James "Jimmy" Montgomery mural

Blimey if this keeps up some enterprising chap will organise a mural tour pub crawl at some point.

It'll be like Beflast but with less balaclavas and more jolly.

I'm all for it
Not at The Times. They discussed it but settled in Montgomery. With him being from that neck of the woods.

I like the fact its Carter in Hendon, Gurney, Silky and Monty down there. Great stuff.

I was meant to put this on here at the weekend for Lawson, but forgot!

For anyone who doesn’t know, the lad who has taken over The Times is Sunderland daft.
He’s already done the interior out in all things SAFC.
Any money he makes over his target, some will be going to Veterans In Crisis, and some possibly to another mural on another side elevation.
Good info thanks

I was meant to put this on here at the weekend for Lawson, but forgot!

For anyone who doesn’t know, the lad who has taken over The Times is Sunderland daft.
He’s already done the interior out in all things SAFC.
Any money he makes over his target, some will be going to Veterans In Crisis, and some possibly to another mural on another side elevation.
Didn’t even know the place existed

Does it matter that the header was from Pele. Could have been from me or you to be honest. Still a decent save but Monty's was from the man with "The Hardest Shot In Football"
You've just said it doesn't matter whether the header was from Pele but that matters that the shot was from Lorimer?

You've just said it doesn't matter whether the header was from Pele but that matters that the shot was from Lorimer?
And I'll explain why. Lorimer was renowned for hammering home unstoppable shots from all distances. The fact that he hammered one at an empty net and it was stopped should tell you all you need to know. Pele's header was routine. He may have been the greatest player ever seen, but that wasn't his best header. You could see a carbon copy of it at any time in the Premier League. Still a great save, but there haven't been too many repeats of Monty's
It would matter to me I saved a certain goal from the best
Player to have walked the earth like.
Wasn't a certain goal mate. Decent attempt, but sorry. Not Pele's greatest goal attempt in any way. David Coleman, the beebs number one commentator officially put down Lorimers attempt as a goal, he was that certain.

Last edited:
You need to re watch banks save mate . It’s a certain Goal
And if you read my original post I said montys is probably the greatest save of all time , banks just about equals it

Ryhope. A kick in the arse from Ryhope CA ground iirc.
Probably played for Seaham Boys which I think is who Ryhope kids represented back then.

Guide Post it is then...
Was never out once mate.
Have cut back on the drink the last few years, I know if I gan in there it’ll be a gallon.

Back