Jack Ross Record

His basic problem has been Grigg; big name signing to replace a promising goal scorer and he hasn't delivered at all. Our form dipped when Ross was constantly tinkering with the squad to try and make Grigg work. Which is actually good management that didn't have good results and it seems now he's looking further round the squad on how to shape his team. His hands have been tied, and i still think he's doing a reasonable - not great - job.
Its still early days of his first real season in charge (last season was all about bailing out the water before the ship sank)

No we didn’t. Not first team players anyway.

People on here will still try to claim everyone else in the league had it worse than us, purely blinded by their lust for Ross to be sacked.

Last season was to rebuild behind the scenes and get some stability on the pitch. Which was achieved and now this season we can judge Ross on his performances and results. All that needs to happen is to turn 5 of those draws into wins.

People on here will still try to claim everyone else in the league had it worse than us, purely blinded by their lust for Ross to be sacked.

Last season was to rebuild behind the scenes and get some stability on the pitch. Which was achieved and now this season we can judge Ross on his performances and results. All that needs to happen is to turn 5 of those draws into wins.
correct

Those people you mention are surely so few that it’s not really worth Mentioning it. It’s getting tiresome reading posts like this although your second half of your post is good.

As he goes into his 50th League game this week Ross has only lost five of them., he also took the team to a Wembley final in the process. It's also generally agreed that he took over a rapidly sinking ship that was described by some as a 'basket case' of a club.

As the Manager Sack race starts in earnest (note Huddersfield on Friday) I suspect a lot of Chairman and owners would look at that record with interest. Surely it's time to be grateful for what we"ve got?

Not perfect, but some people need to be careful what they wish for
So last night makes it officially five losses out of fifty games. Not a bad record and whilst some might twist about theyour see as a disproportionate number of draws our last two league games (Portsmouth and Rochdale) were arguably the kind of matches that were finishing 1-1 last season.

I think at times he's done well and at times he hasn't, overall I'm a bit 'meh' with him. His failure to set us up as a team which doesn't rely solely on one player in an atacking sense (first Maja, then mcgeady) is his biggest failure for me, given what he has to work with. it also seems to replicate how workmanlike his st Mirren team seems to have been from what I've heard (partly from Ross himself) relying massively on Lewis Morgan to make the difference.

I think he's tried to be attacking on occasions and everytime we have its exposed limitations within the squad and maybe limitations with Ross himself. He's then been quite pragmatic and changed it to something maybe overly cautious at times, but where we aren't too exposed.

The one thing in his favour IMO and we're hearing more and more of this coming out when we hear Roker Report podcasts who must have an idea given links with the club and people like Nick Barnes who also is close to the club is that he tells Coton and Hill the type of player he wants and they get them. Obviously he's had an input to that on occasions given some of the signings, but too often I think what we're bringing in isn't aligned to how he wants to play rectifying problems within the squad and if he hasnt got control of that he can't really be blamed.

Players were evidently much more comfortable in that system than they were with 3 at the back and wingbacks.

Doesn’t make it correct though. I agree that 442 is an improvement on the previous shambles, but it still isn’t the answer long term and neither is playing out of position full backs
So last night makes it officially five losses out of fifty games. Not a bad record and whilst some might twist about theyour see as a disproportionate number of draws our last two league games (Portsmouth and Rochdale) were arguably the kind of matches that were finishing 1-1 last season.

Rather than skewing stats, why don’t you quote his points per game and see where that’ll get you over a season relative to promoted teams in the past? 23 wins, 22 draws and 5 losses gets you 91 points over 50 games, or scaling it to a 46 game season gets you 85 points. Second place teams in this league average over the last 10 years 89 points. He’s still somewhat short

Last edited:
Doesn’t make it correct though. I agree that 442 is an improvement on the previous shambles, but it still isn’t the answer long term and neither is playing out of position full backs

Rather than skewing stats, why don’t you quote his points per game and see where that’ll get you over a season relative to promoted teams in the past? 23 wins, 22 draws and 5 losses gets you 91 points over 50 games, or scaling it to a 46 game season gets you 85 points. Second place teams in this league average over the last 10 years 89 points. He’s still somewhat short

He’s aware of the full back issue, I’m confident that it will be resolved before the window shuts, at least I hope it is!

Deciding to go into the season with wingbacks and no wingbacks in the squad was a pretty horrendous decision in my opinion.

We also didn’t have many friendlies at all to get the players used to this new system, or realise it wasn’t for us.

Lee Clark went 43 games unbeaten in this league. He didn't get promoted either.
We are once again struggling through games with our extra bit of quality shining through at times. My biggest worry is we'll do exactly the same as last season which will see us do well enough to keep Ross in the job throughout the season but will also see us in the same league next season.
I really hope I'm wrong but as yet I've seen nothing to suggest I won't be

Lee Clark went 43 games unbeaten in this league. He didn't get promoted either.
We are once again struggling through games with our extra bit of quality shining through at times. My biggest worry is we'll do exactly the same as last season which will see us do well enough to keep Ross in the job throughout the season but will also see us in the same league next season.
I really hope I'm wrong but as yet I've seen nothing to suggest I won't be
I agree with this. The football hasnt changed. Still no real pattern to our play. Still creating very little. It's all about results this season, I get that. But to have confidence we'll be top two at the end of the season performances must improve for me.

This is all pointless, because Jack Ross' 'record' will be manipulated to suit the biases of the person citing the stats. The people who like him will say 'only City and Liverpool lost less games', and the people who don't will say 'yes, but that stat is f***ing irrelevant if you finish the season unbeaten with 46 draws'.

The only stat that matters is that the target last season was automatic promotion, and we limped into 5th place and lost in the playoffs. He's now got this season to get us up, or should rightly be removed from his post. Failure to get Sunderland out of League 1 in two attempts would be unacceptable, and unworthy of a new contract. The football is mostly garbage and aimless, but I'm alright with that (for now) as long it is a means to an end - getting us out of this bloody division asap.

He’s aware of the full back issue, I’m confident that it will be resolved before the window shuts, at least I hope it is!

Deciding to go into the season with wingbacks and no wingbacks in the squad was a pretty horrendous decision in my opinion.

We also didn’t have many friendlies at all to get the players used to this new system, or realise it wasn’t for us.

I agree. Yet another strike against Ross in my eyes, pretty fundamental mistakes being made consistently.

Perspective is something lost on here.

I have been critical of Ross in particular end of last season.

However he was under big pressure post Ipswich to deliver, rightly so i may add, his response to win 3 games in a row, one being a probable promotion rival.

He said last week he's dammed if he does damned if he does'nt, this board is proving him right, Draw/lose abuse, Win likewise.

For me Jury still out on him, however 3 wins in a row changing a system that wasn't working should be applauded.

Win, Lose or draw he gets pelters, makes no sense.

I'll bet people on here praise other teams for winning not playing well as 'good team trait', we do it it's ridiculed??

Perspective is something lost on here.

I have been critical of Ross in particular end of last season.

However he was under big pressure post Ipswich to deliver, rightly so i may add, his response to win 3 games in a row, one being a probable promotion rival.

He said last week he's dammed if he does damned if he does'nt, this board is proving him right, Draw/lose abuse, Win likewise.

For me Jury still out on him, however 3 wins in a row changing a system that wasn't working should be applauded.

Win, Lose or draw he gets pelters, makes no sense.

I'll bet people on here praise other teams for winning not playing well as 'good team trait', we do it it's ridiculed??
People are chuffed with the results but concerned with the performances. It's as simple as that for me. Not sure people should be so heavily criticised for having those views/concerns.

It also feels like this season has the ability to repeat last season. It felt like last season there was a lot of fairly regular concern about performances. In the end the results started mirroring those displays and we finished a disappointing 5th.

We cant afford to repeat last season.

This is all pointless, because Jack Ross' 'record' will be manipulated to suit the biases of the person citing the stats. The people who like him will say 'only City and Liverpool lost less games', and the people who don't will say 'yes, but that stat is f***ing irrelevant if you finish the season unbeaten with 46 draws'.

The only stat that matters is that the target last season was automatic promotion, and we limped into 5th place and lost in the playoffs. He's now got this season to get us up, or should rightly be removed from his post. Failure to get Sunderland out of League 1 in two attempts would be unacceptable, and unworthy of a new contract. The football is mostly garbage and aimless, but I'm alright with that (for now) as long it is a means to an end - getting us out of this bloody division asap.
Actually, the chairman's target was promotion within two seasons so whatever 'your' target was and whether you like it or not, the fans are not setting the objectives and targets. The board have stated that automatic promotion this season is the target and Ross will be judged on that. I think Ross has done a reasonable job so far, in that he has stopped the rot and got us winning games again. I feel happier as a Sunderland fan right now than just before he was appointed.

Actually, the chairman's target was promotion within two seasons so whatever 'your' target was and whether you like it or not, the fans are not setting the objectives and targets.
Actually, Stewart Donald repeatedly said on every podcast last season and in numerous interviews that promotion was the goal last leason, and he apologised after the playoff final for the 'failure' to achieve the target. He did also say last season that it wouldn't be an absolute disaster if it required 2 seasons to get back up, but an immediate return was the goal. That wasn't 'my target', despite the attempts at apologetics and historical revisionism going on here.

Back