Jaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

The shark is laughable but to be fair is credible for the 70s
Overall a great movie

The Shark is brilliant - now probably more to accident than design, what makes the film is you hardly see it .

Now compare Spielberg's 70's shark to Lucas' Jar Jar Binks..... 70's Shark beats the best Special Effect company by a clean KO.

The Indianapolis monologue and scar showing off scene is one of the greatest in movie history.

100% this.

And if you want to know more read the brilliant book In Harms Way.

Absolutely brilliant film. Rarely flip past it if I'm channel surfing.

The Indianapolis monologue and scar showing off scene is one of the greatest in movie history.

Might have mentioned this before, but some young lad was inspired to write his history paper for school on the fate of the Indianapolis after having watched that scene.

He found out that the surviving captain had been court martialled and lived for years with the guilt of having survived when hundreds of his crew died under horrific circumstances. Even if not that many were eaten by sharks they were in the water a week. After many years he shot himself. Anyway the kid started a letter writing campaign (before Facebook!) to petition to get the blame lifted off the captain which the US Asmiralty finally did after his military record had originally shown his disgrace.

Just a quick question, do we ever see Ben Gardner alive in the film?

A quick google and indeed we do. I don't ever recall hearing him called by name and him being there on scene .
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Just a quick question, do we ever see Ben Gardner alive in the film?

A quick google and indeed we do. I don't ever recall hearing him called by name and him being there on scene .
Logon or register to see this image

The guy who played him (Craig Kingsbury) was a local to Martha's Vineyard and they used him as a basis for some of Quints dialogue and mannerisms.
Apparently “Not like going down the pond chasin’ bluegills and tommycods” is straight from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back