Jack Ross Record

He has won less than half of his league games since he’s been here and with our resources that is poor and the reason we didn’t get promoted last season. Great result yesterday and hopefully we go on a run now

Brian clough had a 46% win rate at Forest, Peter Reid and Roy Keane were also on mid 40% so he's not in bad company ( I am not saying Ross is as good as Clough, Reid or Keane )

Last edited:

As he goes into his 50th League game this week Ross has only lost five of them., he also took the team to a Wembley final in the process. It's also generally agreed that he took over a rapidly sinking ship that was described by some as a 'basket case' of a club.

As the Manager Sack race starts in earnest (note Huddersfield on Friday) I suspect a lot of Chairman and owners would look at that record with interest. Surely it's time to be grateful for what we"ve got?

Not perfect, but some people need to be careful what they wish for
His target last year was promotion and he failed - that is the only relevant statistic. If he succeeds this year then credit to him but it is only what any manager should achieve. It seems beyond dispute that he lost his nerve in the run in last year and made lots of mistakes. Is there anything to suggest he won't lose his nerve again - spending the whole pre-season trying bed in a system and then jettisoning it after 1 1/2 games is not at all impressive. We certainly shouldn't be careful about wishing for automatic promotion - is Ross the man that can deliver this - the only relevant question.

Brian clough had a 46% win rate at Forest, Peter Reid and Roy Keane were also on mid 40% so he's not in bad company ( I am not saying Ross is as good as Clough, Reid or Keane )
Reid and Keane both managed us at a higher level so their win rates are obviously going to drop in the premier league. They also didn’t have such a big gap in resources compared to rest of the league as Ross has had. I think Keane had the biggest budget in the championship but his win rate was over 50% when we were in that league and he delivered the title.

Reid and Keane both managed us at a higher level so their win rates are obviously going to drop in the premier league. They also didn’t have such a big gap in resources compared to rest of the league as Ross has had. I think Keane had the biggest budget in the championship but his win rate was over 50% when we were in that league and he delivered the title.
Bruce spent more then Keane that season iirc

I agree with all of the above and they are fair points but I guess what Im trying to say is that these things can be used or 'spun' to back any arguments for example Keane only won 1 more game than he lost so that stat makes him look not so good, Ross has only lost 8, that makes him look like a brilliant manager but Ross has also drawn 25 from 65 which doesn't look so hot

Spin it any way you like Ross presided over the worst ever season in our 130 years in the football league. The football was dross and the performance in the playoff final alone should have been enough to earn him the bullet

No I’m saying that the order in which goals are scored and conceded during the ebb and flow of a football match is not determined by the blokes standing on the touchline.

But it is.

Otherwise what is a managers role?

He sends the team out in a particular formation. If that is 4-5-1 with an emphasis on defending and allowing the opposition to have the ball and they subsequently score then of course it’s his doing.

I have no idea what point you are tying to make. To follow your thinking if we went up the other end and got an equaliser it would be purely down to the players not the manager.

In effect you are saying the manager has no influence during a game.
This is what I found mad from so called supporters calling for his head. I agree towards end of season went downhill but f***ing hell only lost 5

You don’t get promoted for not losing games. You get promoted for winning them.

Last edited:
But it is.

Otherwise what is a managers role?

He sends the team out in a particular formation. If that is 4-5-1 with an emphasis on defending and allowing the opposition to have the ball and they subsequently score then of course it’s his doing.

I have no idea what point you are tying to make. To follow your thinking if we went up the other end and got an equaliser it would be purely down to the players not the manager.

In effect you are saying the manager has no influence during a game.

You don’t get promoted for not losing games. You get promoted for winning them.
Guess the point I’m trying to make is that he has a pretty good Sunderland record thus far

The 'sack Ross' movement is laughable, as to disagree that this club was a 'rapidly sinking ship's. Christ, people have short memories. When we came down to league 1 this club was a basket case emotionally, financially and everything else. It felt even worse than the mid 80's to me because we actually looked like we could go under.
We really have to stop this endless round of sacking managers after one full season, its madness. He's done ok in the face of huge odds really, and deserves at least another season with full backing. Tin hat on, and this won't suit the hate brigade I know, but I'm sure the vast majority of real fans want him to have a chance to succeed here.
Spot on excellent post.

I said I would give him 10 games this season before making long-term judgement...it didn't start well for sure but let's just wait and see. The new players are looking like quality additions with a couple more to come and the start is quite good.Lets get behind them aye?
10 games is hardly a long term view. We need to give a manager time to build something for a change.

Please get some sense of reality. We spent £4m on Grigg, £1m on Wyke and about £1m on other players. The whole league combined apart from us spent £200k or thereabouts. That gives us about 97% of the total league spend. This is equivalent to Man City spending about £50bn in the January transfer window this season.
Spot on. Apart from the fact that Grigg cost £3M, Wyke was £650k and we only spent money on one other player, which was Baldwin at £200k.

Oh, and the total spend in League One was £6.3M (so the rest of the league spent around £2M not £200k) which means we were responsible for just over 50% of the league’s spend, so your 97% was only a little bit out.

If you exclude Grigg from all the figures we were responsible for 20% of the League’s spend, and we were outspent by Peterborough.

Oh, and here’s my source https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3/saison_id/2018

Last edited:
Are you seriously comparing Ferguson to Ross? You are clueless
I am relying on the evidence that Ferguson was not an immediate success at Man Utd and that similarly there needs to be some patience applied in the case of Jack Ross at SAFC.

When Jack Ross arrived on 25 May 2018, SAFC's stock had never been so low and he inherited a situation where the likes of Rodwell, Kone, N'Dong, Djilobdji and Gibson were still, to use the colourful phrase that was used routinely on here 'stinking the place out', with others, notably Lens, Borini and Khazri and McNair, for obvious reasons, indicating that they were not prepared to return to, or stay at, the club. The 'churn' of players since his arrival has been 25 departures and 17 arrivals. That is a lot of change to deal with and incorporate.

Off the field, there was the financial situation to contend with. I think that this may have been mentioned on here. The new owners were trying to stabilise a ship that if not sunk or sinking, was beached and stranded.

Putting this right and replacing the dreadful culture that had been allowed to fester for several years is not a short-term task and it may not be pretty to watch during the process. But it is something that will need to be borne with some fortitude and grim determination, if the club wants to progress. Even so, there have been some 'highlights' of sorts. For example, two trips to Wembley.

So no, I'm not comparing Jack Ross with Alex Ferguson, he most successful manager in the game's history. However, there are some direct parallels to be drawn between the two, in terms of their first couple of seasons in English football.

Ross has managed a total of 65 games for SAFC, with a ratio of 32 wins, 25 draws and 8 defeats which gives a win ratio of 49.23%. Given the prevailing circumstances, that doesn't seem too shabby.
I like him and I think he will be successful in the long run.

I’d love for him to be in charge at the club for a long time.

I would love to see us allow a manager to build something. In my life time there’s only been Reidy who has lasted longer than 5 years and he left the club 17 years ago.
Excellent post !

Last edited:
I am relying on the evidence that Ferguson was not an immediate success at Man Utd and that similarly there needs to be some patience applied in the case of Jack Ross at SAFC.

When Jack Ross arrived on 25 May 2018, SAFC's stock had never been so low and he inherited a situation where the likes of Rodwell, Kone, N'Dong, Djilobdji and Gibson were still, to use the colourful phrase that was used routinely on here 'stinking the place out', with others, notably Lens, Borini and Khazri and McNair, for obvious reasons, indicating that they were not prepared to return to, or stay at, the club. The 'churn' of players since his arrival has been 25 departures and 17 arrivals. That is a lot of change to deal with and incorporate.

Off the field, there was the financial situation to contend with. I think that this may have been mentioned on here. The new owners were trying to stabilise a ship that if not sunk or sinking, was beached and stranded.

Putting this right and replacing the dreadful culture that had been allowed to fester for several years is not a short-term task and it may not be pretty to watch during the process. But it is something that will need to be borne with some fortitude and grim determination, if the club wants to progress. Even so, there have been some 'highlights' of sorts. For example, two trips to Wembley.

So no, I'm not comparing Jack Ross with Alex Ferguson, he most successful manager in the game's history. However, there are some direct parallels to be drawn between the two, in terms of their first couple of seasons in English football.

Ross has managed a total of 65 games for SAFC, with a ratio of 32 wins, 25 draws and 8 defeats which gives a win ratio of 49.23%. Given the prevailing circumstances, that doesn't seem too shabby.

Excellent post !

Cut out the pointless cup games. 22 draws from 48 league games. Absolute shambles. Nice fudging of stats to prove your own agenda. Better luck next time

Back