Jazz

The Kamasai Washington albums above and Thundercats Drunk one are crackin stuff.
Here’s a few albums from the old school masters that are easily accessible without being too easy listening. They’ve all done a lot more weirder stuff that are probably best not first listen material.

Ben Webster-Soulville
Sonny Rollins- Saxaphone Colossus
Dexter Gordon- Ballads
John Coltrane- Ballads
John Coltrane- My Favourite Things
Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis-Birth Of The Cool
Miles Davis-Sketches Of Spain

Regarding more newish stuff: I’ve been listening a lot to Avi Cohen lately the trumpeter one not the double bass lad or ex Liverpool full back. Christian Scott i can recommend anarl. Getting right into trumpet led jazz lately. Miles, Dizzy, Chet etc. Kyle Eastwoods ( clints son) Paris Blue album is always on my phone, great commuting music.
Chet Bakers cd legacy is very inconsistent. Loadsashite and that’s without his attempts at singing which are awful tbh. BUT when he’s on he’s as good as anyone’s ever been. Frinstance there’s a version of Elvis Costello’s “Almost Blue” that’s simply beautiful beyond words knocking around YouTube. Anyone who doesn’t fall in love with it simply has no soul.

Some canny South African jazz:

Masekela died a few months back iirc. Nivver got round to listening to him I’m ashamed to say.

Last edited:
The Kamasai Washington albums above and Thundercats Drunk one are crackin stuff.
Here’s a few albums from the old school masters that are easily accessible without being too easy listening. They’ve all done a lot more weirder stuff that are probably best not first listen material.

Ben Webster-Soulville
Sonny Rollins- Saxaphone Colossus
Dexter Gordon- Ballads
John Coltrane- Ballads
John Coltrane- My Favourite Things
Miles Davis- Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis-Birth Of The Cool
Miles Davis-Sketches Of Spain

Regarding more newish stuff: I’ve been listening a lot to Avi Cohen lately the trumpeter one not the double bass lad or ex Liverpool full back. Christian Scott i can recommend anarl. Getting right into trumpet led jazz lately. Miles, Dizzy, Chet etc. Kyle Eastwoods ( clints son) Paris Blue album is always on my phone, great commuting music.
Chet Bakers cd legacy is very inconsistent. Loadsashite and that’s without his attempts at singing which are awful tbh. BUT when he’s on he’s as good as anyone’s ever been. Frinstance there’s a version of Elvis Costello’s “Almost Blue” that’s simply beautiful beyond words knocking around YouTube. Anyone who doesn’t fall in love with it simply has no soul.

Masekela died a few months back iirc. Nivver got round to listening to him I’m ashamed to say.

As I mentioned on the dedicated RIP thread, I knew him. Amazing man. I'll be in SA next month and can't believe he won't be there.

:lol: Aye, easy done when you're turning the E string down two tones.....:confused:
I tune 5 out of six strings down for the D tuning of prodigal son.

I know this next tune is classical but its worth a look if you like your Jazz.

and another..

The girl from Ipanema

Last edited by a moderator:
You could just listen to Jazz FM for a bit and check the website to trace anything that lights your candle!
Paradoxically it isn't available on FM, just DAB digital, Sky0202 and internet. Great breadth of music from funk, soul, blues, swing, classical/standard jazz, modern tyros, 'dinner jazz'. Take your pick!

You could just listen to Jazz FM for a bit and check the website to trace anything that lights your candle!
Paradoxically it isn't available on FM, just DAB digital, Sky0202 and internet. Great breadth of music from funk, soul, blues, swing, classical/standard jazz, modern tyros, 'dinner jazz'. Take your pick!
Nice.

Back