Jealous?

Arctic Monkeys at the Manor Quay.

was it the subways who played something like the week before or after the monkeys?

Just remember there was loads of anticipation seeing the arctic monkeys at the time. They must have only been about 17.

couple of other gigs:

The Strokes in Nottingham
DJ Shadow in Gateshead
Rolling Stones in Hyde Park (albeit they were old)

gigs jealous of:
Woodstock
Queen/Rolling Stones at Rock in Rio
Always wanted to see LCD sound system

was it the subways who played something like the week before or after the monkeys?

Just remember there was loads of anticipation seeing the arctic monkeys at the time. They must have only been about 17.

couple of other gigs:

The Strokes in Nottingham
DJ Shadow in Gateshead
Rolling Stones in Hyde Park (albeit they were old)

gigs jealous of:
Woodstock
Queen/Rolling Stones at Rock in Rio
Always wanted to see LCD sound system
Possibly. Think I saw the Subways play there 2 or 3 times.

Linkin Park manchester arena 2002 i think meteora tour. Got a ticket on the morning from darlo ticketmaster shop. 2nd tier at the side of the stage. Platforms coming off the stage came right out and had bennington almost right in front of me seat

Ben Folds & a Piano at Perth Theatre. Just him and his piano in the smallest UK venue he’s played in about 20 years. We were in the 3rd row, the closest you could get without having paid £4K to spend the week with him in Pitlochry.

I know the gigs I most regret not going to and still for the life of me cannot understand why I didn’t go: Aretha Franklin, the Kennedy Centre, Washington DC, June or July 1989. Could have got tickets easily but myself and a flat mate kept on putting it off. She did four nights and we kept on saying “we’ll go tomorrow”. Lived close enough to walk there. What a lazy prick.......

I think it would have been Tyrannosaurus Rex at the time T.

Just the duo, Marc Bolan and Steve Peregrine-Took?

They did a few gigs up here back in the day and I think I can remember them at The Bay but I wasn't there. Other possibility would have been the Mecca?

I definitely saw them at Dunelm House, Durham and thought it pretentious shite. I think John Peel was the compere that night but I could be wrong. I recall the support band was much more to my taste at the time. Andromeda perhaps?
It was the Bay, supported by Free and This years girl, T-Rex broke down on the way to this gig, meaning Free played another set, which went down a storm with the crowd, because they were excellent, crowd weren't over the moon when T-Rex turned up, understandable really, they were pretty boring compared to Free.

It was the Bay, supported by Free and This years girl, T-Rex broke down on the way to this gig, meaning Free played another set, which went down a storm with the crowd, because they were excellent, crowd weren't over the moon when T-Rex turned up, understandable really, they were pretty boring compared to Free.

Bloody hell Teed, that's just jogged my memory.

I wasn't there but I now vaguely remember the story.

This Year's Girl - a very decent local band at the time. I saw them a few times. Singer was Bruce MacDonald Lowes who is still gigging.

Bloody hell Teed, that's just jogged my memory.

I wasn't there but I now vaguely remember the story.

This Year's Girl - a very decent local band at the time. I saw them a few times. Singer was Bruce MacDonald Lowes who is still gigging.
I was there, brilliant gig, This years girl were a very decent band, Lowes must be a canny age now? fair play that he's still gigging.

I was there, brilliant gig, This years girl were a very decent band, Lowes must be a canny age now? fair play that he's still gigging.

I would have loved that. Looking back on threads like this I often wonder why I missed certain gigs but then remember I was still at school and permanently broke so we had to pick and choose our gigs.

Living in Seaham, The Bay wasn't the easiest place to get to or from and my scooter wasn't reliable outside of Seaham. When it did somehow keep going, I'd invariably fall off anyway.

The Mecca and the Argus at Peterlee were a doddle by bus.

T Rex were as unsuitable for the north east at the time as Free were the perfect fit. The buzz around their Mecca gigs was unreal. For one of them the queue stretched all the way to the Wearmouth bridge. I know that for a fact because I didn't get in.

I haven't met him personally (he's an old mate of Nemo's) but I know Bruce is in his seventies now and still sings in the splendidly named Barking Billy and the Scrapyard Dogs.

Last edited:
Turned up at a hotel in ullapool, to find out Martin Stephenson was playing, while he was setting up he asked me if he could leave some stuff next to us and I spoke to him, as soon as he heard my accent we started to have a bit crack, and during the show he was cracking on, and some of the stuff was aimed at us about the town etc. Great gig as well.

I would have loved that. Looking back on threads like this I often wonder why I missed certain gigs but then remember I was still at school and permanently broke so we had to pick and choose our gigs.

Living in Seaham, The Bay wasn't the easiest place to get to or from and my scooter wasn't reliable outside of Seaham. When it did somehow keep going, I'd invariably fall off anyway.

The Mecca and the Argus at Peterlee were a doddle by bus.

T Rex were as unsuitable for the north east at the time as Free were the perfect fit. The buzz around their Mecca gigs was unreal. For one of them the queue stretched all the way to the Wearmouth bridge. I know that for a fact because I didn't get in.

I haven't met him personally (he's an old mate of Nemo's) but I know Bruce is in his seventies now and still sings in the splendidly named Barking Billy and the Scrapyard Dogs.
I think I attended most Free gigs in Sunderland, they were my favourite band at the time, I know a few of the same lads Nemo knows, can't remember If I ever met Bruce though?
the Bay was a bugger to get to If you lived in Sunderland, never mind Seaham.
OK in the Summer, you could walk, but a bugger in winter, got soaked many times making my way home from the Bay and Mecca, wouldn't swap those experiences now though, very fond memories.

Was lucky to live 45 min walk from the mecca, so was there most Fridays and sundays and wednesdays in tiffs during the early 70s

Back