburn.
Me too!

Last edited:
I remember games from those days much clearer than games in current times!
He hadnt been on the pitch long when a cross came in from the right wing and he rose like a salmon at the back post to head in the winner at the Roker End.
Was at the Burnley 4-3 too later that season.

Ditto …only I thought the ball came over from the left wing (main stand ) and he was at back post. I was in clock stand.
Ridiculous isn’t it you can remember these games, they made such a big impression on us as boys

Good read that. Seems to know his football and has a good memory, which in my experience I find unusual in many former footballers.

Not to be confused with Chico Hamilton who played for Aston Villa around the same time.

The photo I recall showed Jimmy high above the Preston defender, who was struggling to get anywhere near him, as he nodded the ball in. The Preston defender was the late, great Jimmy McNab.

Hello Jimmy - Good to see you after all this time. John Phillips (Asst to Ron Linney)

Last edited:

Back