January 2011 SMB Photography Challenge - Contre Jour - Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I echo the positivity expressed about this month.

Not sure I'll get anything in because Real Life is busy this month.

I echo the positivity expressed about this month.

Not sure I'll get anything in because Real Life is busy this month.

Same here. I have literally not had chance to be out with my camera at the same time as the sun. Have an idea based on a at home set up, but if I don't get time over the weekend then it'll be a no show from me.

icareaboutcrookedhorizons friend's shot isn't showing up for me - anyone else?

Phil - How did you get your picture looking like it does?
Clyde - How did you get your picture looking like it does?

just a slow exposure (think it was 1/20) and panned vertically upward as you press the shutter - that is all :) surprisingly easy and quite interesting results.

just a slow exposure (think it was 1/20) and panned vertically upward as you press the shutter - that is all :) surprisingly easy and quite interesting results.

I'd never have thought of panning vertically! Excellent, the books always tell you about panning side to side never vertically. I'm absolutely useless at panning though, I just can't master the technique. I really hope ABEasy Tiger hasn't chosen panning for a monthly challenge. :evil:

I hope you lot don't mind, but I'll be entering and voting a bit this year.

icareaboutcrookedhorizons friend's shot isn't showing up for me - anyone else?

There seems to be an issue when pics are posted from albums on here - maybe the albums are set to private?

Anyway, I've rehosted so you should all be able to see it.

I hope you lot don't mind, but I'll be entering and voting a bit this year.

There seems to be an issue when pics are posted from albums on here - maybe the albums are set to private?

Anyway, I've rehosted so you should all be able to see it.

Yep, working now. Another corker.

Looking forward to it. Was a bit disappointed that you didn't get involved last year.

Concurred, looking forward to it too.

Phil - How did you get your picture looking like it does?
Clyde - How did you get your picture looking like it does?

well here is the techie details

Camera Sony DSLR-A500
Exposure 1
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 24 mm
ISO Speed 200

it was shot at night just under the a19 at sunderland by the side of the river, it was pretty dark down there but was still a bit ambient light around from the city etc, anyway i went for a one second exposure so that the ambient light wouldnt have time to show up in the shot, i had my mate do a wire wool spin while i got in quite close, asked him to do it with his back to the camera so that the light from the wire wool spin would show all around him while he remained a silhouette, so i created my own light for the shot rather than use the sun or daylight...hope that info helps.

actually considered using this shot of my daughter too

Logon or register to see this image

and took this last night, think it kinda meets the theme too

Logon or register to see this image

Clyde - that picture of your daughter is excellent. I've tried for a similar effect before but I just can't get the sun to burst like that. Is there a particular knack to it? Is it filters, or does the lens have a sweet spot for getting it?

Clyde - that picture of your daughter is excellent. I've tried for a similar effect before but I just can't get the sun to burst like that. Is there a particular knack to it? Is it filters, or does the lens have a sweet spot for getting it?

F22 mate and a fast shutter speed ;)

this one was..

Camera Sony DSLR-A500
Exposure 1/4000 sec
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 200

well here is the techie details

Camera Sony DSLR-A500
Exposure 1
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 24 mm
ISO Speed 200

it was shot at night just under the a19 at sunderland by the side of the river, it was pretty dark down there but was still a bit ambient light around from the city etc, anyway i went for a one second exposure so that the ambient light wouldnt have time to show up in the shot, i had my mate do a wire wool spin while i got in quite close, asked him to do it with his back to the camera so that the light from the wire wool spin would show all around him while he remained a silhouette, so i created my own light for the shot rather than use the sun or daylight...hope that info helps.
Thank you, I can see that one second gave time for the "arcs" to form/show (guessing)? What did you do to the picture after it was taken, anything?

Thank you, I can see that one second gave time for the "arcs" to form/show (guessing)? What did you do to the picture after it was taken, anything?

cropped it and a slight change of white balance.

yeah just went for one second exposure, if i had left it open any longer it would have a lot more lines in it and wouldn't have been so dark, also the person in the pic would have been a bit more illuminated.

cropped it and a slight change of white balance.

yeah just went for one second exposure, if i had left it open any longer it would have a lot more lines in it and wouldn't have been so dark, also the person in the pic would have been a bit more illuminated.
Do you have a different name on the rtgflikrthread?

OK, there's mine in. VERY busy this month so no time to get what I really wanted, I managed to grab my entry on my phone camera at the weekend.

Mine was likewise done in a rush because of other demands on my time. Thought I'd make up numbers though.

I know exactly the photo I want to take but the weather is not playing nicely and I cannot get it. If the weather doesn't improve over the next few days I will have to come up with an alternative plan........

Have something OK ish ready to submit, but hoping to get a roll of film developed this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back