Jim Sterling Vs. Digital Homicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else followed this debacle?

Apparently there's a game developer who's dodgy. He buys demo game assets and releases them as full games.

Introduction

Online argument / debate

A few Jimquisition viewers in here, myself included. It's been both funny and tedious.

Digital Homicide were shady and/or released shit asset flip games.

Jim uses his platform to slate and/or bully them extensively.

It's a petty lawsuit against a game industry journalist (commentator?) who was pretty petty in the way he covered them.

Sterling is one of the few people I support on patreon.

A few Jimquisition viewers in here, myself included. It's been both funny and tedious.

Digital Homicide were shady and/or released shit asset flip games.

Jim uses his platform to slate and/or bully them extensively.

It's a petty lawsuit against a game industry journalist (commentator?) who was pretty petty in the way he covered them.

Sterling is one of the few people I support on patreon.
At 20:20 They start arguing about the semantics of the definition of a word. It's like one of our arguments on day 5 or something haha

Actually, dispite the asset flipping and unprofessionalism of Digital Homicide, Jim Sterling comes across as a conceited bitter fucktard in that interview.

despite*

As I dig deeper it getting more and more like Jim Sterling is just a bully and DH as not as bad as made out.

It seems that Digital Homicide never actually did asset flipping. They did use assets that you buy to make games, just like you'd buy music and sounds effects. This is a very normal practice for games developers, especially indie ones. There's a whole marketplace for this that is ties into Unity. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/
But asset flipping is usually reserved as a term for when you buy complete sets of assets that are a whole game (albeit not content complete) that runs and then sell that as your own. As far as I can tell they never did that.
The fact or not if thier games are shit or not is not relevant IMHO.

Last edited:
At 20:20 They start arguing about the semantics of the definition of a word. It's like one of our arguments on day 5 or something haha

Actually, dispite the asset flipping and unprofessionalism of Digital Homicide, Jim Sterling comes across as a conceited bitter fucktard in that interview.

despite*

As I dig deeper it getting more and more like Jim Sterling is just a bully and DH as not as bad as made out.

It seems that Digital Homicide never actually did asset flipping. They did use assets that you buy to make games, just like you'd buy music and sounds effects. This is a very normal practice for games developers, especially indie ones. There's a whole marketplace for this that is ties into Unity. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/
But asset flipping is usually reserved as a term for when you buy complete sets of assets that are a whole game (albeit not content complete) that runs and then sell that as your own. As far as I can tell they never did that.
The fact or not if thier games are shit or not is not relevant IMHO.

I think in Sterling's case it was to highlight everything wrong with Steam Greenlight. Flooding it with games and exchanging votes for Steam keys etc. I think it just started out as shtick, with DH just embodying everything he hates about it, but when DH threatened him with legal action, attacked his channel with takedown notices and tried to DOXX him in an interview, it became fairly personal for him.

I don't think he's in the wrong at all in this case, his online persona would always take the ball and run with any ammunition he was given.

Aye seen that myself. I don't know the legalities but apparently the way it was closed means it's can't be revisited or summit.
Either way FTM etc and so forth.
It was frivolous anyway, this is the same company that tried to sue a load of steam users that have them shit reviews. :lol:

Sterling gave them more notoriety than they ever would have gotten alone, I bet they had a lot of people drop a couple of quid on one of their shitty games off the back of him ripping them to shreds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back