Japan and Seoul - quick travel advice

Beery

Striker
Have booked a last minute trip for a weekend to Japan (Oita) 2 nights and Seoul 1 night with a pal.

1st time in both countries

- will I get by just speaking English in both places?
- will I need a 2nd mortgage for Booze?
- will I know what I'm eating?
- I imagine its all very safe and easy to get around - but any top tips?

Seoul:
Yes, they study English to a reasonable level and you'll not be left stranded.
Learn some basics: hello and thank you so you as a minimum appear to not be ignorant.

Food wise, go for bbq and you'll always know what you are eating and it's very good food. There's other options, but best to go with someone who knows what is what.

Price wise, can be expensive, choose your drinks wisely. Stay away from scotch. 700 beer and the like are 'western bars'. Beer you will recognise, but will pay more for.

Japan is very easily navigated, before hosting the 2002 World Cup every street sign in the country was given an English translation. Train ticket machines etc didn’t follow until after 2010 but they all now offer the English language. If you’re in doubt about taxis etc, ask your hotel for an address card and simply show that to the taxi driver when you get in the cab.

In terms of food, heartily recommend a pancake dish called okonomiyaki - especially if you can get Hiroshima style. If you want something cheap and meat driven, find a yakitori bar and feast. If you can push the boat out, wagyu shabu-shabu (raw beef you cook by dipping into a broth at your table) is excellent. The ramen in Japan is also far superior to anything you get here.

Last edited:
Have booked a last minute trip for a weekend to Japan (Oita) 2 nights and Seoul 1 night with a pal.

Everyone in South Korea speaks some degree of English. However in Japan, English is less widely spoken I found and some knowledge of Japanese is helpful. Knowing key local etiquette and customs in both instances is important.

Japan and South Korea are cheaper than London. Japan, especially so as the exchange rate works to our advantage.

Restaurant Menus are 50/50 depending on where you go. In South Korea it is very common for some outlets not to have an English translation, be prepared for this. In both instances if you feel really, really insecure about the food there are your staple "western" chains available. But honestly I would not recommend that and you shouldn't worry, be adventurous and try something new. Everything is delicious.

Both places are amongst the safest cities on Earth with minimal crime and vast reaching, highly efficient public transport networks.

In Japan, expect to be surprised at finding what is essentially the most peaceful society on Earth, even in the big cities. Japanese people are astonishingly quiet and dignified in public and this may create a strange feeling at times, but it's good if you don't like loud places.

In Japan be prepared for a noticeable absence of bins on the streets, if you have litter you have to keep it. It is a ridiculously hygienic and thoughtful place when it comes to conservation, people are expected to recycle goods at home.

Expect Japanese people to be polite, but very very reserved and somewhat wary of foreigners. Korean people are also very reserved towards outsiders.

On public transport in both countries, never sit on the seats allocated for old people. They take respect for elderly very very seriously and even if the bus/metro is full, you are not to sit on the priority seats.

Going up escalators, Japanese people noticeably stand on the left instead of the right.

Be prepared for the electronic Japanese toilet. It's warm at least, but it has a lot of complicated buttons which can accidentally blast water up your arse.

Recommended Places of Interest in Seoul:
  • Gwanghuamun Gate and open museum
  • King Sejong Statue
  • Insadong Shopping Area
  • Korean War Museum in Yongsan
  • Bukchon Hanok Village
  • Gangnam
  • Old Seoul Station and public skyway

Last edited by a moderator:
so jealous, aye English is fine, Korea cheap as fuck, Japan more expensive but not much

Love both places, feel totally content when there.

Japan is very easily navigated, before hosting the 2002 World Cup every street sign in the country was given an English translation. Train ticket machines etc didn’t follow until after 2010 but they all now offer the English language. If you’re in doubt about taxis etc, ask your hotel for an address card and simply show that to the taxi driver when you get in the cab.

In terms of food, heartily recommend a pancake dish called okonomiyaki - especially if you can get Hiroshima style. If you want something cheap and meat driven, find a yakitori bar and feast. If you can push the boat out, wagyu shabu-shabu (raw beef you cook by dipping into a broth at your table) is excellent. The ramen in Japan is also far superior to anything you get here.
Japan is ramping up for the Olympics in 2020 so much more of the infrastructure has English signage now. Young uns also tend to speak a bit, old ones less so.

Shabu shabu is definitely worth a poke but I’d save the wagyu for a proper steak or one where you cook it yourself at the table.

Definitely follow Mr Oompapa’s advice re the bus seats. I was sat in a priority seat without realising it and the driver went full on radge at me even tho the bus was half empty.

Only Japanese I knew when I went to Tokyo was thank you and I love you. I got them mixed up in the mini supermarket.:oops:
I found food and drink to be surprisingly cheap but it was about nine years ago. I got along by pointing at stuff.
Buying a pair of trainers was a bit of a challenge.

Back