Jacob Young

but would the assets be worth more if we were seloing them as a league one club?
i mean-certainly-im baffled at some of the decisions-I

would have played kimpi more than streling and i would have kept nelson-for the sake of a small fee for the latter-we should have held on for a bit-nevause if he didnt almost anyting at league oen level the fee would be higher.

No, they wouldn't but we can't magic our way out of the division. We can only use it to our advantage in that some players would be far better off cutting their teeth in this division than the one above, Ethan Robson & Kimp for example.

What better time to implement an ethos of creating an academy driven club, or a club that is able to harness potential, or a club able to evaluate a player's intrinsic value instead of relying poorly on having the biggest budget in the league as our edge?

Honestly that should have been the core of our squad last year.

Asoro and Beadling left, possibly because we loaned awful players ahead of them the year before. Embleton and Robson were worth playing. Hume and Gooch obviously did play. Nelson I'd have given a go too

That team wouldn't have even made the top half at the end of the season. Some of the club's applying their shithouse style and tactics against us would have seen our academy fresh young lads shit themselves every week.

3 or 4 of that squad have played in the first team and that's good going. Hume's development to the first team will likely step up again this coming season.

Fans are saying the club isn't fighting hard enough to keep them but I'm wondering if a lot of these young players are fighting hard enough to prove themselves here or just moving on, thinking they've made it at a bigger club when the likelyhood is that they will have to work harder within a bigger pool of younger players.

I wish Jacob good luck and hope to hear good things in the future about him as I'm 5/6 pages deep on this post and funnily enough, not seen one actual comment staying how good this lad looked.

Didn't stand out to me so surprised by this. Hopefully does well out there. Good luck to the lad.

tbf
Sunderland (4-4-2): Stryjek; J Robson, Love, Beadling, Hume; Gooch (Gamble 76), Embleton, E Robson (Molyneux 46), Greenwood (Nelson 60); Maja, Asoro.

we seen most of them but let a few go

Well the defence were woeful that game & the midfield were chasing shadows. The 2 lads upfront didn't even get a kick as the ball didn't make it that far up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That team wouldn't have even made the top half at the end of the season. Some of the club's applying their shithouse style and tactics against us would have seen our academy fresh young lads shit themselves every week.

3 or 4 of that squad have played in the first team and that's good going. Hume's development to the first team will likely step up again this coming season.

Fans are saying the club isn't fighting hard enough to keep them but I'm wondering if a lot of these young players are fighting hard enough to prove themselves here or just moving on, thinking they've made it at a bigger club when the likelyhood is that they will have to work harder within a bigger pool of younger players.

I wish Jacob good luck and hope to hear good things in the future about him as I'm 5/6 pages deep on this post and funnily enough, not seen one actual comment staying how good this lad looked.

People keep saying things like this but I don't see why. We could still play Cattermole, Mclauclin, McGeady in the team and that group already included Maja and Gooch who were two of our best players at the start of the year. We could have been ten points worse off and barely dropped a place.

People keep saying things like this but I don't see why. We could still play Cattermole, Mclauclin, McGeady in the team and that group already included Maja and Gooch who were two of our best players at the start of the year. We could have been ten points worse off and barely dropped a place.

This league is full of over the hill wind up merchants, con men and nasty bastards that would take full advantage of a team made up mostly of the youth squad.

If it's promotion out of this league we are wanting, then playing a team made up predominantly of academy lads isn't going to cut it. A few of the young's lads have played this season and that's about as good as any team does in any league around the world.

Some lads are good enough to be thrown in, others too risky if you're fighting for promotion.

We could lower our expectations and play more youth, but that would probably cost us promotion for a few seasons and when you have costs for a stadium like ours and a Cat one academy to fund, it's imperative that we are at a higher level.

Last edited:
The entire point of the academy is so that we don’t have to spunk millions on players in the future. We brought in a player who’d played 40 league games in his entire career and who is barely 2 years older on loan as a central defender and he wasn’t even getting games by the end, yet this lad is apparently good enough for the German bundesliga based on a few U23 games.

People saying “oh it happens all the time” - yeah, because we don’t play the academy products, instead having to play the absolute dross signed by our management team.

Absolutely bizarre to insist that people aren't allowed to be disappointed with bad news. :lol:

Absolutely this. Presumably though he's been banned from first team duties because he was in the last 12 months of his deal.
I find that 12 month thing bizarre, if a player commits for 3 years then that's his commitment, to block him from playing is bad business in itself. Imagine the uproar if a player had one year left and he refused to play because the club won't offer him a new deal

we're a league 1 club and he's a free agent
Still get compensation due to age.

how? you can only get a max 150k for an under 16 player.

you also can't stop them moving if they wish to
I think everyone knows we have opened the flood gates on our youngsters and are happy for them to go with compensation.

That's why he's gone there. He'll be getting way more money from them than we can justify at the moment.
He may be getting money he may not. However my gut feel is he's gone as there is a better pathway into first team football than here.

no idea i'm just kind of annoyed we had an academy team good enough to get to the u23 European finals and two years later thet weren't good enough for league 1
Blame Ross for not being brave enough to show more faith in youth.

Honestly that should have been the core of our squad last year.

Asoro and Beadling left, possibly because we loaned awful players ahead of them the year before. Embleton and Robson were worth playing. Hume and Gooch obviously did play. Nelson I'd have given a go too
Stryjek and Molyneux were also worth a place in the squad.

Nelson, as you mentioned should have been kept in January instead of signing Sterling.

Very poor by the club.

Last edited:
This league is full of over the hill wind up merchants, con men and nasty bastards that would take full advantage of a team made up mostly of the youth squad.

If it's promotion out of this league we are wanting, then playing a team made up predominantly of academy lads isn't going to cut it. A few of the young's lads have played this season and that's about as good as any team does in any league around the world.

Some lads are good enough to be thrown in, others too risky if you're fighting for promotion.

We could lower our expectations and play more youth, but that would probably cost us promotion for a few seasons and when you have costs for a stadium like ours and a Cat one academy to fund, it's imperative that we are at a higher level.

We didn't get promoted anyway

The entire point of the academy is so that we don’t have to spunk millions on players in the future. We brought in a player who’d played 40 league games in his entire career and who is barely 2 years older on loan as a central defender and he wasn’t even getting games by the end, yet this lad is apparently good enough for the German bundesliga based on a few U23 games.

People saying “oh it happens all the time” - yeah, because we don’t play the academy products, instead having to play the absolute dross signed by our management team.
exactly

can you blame our youngsters

there's no clear pathway to the first team

We didn't get promoted anyway
exactly we are in the same position as last season. And it's even more vital to gain promotion so we will be less inclined to use youth players.

what a waste

Last edited:
The worrying thing is we had 4 bad CBs and loaned a kid from Burnley who wasn't much use. Meanwhile, we have 19 year old who is now signing for Hoffenheim but wasn't given a chance here!

It echos what James Talbot was saying. He loved the city, people and the club but became disillusioned with life as a footballer. He was let go by us. Now he's back playing for Bohemians and in the Ireland squad less than a year!

People can say want they want but something isn't right. Too many young players are leaving. In the case of Young and Talbot they aren't be giving a chance despite the failure of the senior players in their position.

The question needs to be asked, are we doing enough to encourage or keep these kids here?

Always a shame when players go to clubs higher up the pyramid. Overall I’m not that concerned, though. This is probably the first time in decades where we’ve been producing players that are in demand. I see no sign that these are specific cases. If anything, the reports of age group successes suggests that we’re generally getting it right in producing players at the moment. If some leave there will be more ready to take their place - and the reputation we are building up as a gateway will no doubt help our youth recruitment.

What should be of greater focus is the first team squad and the fact that its sheer size is an impediment to getting these players where we want them - in a red and white shirt. We need to clear the logjam in the first team and create more opportunity for these lads at our club. That way, the next time we have a Jacob Young on the fringes he might take the decision to stay and make his career here.

Good post. In my humble opinion ;)

The worrying thing is we had 4 bad CBs and loaned a kid from Burnley who wasn't much use. Meanwhile, we have 19 year old who is now signing for Hoffenheim but wasn't given a chance here!

It echos what James Talbot was saying. He loved the city, people and the club but became disillusioned with life as a footballer. He was let go by us. Now he's back playing for Bohemians and in the Ireland squad less than a year!

People can say want they want but something isn't right. Too many young players are leaving. In the case of Young and Talbot they aren't be giving a chance despite the failure of the senior players in their position.

The question needs to be asked, are we doing enough to encourage or keep these kids here?
Spot on. We need to be brave and show some faith.

Haven’t read through the full thread, but any regulars at the u23s last year have an opinion?

Mine was he never looked good for that team. He was lightweight & nowhere near Bainbridge, who will also not get in the team.

Don’t get upset about it because you’ll never hear of him again.

Lose any more of these young top talents and our academy status will be right up the Creek
Nobody heard heard of him last week never mind touted him as any kind of talent.

Back