Jamal Lowe.

Falling apart a bit for Jackett. Portsmouth keep this up they'll be the ones struggling to reach the play offs. Their two best players have jumped ship.

Falling apart a bit for Jackett. Portsmouth keep this up they'll be the ones struggling to reach the play offs. Their two best players have jumped ship.
Personally I am really not happy with the way we’ve folded like a pack of cards on this one.

Clarke had a PL opportunity and Nathan Thompson was out of contract, so those 2 leaving I can understand.

The Lowe one is really tough to take given he’s going to a bottom 6 Championship side. He may want to leave just to ‘be in the Championship’, but he’s got 2 years left, and there is no chance you can replace 17 goals and 10 assists with our wage structure. Maddison, Enobakhare etc provide no guarantee of those stats.

Him leaving genuinely turns optimism for automatic promotion into a ‘is top 6 even achievable’. We’ll miss him more than Clarke, even though Clarke is pound for pound the better player.

Last edited:
Personally I am really not happy with the way we’ve folded like a pack of cards on this one.

Clarke had a PL opportunity and Nathan Thompson was out of contract, so those 2 leaving I can understand.

The Lowe one is really tough to take given he’s going to a bottom 6 Championship side. He may want to leave just to ‘be in the Championship’, but he’s got 2 years left, and there is no chance you can replace 17 goals and 10 assists with our wage structure. Maddison, Enobakhare etc provide no guarantee of those stats.

Him leaving genuinely turns optimism for automatic promotion into a ‘is top 6 even achievable’. We’ll miss him more than Clarke, even though Clarke is pound for pound the better player.

Price we pay for sitting so far down the food chain, at least you're honest about it which is more than most on t'internet would be.

Aye I had a feeling it wouldn't go down well. Is there any of your other players being touted to leave or do you think that will be all?

Maddison has 67 assists in the last 4 seasons man.

Top 6 should be no bother for yous

Have u seen maddison stats last few year? Closest to guaranteed in this league you will get

The fans want Maddison, he wants to join but the important thing is - I don't think the club want him.

The Peterborough chairman wants to sell him too, it's another N'zogbia this - fans and media alike have built up way beyond our interest/ability to pay for him. Come deadline day the fans are waiting patiently and getting into a frenzy and he joins someone else with no firm interest from SAFC to be seen.

I would feel just the same. You can understand players moving on to bigger teams or for better opportunities, but Wigan are mid-table Championship at best. Is this just a money thing?

Aye I had a feeling it wouldn't go down well. Is there any of your other players being touted to leave or do you think that will be all?
No, no other players will likely leave imo, or at least in an upward direction. Keeper, Lee Brown, Tom Naylor and Ronan Curtis were our other big performers last season and they are all 1 season in since being signed unlike the 3 that have gone. Burgess, Close and Evans will be in and around the squad still, and feeling is Pitman will stay despite KJ’s issue with him in the first 2/3rds of the season just gone. That, coupled with the other 6 we’ve signed means there’s no fear of totally fading, but the league is far more open this season for me, if weaker overall.

But that’s our best 2 players gone, and some might argue 3 with Thompson. I’d have put him in our top 6 players though. That’s tough to rebuild on.
Maddison has 67 assists in the last 4 seasons man.
I’d be surprised if Jackett went in for him. Convinced he’s hanging on for a Championship suitor of his own, and not sure he’s a KJ player. KJ will go for someone with pace and power. In any case, would be tough for Maddison to replicate that form at a new club, and whilst his assist record is sublime, replacing 17 goals from out wide is not easily done.

Where's he gone?

Nobody knows for sure, but the main rumour is Wigan also. Have been other whispers of Ipswich though. We signed Bolton pretty quickly after failure to achieve promotion as Thompson basically said he wanted Championship football.

I would feel just the same. You can understand players moving on to bigger teams or for better opportunities, but Wigan are mid-table Championship at best. Is this just a money thing?
I believe so, coupled with Championship exposure. Say he does well and Wigan finish 15th, he’s far more exposed to higher level scouts than down in L1.

I’m really cross we aren’t pushing the boat out to keep him more personally, even though he does want to leave. Selling him is a false economy for me. See Josh Maja vs Patrick Bauer last season as a case study.

You sold Maja, as he wanted out and had to spend more on a replacement that didn’t have anything like the same output. Conversely, Lee Bowyer turned down a written transfer request from Bauer when Blackburn wanted him for 2m. Bowyer knew he’d likely lose him for nothing in the summer - he’s gone to PNE on a free since - but forgoing that 2m was worth it.

Same situation with us and Lowe I feel.

Last edited:

Can't blame him for taking a step up....

Back