Jamal Lowe.

For balance...I think earlier on in the summer, nobody wanted to lose Lowe. But his attitude has apparently been horrendous since the back end of last season - hence him being benched in the playoff game.

In the end we had to make a decision. Keep a player who has not been trying, or take the money, and sign Harness and Marquis. We've also let Louis Dennis go as he wouldn't be getting the game time.

There's no doubt in most Pompey fans minds - we are going to be better going forward this season. But we have some doubts at the back. Downing looks an excellent signing, and Brown and MacGillivray are still there. I think we have replaced well at RB, plus whilst he splits opinion a bit, I like Walkes who has been getting better and better - so him and Bolton are very good competition. I admit if there is one position I do have my doubts over at this stage, it's the LCB slot. I am not a Burgess fan, who will start tomorrow I think. With Raggett picking up an elbow injury v Brighton in pre-season, it means that is probably the one 'chink' of armour I can see in the squad, especially with Whatmough out until Christmas.

But McCrorie looks like the addition in midfield we've been crying out for since Ben Thompson left, plus you have the ever improving Close who is banging on the door. He's probably been our best player in 2019, yet almost incredibly he's going to start the season on the bench.

Last edited:
For balance...I think earlier on in the summer, nobody wanted to lose Lowe. But his attitude has apparently been horrendous since the back end of last season - hence him being benched in the playoff game.

In the end we had to make a decision. Keep a player who has not been trying, or take the money, and sign Harness and Marquis. We've also let Louis Dennis go as he wouldn't be getting the game time.

There's no doubt in most Pompey fans minds - we are going to be better going forward this season. But we have some doubts at the back. Downing looks an excellent signing, and Brown and MacGillivray are still there. I think we have replaced well at RB, plus whilst he splits opinion a bit, I like Walkes who has been getting better and better - so him and Bolton are very good competition. I admit if there is one position I do have my doubts over at this stage, it's the LCB slot. I am not a Burgess fan, who will start tomorrow I think. With Raggett picking up an elbow injury v Brighton in pre-season, it means that is probably the one 'chink' of armour I can see in the squad, especially with Whatmough out until Christmas.

But McCrorie looks like the addition in midfield we've been crying out for since Ben Thompson left, plus you have the ever improving Close who is banging on the door. He's probably been our best player in 2019, yet almost incredibly he's going to start the season on the bench.

Sounds like you've assembled a team capable of winning the league and all domestic cups.

Gooch gets far to much stick his form in the first half of the season was fantastic. All people remember though is his poor second half of the season.

This is spot on, coincided with becoming a father and Maja leaving. A less mobile person leading the line definitely impacted his play. Ross putting up as a lone striker in the CT was ridiculous and wouldn’t have helped the lad. To me he looked like he was trying too hard, being too aggressive and not just playing his natural game.

This is spot on, coincided with becoming a father and Maja leaving. A less mobile person leading the line definitely impacted his play. Ross putting up as a lone striker in the CT was ridiculous and wouldn’t have helped the lad. To me he looked like he was trying too hard, being too aggressive and not just playing his natural game.
This for me as well, looked like he wanted to do everything himself.

Back