Jealous?

toy dolls at the metro ,nme were reviewing the gig and halfway through they went off as they were not happy with the sound, came back out 15 mins later and started again

toy dolls old 29 ,tiny stage but olga was allower

Oasis whitley bay ice rink ,O.C.S supporting , £15 ticket, morning glory tour,me and my mate had no lift back but was pissed so just walked on a bus parked outside rink that had park lane on ,driver said nowt ,went to ku club ,then got up for work sat morn 5.00am , fked....

O.C.S quayside newcastle around riverboat song era £8 ticket

Stone Roses whitley bay ice rink £16 ticket

Foo Fighters radio 1s big weekend herrington park ,mud up to my knees ,mates lass picked us up at the end of the night in a brand new mini with cream leather seats , mud allower ,he spent next day hungover cleaning it up.

Last edited:

Sting at the City Hall when he first went solo was class...
What made it was something happened to the power so he couldn't play but him and his band came out and did about half an hour totally unrehearsed off the cuff acapella versions of some of his songs and they were really good..

I'm going to have to retaliate.

Nice at City Hall.

Final number was a stupidly extended version of Fanfare for the Common Man during which Keith Emerson stabbed knives in his Hammond to sustain notes before running up the steps to play the massive pipe organ.

Ha!
:lol:

Had ELP on yesterday as it happens. Think I'll stick with Neil though. ;)

I was there at the first Can show in Cologne...
I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City...
I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band....
I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids. I played it at CBGB's.Everybody thought I was crazy...
I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan...
I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes...
I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988...

:lol:

Had ELP on yesterday as it happens. Think I'll stick with Neil though. ;)

I know, I know.

Here's another.

Pre Steve Howe Yes at Teesside Poly in front of about 40 people.

Strangely I got roped in by the Student's Union organisers to help with the stage lighting.

Strange because I wasn't even a student there and I knew absolutely fuck all about lights.

I was at Pulp playing Bridlington Spa in 95 just before they kicked off their first arena tour. The local council tried to ban it cos of the controversy over their ‘sorted for e’s and whizz’ song. The band agreed not to play it so the gig could take place.

they still played it near the end of the set. The house lights came up as the venue tried to stop it all before the end. there was a massive punch up with the bouncers and some daft lads. Can remember Jarvis looking absolutely gob smacked on the stage with all the lights on arguing with the security staff. The staff eventually backed off and they played half a dozen more songs. Absolutely class night.

Logon or register to see this image

I've never been to a concert but I have had some celebs come to see me play guitar.

Saw loads of bands at the mecca, SAHB and Budgie been some of my favourites, Rory Gallagher at the empire great gig he played his heart out, Xtc loads of times , John Martyn at the Derry, our lass (no) saw Hendrix at the city hall.

Not jealous - I was there.
Mecca on Friday nights, Rink (Top Rank) on Saturdays and Mecca on Sundays.
Seen quite a few at both at that time including; Ten Years After, Ginger Baker's Airforce, Free (at both including Free Live recording), Family, Quintessence, Jethro Tull more than once (one might have been at the Bay and another at the Empire).
Lindisfarne(before they were famous) at the Mecca one Sunday night - hell on because we had to pay 10p to get in and Sunday nights were usually free.
John Martyn loads of times here there and everywhere
I could go on.

Bob Dylan and Van Morrison in the jealous category - I had tickets but was working away and had to give them away

I too was at most of those gigs.

Ginger Baker's Airforce were booed off but I never saw a bad Family gig.

Some lesser known bands who also played in the north east were Blossom Toes, Blodwyn Pig, Spooky Tooth and the inimitable Edgar Broughton Band.

Just remembered Three Dog Night and Country Joe and the Fish at the Bay.

I too was at most of those gigs.

Ginger Baker's Airforce were booed off but I never saw a bad Family gig.

Some lesser known bands who also played in the north east were Blossom Toes, Blodwyn Pig, Spooky Tooth and the inimitable Edgar Broughton Band.

Just remembered Three Dog Night and Country Joe and the Fish at the Bay.
I'd forgotten about Blodwyn Pig, Edgar Broughton and Spooky Tooth. Never saw Blossom Toes though.
Anyone remember Junco Partners, I think they were local. Remembering quite a few more now Dr Strangely Strange (I think they were called) , The Faces (including Rod Stewart) at the Rink.
Late 60s / early 70s were great for seeing some really big names in Sunderland.
Did I see The Nice at the Empire or did I have to cross the water to see them?

Back