JD or Pure Gym

Whilst my foot is knackered and I can't run, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and join a gym. JD and Pure are both contract free with no joining fee.
Pure is a couple quid cheaper and open 24 hours but JD is closer and easy walking distance. Anybody got experience of either of them?
Also any recommendations on low impact exercises I can do to shift a bit weight and help for when I eventually start running again?

I would drown. Can't think of a time I have swum in over twenty years and even then I'd probably have struggled to manage a length of the pool.
Cycling also gets recommended regularly but I would definitely die if I got on a public road.

@RestlessNatives Can't fault Pure Gym for me, plus its open 24 hours.

If you want cardio those eliptical trainers should be fine while you are up on bricks. Dunno about strength training.
Definitely seems like the best option as I am an early riser. I normally go out running about 6am so being able to go the gym then is probably going to swing it even if I have to drive there.

Pure gym has 1 flat bench for bench press.
JD has 4
Pure has no incline bench for incline bench press (only a plate loader)
JD has 2
Pure has no decline bench for decline bench press.
JD has 2
Pure has 1 deadlift platform
JD has 2
The only thing Pure has over JD is squat/power racks. They have the same number (3 each) put Pures are better because they have ones with adjustable pins/bars to allow for safe failures. JD's don't which I find a bit baffling.

Do you know pure have changed? I had a days trial and was very impressed with the weights section.
Assume that was for me. No I haven't been to Pure for probably 3 months. I am thinking of going back, however, simply for the opening hours. I'm still paying for my membership. It wasn't a dig at Pure, it's perfectly adequate, but the extra benches etc, in JD give it the upper hand in the weights section.

Have they had extra stuff put in?

Assume that was for me. No I haven't been to Pure for probably 3 months. I am thinking of going back, however, simply for the opening hours. I'm still paying for my membership. It wasn't a dig at Pure, it's perfectly adequate, but the extra benches etc, in JD give it the upper hand in the weights section.

Have they had extra stuff put in?
From what i understand, it's changed massively.

Pure gym has 1 flat bench for bench press.
JD has 4
Pure has no incline bench for incline bench press (only a plate loader)
JD has 2
Pure has no decline bench for decline bench press.
JD has 2
Pure has 1 deadlift platform
JD has 2
The only thing Pure has over JD is squat/power racks. They have the same number (3 each) put Pures are better because they have ones with adjustable pins/bars to allow for safe failures. JD's don't which I find a bit baffling.
Sorry and all that, mate, but pretty much everything you've listed about PureGym there is wrong. Not sure how long it's been since you were last there, like.

True as of the last time I was there. 3 months ago as said in this thread. What has changed then?
They’ve added more cables and secluded the class area, which is a lot better. Still only 1 actual flat bench, no decline or incline benches. They’ve added an area of turf for people to flip tyres/sled run and a boxing bag this also has like two open racks there which don’t get much use. Then they’ve added more open racks next to the weights but the kind you can put the poles in to stop failure. It is better like but still aids and full of groups of lads taking their tops off and videoing each other.

@RestlessNatives you still live up chester road way ? theres a pay as you go gym on cleveland road, £2 a pop if youre only going couple times a week , weights only mind , but you could maybe cycle there and back if foot will cope with cycling?
Cheers. Just joined Pure Gym so I'll see how that goes. Only £17 a month and no joining fee or contract. The 24 hour thing was the deal breaker as I'm usually up really early.
Walked ten miles around the Tall Ships yesterday and no adverse reaction but I'm not going to risk running for a couple of months. Three months ago today when it went, funnily it was Friday 13th, and every attempt at a comeback have resulted in it flaring up again.

would wait couple week and try a stationery bike at gym first for a couple weeks, then a cross trainer , maybe give it 6-8 weeks before try a 15min run but it must be a good sign if you're walking that far without problems,

They’ve added more cables and secluded the class area, which is a lot better. Still only 1 actual flat bench, no decline or incline benches. They’ve added an area of turf for people to flip tyres/sled run and a boxing bag this also has like two open racks there which don’t get much use. Then they’ve added more open racks next to the weights but the kind you can put the poles in to stop failure. It is better like but still aids and full of groups of lads taking their tops off and videoing each other.
Cheers mate. Think I'll have a dodge in and have a look. I'm still paying for both memberships but gonna settle on one. As I said, the weights section in JD, in my opinion, is far superior. But Pure has the 24 hours opening which suits me cos I can regularly go at 5am. The bench press situation isn't much of an issue at that time. Going any other time can be a problem though and having one, fixed, flat bench, barbell bench press station is ridiculous imo. I'm not a fan of wheeling adjustable benches into squat/power racks either. They could definitely do with getting at least one incline station in too.

Back