Jack Ross Record

Changing managers year in year out has not worked well for us. It is surely time to be patient and let this young manager build us up gradually and in a sustainable manner. Two wins and two draws is not that bad a start and hopefully we will go that one step further this season and achieve promotion.
We would have a far better chance of achieving this if we had the backing of the supporters.. PS.. Our vocal support at Rochdale last night was excellent..

People are chuffed with the results but concerned with the performances. It's as simple as that for me. Not sure people should be so heavily criticised for having those views/concerns.

It also feels like this season has the ability to repeat last season. It felt like last season there was a lot of fairly regular concern about performances. In the end the results started mirroring those displays and we finished a disappointing 5th.

We cant afford to repeat last season.
I do say above 'Jury still out' hence still slightly concerned.

All I'm saying is the Negativity can't be the same when winning to losing, which it is on here.

Allardyce was applauded on here rightly so for being able to 'win ugly', we win Ugly under Ross and its greeted with all negative comments.

I still have huge doubts on Ross, however he can win Ugly all season for me

All well and good saying he only lost 5 games, but he finished 5th in 3rd tier of English football and he draws more than Neil Buchanan.

Spot on. Apart from the fact that Grigg cost £3M, Wyke was £650k and we only spent money on one other player, which was Baldwin at £200k.

Oh, and the total spend in League One was £6.3M (so the rest of the league spent around £2M not £200k) which means we were responsible for just over 50% of the league’s spend, so your 97% was only a little bit out.

If you exclude Grigg from all the figures we were responsible for 20% of the League’s spend, and we were outspent by Peterborough.

Oh, and here’s my source https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3/saison_id/2018
Nope. We bought O'Nien, fee mentioned somewhere at the time as being 380k but mostly referred to as undisclosed, and Power another one who was undisclosed but at a guess considering he'd played regularly for a team that has just been promoted into the championship it's likely that his fee would have been over the 200k mark.

Nope. We bought O'Nien, fee mentioned somewhere at the time as being 380k but mostly referred to as undisclosed, and Power another one who was undisclosed but at a guess considering he'd played regularly for a team that has just been promoted into the championship it's likely that his fee would have been over the 200k mark.
Take it up with Transfermarkt, they were my source. Still nowhere near 97% of the division’s total spend!

Last edited:
Take it up with Transfermarkt, they were my source. Still nowhere near 97% of the division’s total spend!
They have question marks against both of the players because they don't know the fees.

They also have a question mark against Maguire which is surprising given that he was released by Bury.

Last edited:
This suggestion of getting behind the manager and supporting the team is utterly ludicrous.

We stand a much better chance of promotion if we piss and moan. Also, I have a very empty and pathetic life. Shouting abuse at our own team is the only way to vent the frustrations of my futile existence.

All I'm saying is the Negativity can't be the same when winning to losing, which it is on here.

Allardyce was applauded on here rightly so for being able to 'win ugly', we win Ugly under Ross and its greeted with all negative comments.

I'd argue that we played some pretty decent stuff under Allardyce. In fact we played some excellent stuff under him. I know he had far better players at his his disposal but the football was far better than this rubbish.

Under ross it's just aimless long balls to no-one conceding possession far too easily. No apparent game plan. This team needs better coaching. It has to improve how it plays as a unit.

If it doesnt I'd be looking elsewhere.

I'm pro-Ross, but it's a bit different when you're fighting relegation in the Premier League to Fighting for promotion in League One.

His total record is played 50, lost 5, drew 22, won 23. With the best team, budget and club in the division. Ask yourself - would Bayern, Barca, ajax, Celtic, all be happy with that record? They are equally as above their divisions as we are, but wouldn’t have won many titles with records comparable to that

Teams win games. Not budgets. Building a team last season was not straightforward. Still maintain January transfer window stopped him in his tracks.
Had we two quality centre half’s would have walked division last year

Teams win games. Not budgets. Building a team last season was not straightforward. Still maintain January transfer window stopped him in his tracks.
Had we two quality centre half’s would have walked division last year

Yet in every league in World football, the team with the biggest budget is invariably right near the top end.

Ross signed baldwin, Ozturk, Flanagan, Dunne and Loovens. He had the chance to bring in two quality centre halfs and didn't.

Ross was given £4m to spend in January and spent it poorly. Managers are judged on their signings as much as anything and he failed miserably.

Doesn’t make it correct though. I agree that 442 is an improvement on the previous shambles, but it still isn’t the answer long term and neither is playing out of position full backs

Rather than skewing stats, why don’t you quote his points per game and see where that’ll get you over a season relative to promoted teams in the past? 23 wins, 22 draws and 5 losses gets you 91 points over 50 games, or scaling it to a 46 game season gets you 85 points. Second place teams in this league average over the last 10 years 89 points. He’s still somewhat short
Why do you keep harping on about playing FBs out of position ? Do you seriously believe he is doing this on purpose ? Did he play Mathews at LB when Oviedo was fit and his attitude sorted ? FFS man the club haven’t purchase a replacement yet, that’s not his fault , in fact he says today in his press conference , “lB coming in next week.

Why do you keep harping on about playing FBs out of position ? Do you seriously believe he is doing this on purpose ? Did he play Mathews at LB when Oviedo was fit and his attitude sorted ? FFS man the club haven’t purchase a replacement yet, that’s not his fault , in fact he says today in his press conference , “lB coming in next week.

Well he isn’t accidentally playing onien at right back is he? Does his finger slip on the team sheet or something?

He played onien out of position over Matthews for half of the season. Onien left back and McLaughlin right back at least puts one of them in position

Yet in every league in World football, the team with the biggest budget is invariably right near the top end.

Ross signed baldwin, Ozturk, Flanagan, Dunne and Loovens. He had the chance to bring in two quality centre halfs and didn't.

Ross was given £4m to spend in January and spent it poorly. Managers are judged on their signings as much as anything and he failed miserably.
If it was only that easy to just get two 'quality' centre halfs in though. Unfortunately 'quality' centre halfs don't sign for league one teams. He may have made a few transfer mistakes but Jordon Willis looks like a very good defender for league one. I also don't agree that Ross was simply 'given 4 million to spend in January'. The club went for Grigg and because it was transfer deadline day and we were desperate, Wigan took the piss. This was bad recruitment by the football club and not necessarily Jack Ross's fault. I agree that Jack Ross had made some mistakes but, to some, he's just a figure to direct blame at without looking at the bigger picture.

Wedve won half of them 19 draws last season we'd be in the championship
Fair play Hank, but if me uncle had tits and a fanny he'd be me auntie. Last season fell short to mine and all of our frustrations.... but only just. A couple of tweaks and we're there in my opinion. 5 defeats in 50 games impresses me because I feel he can improve on that. i don't think it will slip to more defeats and less wins. KTF me bonny lad

Last edited:

I agree sustained budget superiority should equal sustained success but year one is building. We had one of the highest spends over 10 years in the prem but we were not one of the best teams... on the contrary. Yet we had plenty of big names been there and done it managers.

His target last year was promotion and he failed - that is the only relevant statistic. If he succeeds this year then credit to him but it is only what any manager should achieve. It seems beyond dispute that he lost his nerve in the run in last year and made lots of mistakes. Is there anything to suggest he won't lose his nerve again - spending the whole pre-season trying bed in a system and then jettisoning it after 1 1/2 games is not at all impressive. We certainly shouldn't be careful about wishing for automatic promotion - is Ross the man that can deliver this - the only relevant question.
His personal target may have been promotion but the clubs wasn't so he didn't fail.

His personal target may have been promotion but the clubs wasn't so he didn't fail.
Using semantics to defend our failure - its beyond dispute that he made mistakes towards the end of the season - when we blew it. Blame injuries or the loss of Maja but his lack of settled system and team cost us. Personally i think the manager has to take a large slice of the blame.

Back