Jacky White's Market

Possibly the only place in the world you can find a hardware store selling liquorice root, tis an esoteric mercantile gem to be treasured.

I only went in today cos me ma wanted a nostalgic visit (she's up visiting and hasn't been in for 30 years). She randomly ended up buying a few balls of wool to knit a Harry Potter scarf for my little un.

I went in there a few months ago for summit, can’t even remember what now but it was desolate. Hardly any of the units were open and there was a handful of people milling about. When my man used to drag me round there as a kid it was like a footy crowd, you could hardly move. Sign of the times innit?

It’s busy on a Saturday. The butchers, green grocers and electrical place look like they do really well. Some stalls are selling absolute shite but I presume they are patronised by a steady flow of piss soaked pensioners throughout the week.

Remember as a kid going to Hall's tripe counter everyweek by Ma Leg to pick up white honeycomb and some brown tripe for me fatha. The oldest wife who worked there had a different coloured rinse in her hair nearly every week and me and my sister would bet a 5p mix-up on what colour she would have.

Used to love going in there and asking if he had crabs legs.

On a side note can anyone remember what that chippy was called above the old bus station on the other side of the concrete pedestrian bridge from crowtree?

Cod, chips and a cuppa for £4.50 in the cafe. Cod was massive anarl.

Like stepping back to 1990 (price and decor) , but cannit get vexed for that price.
Like a trip round jw's
Council made a mistake not having a proper market hall designed into wal worth way in the 1969s then the 1990s with bridges

Like a trip round jw's
Council made a mistake not having a proper market hall designed into wal worth way in the 1969s then the 1990s with bridges

Iconic Sunderland landmark mate. Just a pity too many people in the city look down their noses at it. Wish we still had summat like it in Portsmouth. Charlotte's Superstore in the Tricorn is a big miss.

Back