Jennings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very poor shot to get out. Didn't look convincing throughout his innings

I dont know like. Ive faced bowling of 80mph+ and I reckon I know when its pitched outside leg. I'm surprised he didnt call for a review without hesistation.
So you've watched all of your experiences of fast bowling on slo-mo replays confirming you know where the ball pitches every time.

No, I thought not. ;)

Only a professional would get this type of recorded feedback, and you will have absolutely no idea how good or bad your judgement is without it.

So you've watched all of your experiences of fast bowling on slo-mo replays confirming you know where the ball pitches every time.

No, I thought not. ;)

Only a professional would get this type of recorded feedback, and you will have absolutely no idea how good or bad your judgement is without it.

Do you play? If you open the batting for 30 years you know where your stumps are and you base your shot selections on where the ball pitches. If you start dealing with balls that pitch outside leg the same way as you do when they are on the stumps you aren't going to score many runs :lol:

Do you play? If you open the batting for 30 years you know where your stumps are and you base your shot selections on where the ball pitches. If you start dealing with balls that pitch outside leg the same way as you do when they are on the stumps you aren't going to score many runs :lol:
Of course I've played. You think you line it up right, but you never really know. You've obviously never been bowled out or caught leg before as you've never made a mistake or error of judgement. You must have played for England. Let me know who you were.

Of course I've played. You think you line it up right, but you never really know. You've obviously never been bowled out or caught leg before as you've never made a mistake or error of judgement. You must have played for England. Let me know who you were.

Tons of errors of judgement but I know straightaway when ive made one :lol:

Yet Professionals clearly don't and you claim you do.

They do 99.9% of the time hence the surprise by every member of the commentary team on Sky, 5 live etc why Jennings and Ballance between them didn't review on that occasion.

I would also state if you do play cricket you also know as a batsman when it pitches outside leg. You are just arguing for the sake of it and being a little bit of a knob in the process ;)

They do 99.9% of the time hence the surprise by every member of the commentary team on Sky, 5 live etc why Jennings and Ballance between them didn't review on that occasion.

I would also state if you do play cricket you also know as a batsman when it pitches outside leg. You are just arguing for the sake of it and being a little bit of a knob in the process ;)
That could just as easily be levelled at you. ;)

I think he has a point mind, although I agree the way he is putting his argument across leaves a lot to be desired.

The difference between knowing whether pitched on the stumps or outside leg stump is very minimal you could be talking centremetres, and I still think the criticism for not reviewing has been unduly harsh.

I think he has a point mind, although I agree the way he is putting his argument across leaves a lot to be desired.

The difference between knowing whether pitched on the stumps or outside leg stump is very minimal you could be talking centremetres, and I still think the criticism for not reviewing has been unduly harsh.
If its so easy to see pitching in line or not how come the umpires don't get it right every time either.
There is now some discussion on changing the DRS for those decisions close to being in line and having an orange zone which would be umpires call. Its never that straightforward as he suggests.

I don't think there has been much criticism just surprise. How often do you ever find an LBW not reviewed that pitches outside leg? I bet Jennings first instinct was that it could have pitched outside leg but as someone new to the team and getting no help from the other end reluctantly didn't review.

If its so easy to see pitching in line or not how come the umpires don't get it right every time either.
There is now some discussion on changing the DRS for those decisions close to being in line and having an orange zone which would be umpires call. Its never that straightforward as he suggests.

You say that but I think umpires are tremendous in that regard. Sometimes they get it wrong marginally on height, or hitting outside the line etc but they rarely give decisions that pitch outside leg.

Last edited:
I don't think there has been much criticism just surprise. How often do you ever find an LBW not reviewed that pitches outside leg? I bet Jennings first instinct was that it could have pitched outside leg but as someone new to the team and getting no help from the other end reluctantly didn't review.

You say that but I think umpires are tremendous in that regard. Sometimes they get it wrong marginally on height, or hitting outside the line etc but they rarely give decisions that pitch outside leg.

Yeah fair enough if in doubt just review, just simply think when it happens at the pace it does it's not easy or as straightforward as some have suggested,

The mind plays tricks on you when you're under pressure, as a player and as an umpire and these are magnified by small margins.
If Jennings reviewed early on, despite being given no guidance, and it had turned out wrong, He would have got stick for that too. A review lost can cost later down the line too. 50-50 calls for me.
SA lost both of their reviews early on in Englands second innings. They were lucky it didn't have too much of an impact due to the length of the remainder of Englands innings.

It's all about opinions;)

Jennings is in possession but Stoneman is banging down that door. Jennings could do with some big runs next week.

I'm aware Stoneman could replace Ballance but is that going to happen? "Captains pick"

Jennings is in possession but Stoneman is banging down that door. Jennings could do with some big runs next week.

I'm aware Stoneman could replace Ballance but is that going to happen? "Captains pick"
No it's not.

England don't like picking someone and dropping them again immediately and I can see the reasons for it.

Root when out of his way to praise both Jennings and Balance at the end of he match saying their contributions had been crucial on a pitch that was difficult to play on and to be fair Marahaj was bowling very well.

I know he hasn't got much runs for Lancs since his injury comeback but I really liked the look of that Hameed. How many would have him in back and around the squad? I know Stoneman should be too.

I know he hasn't got much runs for Lancs since his injury comeback but I really liked the look of that Hameed. How many would have him in back and around the squad? I know Stoneman should be too.

His time will come again. Hes a good player but his form was such he was unselectable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back