Jack Ross Record

The 'sack Ross' movement is laughable, as to disagree that this club was a 'rapidly sinking ship's. Christ, people have short memories. When we came down to league 1 this club was a basket case emotionally, financially and everything else. It felt even worse than the mid 80's to me because we actually looked like we could go under.
We really have to stop this endless round of sacking managers after one full season, its madness. He's done ok in the face of huge odds really, and deserves at least another season with full backing. Tin hat on, and this won't suit the hate brigade I know, but I'm sure the vast majority of real fans want him to have a chance to succeed here.
Excellent post !

Please get some sense of reality. We spent £4m on Grigg, £1m on Wyke and about £1m on other players. The whole league combined apart from us spent £200k or thereabouts. That gives us about 97% of the total league spend. This is equivalent to Man City spending about £50bn in the January transfer window this season. We had premier league players last season in Oviedo and Catts. We had previous league one winners in badically every other position. We have McGeady who is by far the best player in the division and capable of being at a top championship side. To suggest we didn’t have a massive advantage over other sides is naive at best. Luton played in the conference two years ago - we played in the PL - and they finished above us. Charlton didn’t have 18 players to start the season. Pompey nearly went bankrupt 12 months prior to the start of last season. Barnsley sold half their team and didn’t replace many of them. We aren’t the only club with issues. To finish behind any of those should be considered an aberration by our clubs standards, but the happy clappers have become so pacified by Moyes and Grayson and others that they’ll accept total mediocrity. Sorry but last season was so far away from acceptable it isn’t even funny.

The previous owner paid off the debt entirely and we had £40m worth of parachute payments to keep us afloat. The problem players were offloaded way before the season started and other teams had way worse problems than us
We didn't spend 4mill on grigg

Which teams are better than us in this league then?

That's subjective and a matter of opinion and not fact.
All last season and this until yesterday, almost every player has been called shite, worst player ever etc. Defenders can't defend, strikers can't score, nobody can pass and on top of all that the manager can't manage. How supporters with views like this can expect the team to then piss the league really baffles me.

We didn't spend 4mill on grigg

Donald said 3 million on twitter and confirmed not long after we signed him it would be 4 million with add ons.

I think I read somewhere yesterday he said he spent 5 million in total on transfer fees last year so not sure where the rest has come from.
I like him and I think he will be successful in the long run.

I’d love for him to be in charge at the club for a long time.

I would love to see us allow a manager to build something. In my life time there’s only been Reidy who has lasted longer than 5 years and he left the club 17 years ago.

I'd like to see him bring in a director of football. Let him deal with the off the pitch stuff and a dof deal with what happens on the pitch. I'm not at all impressed with his football knowledge and certain decisions he's made with that respect.

He's done a good job with the finances providing everything he says is indeed exactly what he says it is.

Last edited:
So, to be clear, the order in which the goals are scored during a football match is determined not by the men on the field of play, but by the bloke standing on the touchline ? Fascinating ! Who knew ?!

Aye.

That’s the role of the manager.

Are you suggesting the players set themselves up in a particular formation or to play a certain way?

That's subjective and a matter of opinion and not fact.
All last season and this until yesterday, almost every player has been called shite, worst player ever etc. Defenders can't defend, strikers can't score, nobody can pass and on top of all that the manager can't manage. How supporters with views like this can expect the team to then piss the league really baffles me.

So none then

His total record is played 50, lost 5, drew 22, won 23. With the best team, budget and club in the division. Ask yourself - would Bayern, Barca, ajax, Celtic, all be happy with that record? They are equally as above their divisions as we are, but wouldn’t have won many titles with records comparable to that

What the fuck!

Alex Ferguson joined Man Utd in November 1986. At the time he joined them the were 21st in the then First Division; they ended up in 11th place. His first game in charge was a 2-0 defeat by Oxford United.

The following season, while United lost only five league games, they drew 12 games.

His first trophy came in May 1990, when Man Utd won the FA Cup, 42 months after he had joined the club. Before the start of that cup run, there were widespread calls for his dismissal.

After that first trophy, he was then manager whilst Man Utd won another four FA Cups, 13 League titles, four League Cups, one European Cup-Winners Cup and two European Cup/Champions League.

Ferguson has explained that it took time (a lot of time !) to develop and build a sustainable organisational culture within the club. A culture where things are done the right way, where people know what to expect and what is expected of them and where they are expected to buy in to the system, or ship out. Where recruitment and retention takes into account the person’s character and not just their playing abilities.

SAFC has ridden on the managerial merry-go-round far too often during the last 15-20 years. It is now time to be patient and allow an intelligent, conscientious and articulate manager to get on with the job of building this club’s own organisational culture, even if it means having to live with not immediately being ‘The Barcelona Of The North’ while it happens.
Aye.

That’s the role of the manager.

Are you suggesting the players set themselves up in a particular formation or to play a certain way?
No I’m saying that the order in which goals are scored and conceded during the ebb and flow of a football match is not determined by the blokes standing on the touchline.

Last edited:
As he goes into his 50th League game this week Ross has only lost five of them., he also took the team to a Wembley final in the process. It's also generally agreed that he took over a rapidly sinking ship that was described by some as a 'basket case' of a club.

As the Manager Sack race starts in earnest (note Huddersfield on Friday) I suspect a lot of Chairman and owners would look at that record with interest. Surely it's time to be grateful for what we"ve got?

Not perfect, but some people need to be careful what they wish for

Only Man City and Liverpool have lost fewer game than us fact.

Which teams are better than us in this league then?

All of the things you identify could be attributed to Ross’ failures
I’m not for a minute saying Ross is perfect. The way we blew promotion when we were level with Barnsley with two games in hand was concerning. However, I do think more patience is required than you do. We laugh at the mags for believing Rafa could do no wrong, but i think we need to be careful not to swallow a narrative that Ross can do nothing right.
He’s been given the chance to prepare and build for this season . I think the time to judge will be in May.
I think we just differ on timescale!
Alex Ferguson joined Man Utd in November 1986. At the time he joined them the were 21st in the then First Division; they ended up in 11th place. His first game in charge was a 2-0 defeat by Oxford United.

The following season, while United lost only five league games, they drew 12 games.

His first trophy came in May 1990, when Man Utd won the FA Cup, 42 months after he had joined the club. Before the start of that cup run, there were widespread calls for his dismissal.

After that first trophy, he was then manager whilst Man Utd won another four FA Cups, 13 League titles, four League Cups, one European Cup-Winners Cup and two European Cup/Champions League.

Ferguson has explained that it took time (a lot of time !) to develop and build a sustainable organisational culture within the club. A culture where things are done the right way, where people know what to expect and what is expected of them and where they are expected to buy in to the system, or ship out. Where recruitment and retention takes into account the person’s character and not just their playing abilities.

SAFC has ridden on the managerial merry-go-round far too often during the last 15-20 years. It is now time to be patient and allow an intelligent, conscientious and articulate manager to get on with the job of building this club’s own organisational culture, even if it means having to live with not immediately being ‘The Barcelona Of The North’ while it happens.

No I’m saying that the order in which goals are scored and conceded during the ebb and flow of a football match is not determined by the blokes standing on the touchline.
The case for patience very eloquently put.
There was some knacker on Twitter at half time yesterday saying he was now leaning towards Ross in - as if his fate should be decided half by half!

Last edited:
As he goes into his 50th League game this week Ross has only lost five of them., he also took the team to a Wembley final in the process. It's also generally agreed that he took over a rapidly sinking ship that was described by some as a 'basket case' of a club.

As the Manager Sack race starts in earnest (note Huddersfield on Friday) I suspect a lot of Chairman and owners would look at that record with interest. Surely it's time to be grateful for what we"ve got?

Not perfect, but some people need to be careful what they wish for
If he was managing us in The Championship then I''d agree with you but he's not, we're in L1 and it's a record that is no better than par

Are you seriously comparing Ferguson to Ross? You are clueless

Back