Japanese whisky

Last edited:

Tried the really expensive Yamazaki one in Tokyo before and wasn't impressed.

Nowhere else to post this, but my FiL just gave me a bottle of The Mcallan 10 yrs - Macallan 10 Year Old - Sherry Oak Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange

Its the best whisky I've had with the exception (so far, tbd) of the Yamazaki.
I was at a wedding years ago at Appleby Manor and they had 130 odd whiskies behind the bar. I managed 30 odd in 2 days. It turned out that a cousin of my then bird was a whisky officianado. He bought us one that was 18 quid a shot, apparently the distillery had burnt down in the 70s and it was 800 quid a bottle. It was f***ing incredible, I can't remember the name of the bastard though. It had a light blue label. :(

I've had a few Japanese whiskies which are very acceptable albeit expensive.
Demolished a bottle of Bunnahabbain, between us, last night. Lovely drink.

Problem is when you start getting into Islay malts as I have done belatedly, nothing else quite does the business.

Used to really like the sherry bomb Speysides but give me Laphraoaig 10 all day long now

It’s class stuff! Don’t bother with the 18, not worth the price!

Love a bit of ardbeg too and the lagavulin

The Ardbeg 10 tried last week...very very similar to Laphraoig but with one difference..the colour :eek:
Given Laphraoig is generally ten quid cheaper with more TCP bang I’d go for that every time

The Ardbeg 10 tried last week...very very similar to Laphraoig but with one difference..the colour :eek:
Given Laphraoig is generally ten quid cheaper with more TCP bang I’d go for that every time
I'm a bit thick when it comes to whisky tbh. The TCP thing, what style is that? Speyside?

Back