January Gym-goers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gym hasn't been too bad actually. It's a cheap (£15.99/month) city centre gym and I tend to be there at the busiest sort of time (5-6pm after work) but all the new people just seem to dive straight onto the machines for endless cardio, just like every other Januar. There's a ladies only section which I use and although it's been busy, I haven't had much trouble getting plenty of use out of the free weights for the last few weeks. The main weights section looks pretty busy mind.

Had no trouble doing my usual routine of cardio on Monday, legs Tuesday and upper body today, but then I'm quite prepared to just grab anything I can find to make it work if I can't get the equipment I really want.

I usually train afternoon or morning on Saturday and it's always free thankfully. Only had anybody waiting for it once as well. Much better getting my sessions in there as opposed to the gym I have to use near my lasses.

We will have to 'out' ourselves with name badges. Me and Luvulongtime get in there all the time.

I always wear a hoody on leg day no idea why but I do.

Anyway caught some fella looking at me using the squat rack last night and thought he must be after the rack.

Finished my set bent down to get a drink, sure enough here is standing in front of me, I tell him ive got two more sets, to which he replied im not on about that im just gonna say working out in a hoody isn't really the correct gear to be wearing. I was slightly amused especially that there was untold amounts of hipster bellends wandering about in skinny jeans converse and flat peaks.

I just told him I didn't really see what it had to do with him, he seemed to think he was some sort of expert when really he was wearing a nike pro so he could show his arms off, unfortunately it also showed a gut Steve Bruce would have hid away. Twat

Anyway caught some fella looking at me using the squat rack last night and thought he must be after the rack.

Finished my set bent down to get a drink, sure enough here is standing in front of me, I tell him ive got two more sets, to which he replied im not on about that im just gonna say working out in a hoody isn't really the correct gear to be wearing. I was slightly amused especially that there was untold amounts of hipster bellends wandering about in skinny jeans converse and flat peaks.

I just told him I didn't really see what it had to do with him, he seemed to think he was some sort of expert when really he was wearing a nike pro so he could show his arms off, unfortunately it also showed a gut Steve Bruce would have hid away. Twat

Fuck me. I usually do my warm up sets in a hoody/jumper. Who honestly gives a fuck about that, especially to the extent where they moan to somebody about it

f***ing weird get. I often start my workout in a hoody and take it off when I have warmed up properly. Should have wound the fucker up and asked for advice, he'd have been on for ages.

Fuck me. I usually do my warm up sets in a hoody/jumper. Who honestly gives a fuck about that, especially to the extent where they moan to somebody about it

Obviously got on his tits because i didn't have my arms on show.

It was a university hoody aswell so unless he was TLR i have no idea what his problem was.[DOUBLEPOST=1390656199][/DOUBLEPOST]
f***ing weird get. I often start my workout in a hoody and take it off when I have warmed up properly. Should have wound the fucker up and asked for advice, he'd have been on for ages.

Well i always wear it on leg day because i'm not concentrating on anything on the upper body.

Fuck that he looked like your typical I go to the gym so I can look bigger in the club type fella.

I'm training slightly different now, I went for the size element when I was at uni, now I am training more for athleticism anybody got any tips on designing a training programme for it. I know my stuff just looking for a bit of guidance?

Cheers

Last edited:
I've only been going a week and already sick of the people using the place as a social gathering, I've been going between 5:30-6AM thinking I've avoid these people but it's just as busy.

I've only been going a week and already sick of the people using the place as a social gathering, I've been going between 5:30-6AM thinking I've avoid these people but it's just as busy.

Should be a blanket ban on groups any larger than 3 training together. Waste of everybody's time.

Obviously got on his tits because i didn't have my arms on show.

It was a university hoody aswell so unless he was TLR i have no idea what his problem was.[DOUBLEPOST=1390656199][/DOUBLEPOST]

Well i always wear it on leg day because i'm not concentrating on anything on the upper body.

Fuck that he looked like your typical I go to the gym so I can look bigger in the club type fella.

I'm training slightly different now, I went for the size element when I was at uni, now I am training more for athleticism anybody got any tips on designing a training programme for it. I know my stuff just looking for a bit of guidance?

Cheers

Athleticism is a bit broad to be fair, what particular sport/aspect you looking to improve mate?

Athleticism is a bit broad to be fair, what particular sport/aspect you looking to improve mate?

Well ive just finished a degree in sport science and tbh as much as it helps in the gym sometimes it hinders as well. Literature seems to be very diverse as to which types of training and frequency yield the best results, therefore i feel I might be looking to do too many things and almost mastering none.

I used to play football at a fairly high standard but since uni I pretty much packed it in, this year I've gone back into it and I am playing okay just feel a bit sluggish still. I've started to include more things like box jumps and things into workouts for more explosive power. Was just wondering if anybody on here trains in a sport specific manner rather than the overall muscle gain. If so any advice would be great.

Well ive just finished a degree in sport science and tbh as much as it helps in the gym sometimes it hinders as well. Literature seems to be very diverse as to which types of training and frequency yield the best results, therefore i feel I might be looking to do too many things and almost mastering none.

I used to play football at a fairly high standard but since uni I pretty much packed it in, this year I've gone back into it and I am playing okay just feel a bit sluggish still. I've started to include more things like box jumps and things into workouts for more explosive power. Was just wondering if anybody on here trains in a sport specific manner rather than the overall muscle gain. If so any advice would be great.

Well I'm training for powerlifting at the moment, so whilst it's sport specific, probably not what you were looking for. However, I've also boxed competitively before and still play football. You've got the right idea with the box jumps etc. Look at a plan layout similar to Westside for Skinny Bastards and tweak it so that it has more movements specific to what you're looking for. I've used the template with a few athletes I train/trained and even just recreational football players and gets good results.[DOUBLEPOST=1390662398][/DOUBLEPOST]Tried to edit but didn't do it in time, just wanted to add:

Anecdotally, I'll also add that the stronger my squat got, the better I got at changing direction, jumping and sprinting (all those are supported in the literature anyhow, just adding some personal experience). George Leeman also, a brutally strong powerlifter said that he couldn't touch the rim of a basketball hoop at around 200lbs but could when he was over 300lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm training for powerlifting at the moment, so whilst it's sport specific, probably not what you were looking for. However, I've also boxed competitively before and still play football. You've got the right idea with the box jumps etc. Look at a plan layout similar to Westside for Skinny Bastards and tweak it so that it has more movements specific to what you're looking for. I've used the template with a few athletes I train/trained and even just recreational football players and gets good results.[DOUBLEPOST=1390662398][/DOUBLEPOST]Tried to edit but didn't do it in time, just wanted to add:

Anecdotally, I'll also add that the stronger my squat got, the better I got at changing direction, jumping and sprinting (all those are supported in the literature anyhow, just adding some personal experience). George Leeman also, a brutally strong powerlifter said that he couldn't touch the rim of a basketball hoop at around 200lbs but could when he was over 300lbs.

Brilliant mate cheers for that I will just keep looking around and trying to tweak little things here and there.

Bit in bold is very interesting especially.

Brilliant mate cheers for that I will just keep looking around and trying to tweak little things here and there.

Bit in bold is very interesting especially.

Found his exact quote actually:

"When I was 200lbs I couldn't touch a basketball rim, but I could at 365lbs"

I've been going just over a week and half now and already seeing an improvement in body shape (bear in mind I'm a fat ****). At the moment I'm doing:

30 minutes cross trainer (on interval training)
Converging shoulder press ( 8 reps for 3 sets using 32kg)
Converging chest press press ( 8 reps for 3 sets using 32kg)
30 minutes exercise bike (on interval training)
Lat pull down ( 8 reps for 3 sets using 32kg)

I'm also slowly building myself up on the treadmill, I can only manage a few minutes before the knees start knacking but I'm guessing once some of the weight is shifted off top the strain on them will go down.

I could do with some advice on whether what I'm doing is a good workout for weight loss, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back