Jason Steele

Agreed. The STID documentary had a clip where Steele was told an hour before the Ipswich game that he was playing - no time to mentally prepare etc - total embarrassment of a manager Simon Grayson
Plenty of players have been told at short notice that they’re playing.

Shouldn’t a professional footballer always be ‘mentally prepared’ to do their job?

Those who thought Chris Coleman was hard done by (poor record in club management) think on this.
First day at SAFC he’s sitting down with staff he’s inherited to get a take on our situation.
“So where do you think we need to improve most, everyone?”
Unanimous reply “We’ve two poor goalkeepers and really need a new custodian as Ruiter and Steele have struggled badly”.
Coleman replies “right lads leave it with me, I know just the ‘keeper who will get us out of this mess”.
Enter Lee Camp who proves worse than the two goalies we already had which was bordering on the impossible. 🙈
You couldn’t make it up and this sort of decision making encapsulates SAFC in recent times. Shambles FC.
Camp was never Coleman's choice to be fair. He chased Andy Lonergan all window who was at least a competent keeper, we nearly got him on loan but it fell through at the last minute. Then Ruiter had an absolute shocker against Birmingham the night before the window closed and we just had to take what we could get on deadline day.

Camp has had a decent career to be fair like and I think he'd done well at Rotherham when Warnock kept them up, then got a bad injury. You see him on STID saying how he thought he'd never play again, then when he came here he could barely move and had biscuits for hands.

Laughable how bad the three of them were like. Ruiter was competent but couldn't save anything to his left. Steele was a bag of nerves and did absolutely ridiculous things every game. And Camp was immobile and went down in slow motion.

Just in case anyone's memory of the lad was slightly clouded:

He could have done better with the 5th but he could have hardly done much about the rest. Football is a team game and the whole team deserves blame for letting 5 in.

That video for me is more about why we should be playing McGeady at the minute

Plenty of players have been told at short notice that they’re playing.

Shouldn’t a professional footballer always be ‘mentally prepared’ to do their job?
But if they have been categorically told they aren't playing, only for the manager to change his mind an hour before kick off it's not great prep. none of us know what mental prep a goalkeeper needs to do to be ready - it's the most important job on the pitch - every other player can make a mistake and it have no consequences. If a goalkeeper makes a mistake, it's 100% a goal every time.

How the fuck have we gone from , Montgomery , siddall, Turner, Norman , to these fuckers we have now .
Sorenson, Mig, Pickford as well....even the likes of Myhre, Poom, Chamberlain, Ward etc, were on another planet to the last few years (Mclaughlan excepted).

Those who dont think we are massively weakened this season with the goalkeeper situation are seriously diluded.

But if they have been categorically told they aren't playing, only for the manager to change his mind an hour before kick off it's not great prep. none of us know what mental prep a goalkeeper needs to do to be ready - it's the most important job on the pitch - every other player can make a mistake and it have no consequences. If a goalkeeper makes a mistake, it's 100% a goal every time.
We have different opinions on the subject then, but probably agree that shite goalies were not helped by shite management.

Don't know like, you don't know what was going on off camera.

He wasn't happy. Definitely in mild or moderate depressed territory on the old phq-9. Though behind Jonny Williams, I'd guess.
Nobody would be happy being that useless, my memories sketchy buy can't remember anything standing out with him unlike Williams

I disagree.
Was he not on the bench?.........if he was then should have been prepared to come on
He dived after the ball had past him for one.

Rubbish, Camp and Steele way worse.

I have to say, I know the popular choice is Camp, but my view is that Steele was the worst. I honestly can't believe he's a professional footballer.

Think the Millwall keeper edged it you know.

But aye, you'll go a long way to see a game with keepers that bad. Should have been 0-0.
Agreed....Steel...then Camp....then Ruiter...al utter shite playing for us.

Did we pay much for them?

Last edited:

Back