JD or Pure Gym

That is the worst time to go. Exactly like you say; groups of bro's hanging around the machines trying to look the part, or teenage dolly birds with more flesh on show than a butchers fridge. Even the cardio machines are full of people pissing about on them. In the really shitty weather I occasionally do an afternoon 5k run on the machines instead of freezing my nuts off outside and it really boils my piss having to wait while people walk at 3mph talking to their mate on the next machine. Then because of the amount of people in there the temperature is nearly always 20c +

I'm definitely a morning person in there!
Puff

Can safely say JD in Sunderland is the best gym I’ve ever set foot in. And for £10 a month all the classes, sauna, proper bench press and deadlift platforms. None of that plastic shite that pure gym have.

Makes Pure Gym look like a minging kids soft play.

I live nearer Newcastle so we are stuck with The Gym or Pure Gym.. I work various shifts so something that’s open early and closes late late would be ideal.unless there were other gyms that folk know off nearer Newcastle

Any thoughts on xercise4less? Never seems to get mentioned.

Think they are OK, I used the Benton one for a while, always found the problem was the opening hours, especially on sunday and bank holidays, however that could also have been tied in with my shifts which restricted when I could go, but their opening hours on weekends and bank holidays didn't used to be the best

Any thoughts on xercise4less? Never seems to get mentioned.
The place is run down, old weights, dated design, carpets ripped up.

It’s like that but still lacks a hard core gym feel. The worst of both worlds really.

What I would say is that you can perform every exercise necessary, it has boxing bags and you’ll rarely if ever need to wait on equipment or be rushed off a set.
In my opinion JD Gym is the best “value” in Sunderland by a country mile.

Just back from Pure, my first visit in around 3 months. It's changed dramatically since I was in last. Much of it for the better. There's an extra deadlift platform, an extra squat/power rack (all of them brand new too), an extra incline bench station (plate loader), all the adjustable benches are brand new (they're f***ing heavy mind). Still not impressed that there's only one fixed, flat bench press station. I still don't think it's quite as good as JD but the addition of an extra squat rack coupled with the 24 hour opening has probably persuaded me to go back there full time. The 24 hour opening is a big, big bonus for me. When I'm on dayshift (7am-7pm) I much prefer to go before work (so 5am) than after.
See I think it has changed for the worse (IMO). I use fitness 2000 for weights and then use Pure on a night or afternoon for cardio (steps on treadmill) on bad weather days. However the new layout for the treadmills has me staring at a wall, much preferred the treadmills where the spin bikes are now, you used to be able to look around the gym.

Back