JD or Pure Gym

Sorry and all that, mate, but pretty much everything you've listed about PureGym there is wrong. Not sure how long it's been since you were last there, like.
Just back from Pure, my first visit in around 3 months. It's changed dramatically since I was in last. Much of it for the better. There's an extra deadlift platform, an extra squat/power rack (all of them brand new too), an extra incline bench station (plate loader), all the adjustable benches are brand new (they're f***ing heavy mind). Still not impressed that there's only one fixed, flat bench press station. I still don't think it's quite as good as JD but the addition of an extra squat rack coupled with the 24 hour opening has probably persuaded me to go back there full time. The 24 hour opening is a big, big bonus for me. When I'm on dayshift (7am-7pm) I much prefer to go before work (so 5am) than after.

The 24 hour opening is a big, big bonus for me. When I'm on dayshift (7am-7pm) I much prefer to go before work (so 5am) than after.
That's what swung it for me. Was in just before eight yesterday and six this morning. Just used the cardio stuff so far but seemed plenty available at those times.
I'll need to do one of the inductions so someone can show me how to go on with the weights as I haven't a clue and I'll cripple myself.:lol:

That's what swung it for me. Was in just before eight yesterday and six this morning. Just used the cardio stuff so far but seemed plenty available at those times.
I'll need to do one of the inductions so someone can show me how to go on with the weights as I haven't a clue and I'll cripple myself.:lol:
I'd show you if you didn't go in there at an ungodly hour. :lol:

I always have the very best of intentions of going after I finish work at 7pm but most of the time I just can't be arsed. I did 5am starts all the way through the winter so the summer should be no problem.

To be honest mate, I would look for correct form on the internet. I've seen PT's supervise all kinds of dodgy looking lifts.

I always have the very best of intentions of going after I finish work at 7pm but most of the time I just can't be arsed. I did 5am starts all the way through the winter so the summer should be no problem.

To be honest mate, I would look for correct form on the internet. I've seen PT's supervise all kinds of dodgy looking lifts.
Not a bad shout. It's not something I'm desperate to do but if I'm paying for a gym membership, I might as well give it a go. Probably help long term when I eventually get back to running.

If you need 24 hours then go PureGym, I'm with @DufraisFTM that JD is a class above when it comes to budget gyms I have been in..and the improvements PureGym have made seem to correlate directly with JD opening.

The place is spotless at all times, has much varied machines (if that's your thing) , 5 double handed cable stations (if that's your thing) plus 4 single cables , and then the last pull down stuf and as mentioned numerically a much better weight room. It looks just as busy at peak time, but I've never been asked once when I'm going to be done with my set - including tonight (Monday) when I spent half an hour on one of 4 flat bench.

For classes, they have more varied sessions although I admit I don't know PureGyms schedule anymore, they definitely didn't have yoga when I last went and that's a popular one at JD.

Lastly, the changing rooms & shower are much nicer, cleaner and come with a Sauna that's always 90-92 degrees.

Last edited:
Can you use both Sunderland and Washington JD gyms on one membership? Sunderland one only £9.99 pm atm - £46 cheaper than I pay at DL.
I wouldn’t have thought so. A membership for multiple gyms is usually more than the standard membership and £9.99 is for the standard membership as far as I’m aware.

Incidentally, any members who still pay £19.99/month can take advantage of the January special offer and get their membership reduced to £9.99/month. You have to commit to 12 months, mind.

If you need 24 hours then go PureGym, I'm with @DufraisFTM that JD is a class above when it comes to budget gyms I have been in..and the improvements PureGym have made seem to correlate directly with JD opening.

The place is spotless at all times, has much varied machines (if that's your thing) , 5 double handed cable stations (if that's your thing) plus 4 single cables , and then the last pull down stuf and as mentioned numerically a much better weight room. It looks just as busy at peak time, but I've never been asked once when I'm going to be done with my set - including tonight (Monday) when I spent half an hour on one of 4 flat bench.

For classes, they have more varied sessions although I admit I don't know PureGyms schedule anymore, they definitely didn't have yoga when I last went and that's a popular one at JD.

Lastly, the changing rooms & shower are much nicer, cleaner and come with a Sauna that's always 90-92 degrees.

Is everything included in the monthly fee?

Been working 9-5 for 4 weeks now so can only get to the gym at 5:30/6:00ish, puregym. It’s been absolutely horrendous. Groups of 5/6 lads all around each station, must be about 15 year old, all doing the exercises completely wrong and flexing their skinny little arms every 2 minutes.

One lass in particular takes to using the deadlift area when she wants to do body weight squats with no weights.

Think I’ll have to look elsewhere, DW or possibly exercise 4 less

all doing the exercises completely wrong and flexing their skinny little arms every 2 minutes.
I currently live in Myanmar (not a look at me, it's utterly grim here, leave in June and can't wait to do so) and they're f***ing chronic for this. Shirts off, flexing in the mirrors, full gurn. It's utterly pathetic. I've laughed out loud at a few of them once or twice. You'd think they were Mr Universe.

Been working 9-5 for 4 weeks now so can only get to the gym at 5:30/6:00ish, puregym. It’s been absolutely horrendous. Groups of 5/6 lads all around each station, must be about 15 year old, all doing the exercises completely wrong and flexing their skinny little arms every 2 minutes.

One lass in particular takes to using the deadlift area when she wants to do body weight squats with no weights.

Think I’ll have to look elsewhere, DW or possibly exercise 4 less

That is the worst time to go. Exactly like you say; groups of bro's hanging around the machines trying to look the part, or teenage dolly birds with more flesh on show than a butchers fridge. Even the cardio machines are full of people pissing about on them. In the really shitty weather I occasionally do an afternoon 5k run on the machines instead of freezing my nuts off outside and it really boils my piss having to wait while people walk at 3mph talking to their mate on the next machine. Then because of the amount of people in there the temperature is nearly always 20c +

I'm definitely a morning person in there!

Back