Jacob Young

That team wouldn't have even made the top half at the end of the season. Some of the club's applying their shithouse style and tactics against us would have seen our academy fresh young lads shit themselves every week.

3 or 4 of that squad have played in the first team and that's good going. Hume's development to the first team will likely step up again this coming season.

Fans are saying the club isn't fighting hard enough to keep them but I'm wondering if a lot of these young players are fighting hard enough to prove themselves here or just moving on, thinking they've made it at a bigger club when the likelyhood is that they will have to work harder within a bigger pool of younger players.

I wish Jacob good luck and hope to hear good things in the future about him as I'm 5/6 pages deep on this post and funnily enough, not seen one actual comment staying how good this lad looked.

I don't think this lad is any big loss like, I just think overall the approach to it hasn't been great IMO, they bad a really poor appointment to start with

Haven’t read through the full thread, but any regulars at the u23s last year have an opinion?

Mine was he never looked good for that team. He was lightweight & nowhere near Bainbridge, who will also not get in the team.

Don’t get upset about it because you’ll never hear of him again.

Nobody heard heard of him last week never mind touted him as any kind of talent.
Maybe not but it is a worrying sign and another youngster to jump ship.

Wheres the clear pathway for our youngsters to reach the first team, what is the direction we are trying to follow? Its seems when they leave u18 football we leave them to stagnate, not progress and only regress. Wheres the loans to get experience? Wheres the blooding them in the first team?

The entire point of the academy is so that we don’t have to spunk millions on players in the future. We brought in a player who’d played 40 league games in his entire career and who is barely 2 years older on loan as a central defender and he wasn’t even getting games by the end, yet this lad is apparently good enough for the German bundesliga based on a few U23 games.

People saying “oh it happens all the time” - yeah, because we don’t play the academy products, instead having to play the absolute dross signed by our management team.

We don't give any players hardly anytime, one shit game and they are labelled that for the time they are here! Take Ozturk for an example, didn't have the greatest of starts and was immediately slated and lost his place for most the season until coming back in and probably looking the more solid defender we actually had in the end.

Now, imagine the kind of shit a young academy lad would have got if he were in Ozturks place.....it's not the club's job to just throw players in before they are ready

Wheres the clear pathway for our youngsters to reach the first team, what is the direction we are trying to follow? Its seems when they leave u18 football we leave them to stagnate, not progress and only regress. Wheres the loans to get experience? Wheres the blooding them in the first team?

There's academy lads in the team now.

We don't give any players hardly anytime, one shit game and they are labelled that for the time they are here! Take Ozturk for an example, didn't have the greatest of starts and was immediately slated and lost his place for most the season until coming back in and probably looking the more solid defender we actually had in the end.

Now, imagine the kind of shit a young academy lad would have got if he were in Ozturks place.....it's not the club's job to just throw players in before they are ready

There's academy lads in the team now.
?

Tall, left footed, young. Sounds exactly what we need but has barely been mentioned as one with potential and its therefore surprising he's been scouted by Hoffenheim.

I agree with views that being a league 1 club can't be helping. There's 44 clubs in a higher league than us, before you even get to German league, French league etc.

Grim reality of league 1 unfortunately.
I have been one of those stating that league 1 for (just) one more season is not the end of the world. But it's smaller details like this that you forget about.

Are you referring to Honeyman or Gooch? We can hardly say they were blooded last season

Mumba played as did Hume.

You only usually get one or two coming thru at the same time. This season coming it looks like Embelton (if he signs) and Robson will get some game time.

Gooch and Honeyman have became more regular first team players and with those mentioned above, I'd say that's pretty good going from our academy in the last few year alone.

Certainly not the big worry that you're trying to indicate mate.

Mumba played as did Hume.

You only usually get one or two coming thru at the same time. This season coming it looks like Embelton (if he signs) and Robson will get some game time.

Gooch and Honeyman have became more regular first team players and with those mentioned above, I'd say that's pretty good going from our academy in the last few year alone.

Certainly not the big worry that you're trying to indicate mate.
I think it is a big worry. This is a massive opportunity to build a squad with home grown players. We aren't taking advantage of this

If they’re not good enough they don’t play. There’s loads of players went out on loan.

I’m not sure why Hoffenheim have signed a player not good enough for League One.

If there’d have been a thread about him getting into the first team, I can understand the hysteria, as it was a young lad has left us because he could see he wasn’t good enough where he was.

I think it is a big worry. This is a massive opportunity to build a squad with home grown players. We aren't taking advantage of this

How are we not when there's plenty in and around the squad?.....I've just mentioned 6 lads who are either regulars now or will be on the fringes of the squad next season.

6 academy players integrated into the squad in just over 2/3 seasons isn't bad at all.

How are we not when there's plenty in and around the squad?.....I've just mentioned 6 lads who are either regulars now or will be on the fringes of the squad next season.

6 academy players integrated into the squad in just over 2/3 seasons isn't bad at all.
I reckon Jack Ross will not have the same opinion as you.

The Germans obviously see a player in there. They’ll do their all to coax the quality out of him, so he can show it more and more consistently. They have good methods. Methods we should adopt.

It isn't. And it doesn't take into account Maja and Asoro too.

I'm still disappointed we let Nelson go so easily though. Here's hoping Robson and Hume are regulars and Mumba gets a few games next year

I reckon Jack Ross will not have the same opinion as you.

Tbf, he's played most of those lads.

I expect Hume will make the step up and EE, Mumba and Robson will be included in first team training with cup games and minutes from the subs bench to try and impress.

We'll see, but just throwing young lads in with the hope they'll somehow instantly improve the first team isn't the way to get promoted.

Tbf, he's played most of those lads.

I expect Hume will make the step up and EE, Mumba and Robson will be included in first team training with cup games and minutes from the subs bench to try and impress.

We'll see, but just throwing young lads in with the hope they'll somehow instantly improve the first team isn't the way to get promoted.
To be honest neither is a team full of experienced journeymen it seems.

Back