Jack Ross...16 Games Left As SAFC Manager?

who do we get in?

Genuine question because his job must be under threat if we make a bad start and we can’t afford 4 weeks with no manager

We’ve got to start thinking about this but hope that we don’t have to do it

Ross has got to make a good start. I think he’ll need to be top 2 by December.

If we are not there or there abouts during Aug/Sept the pressure will be too much for JR and the Owners.

However, without new investment, and inability to sign players, how can we afford a manager who is worth his salt?

I want JR to succeed, but worry that we couldn’t even afford to bring Nigel Clough from Burton at the minute!

I am sure Ross has some ability as a manager, but he was parachuted in to one of the biggest clubs in the country, to manage in a league where he had no experience, and presumably very few contacts. From day one we looked physically weak to compete against many of the settled sides in the league, and our style of football as well as being garbage, failed to get the best out of strikers who had proven goal scoring ability. Think a change should've been made at the end of the season, and I certainly haven't seen or heard anything yet to inspire me with confidence for the coming campaign.

I am sure Ross has some ability as a manager, but he was parachuted in to one of the biggest clubs in the country, to manage in a league where he had no experience, and presumably very few contacts. From day one we looked physically weak to compete against many of the settled sides in the league, and our style of football as well as being garbage, failed to get the best out of strikers who had proven goal scoring ability. Think a change should've been made at the end of the season, and I certainly haven't seen or heard anything yet to inspire me with confidence for the coming campaign.

We've always looked physically weak even in the Premiership we were easily bullied let alone in the championship & league one

i think the knives are still out from last season and if we make a poor start the clamour for him to go will only increase

If this is a genuine comment and not a wind up this is up their with the stupidest things I've ever seen on this message board
How? Our owners couldn’t afford to make us competitive in the championship that’s why they were looking for investment / selling. They’ve made money through checkatrade run and play offs.

I wanted him gone after the check-a-trade final. No excuse for that second half performance.
However, I'll give him till Christmas this season. I don't think it's about being in top 2 10 games in, I think it's about improving performances. If we get better every game, and look like going from winning a game, to dominating games rather than holding on for a draw then the points will come.

Not too hopeful based on the last 6 months, but he has no excuses this season.

How? Our owners couldn’t afford to make us competitive in the championship that’s why they were looking for investment / selling. They’ve made money through checkatrade run and play offs.

I'm not going to get into what is a completely insane argument on this but I will ask , how much money do you think we made on the play offs and checkatrade?

He'll not last beyond September. It's amazing he's still in a job given the way he completely fucked it up last season, very limited manager.
The owners will stubbornly hang fire till October before sacking him but this is the most obvious sacking waiting to happen I have known in 40 odd year. We have wasted a complete summer by not being ruthless, he should have gone after bottling Wembley.

I wanted him gone after the check-a-trade final. No excuse for that second half performance.
However, I'll give him till Christmas this season. I don't think it's about being in top 2 10 games in, I think it's about improving performances. If we get better every game, and look like going from winning a game, to dominating games rather than holding on for a draw then the points will come.

Not too hopeful based on the last 6 months, but he has no excuses this season.

Couldn't possibly agree more with your opening paragraph mate.

The owners will stubbornly hang fire till October before sacking him but this is the most obvious sacking waiting to happen I have known in 40 odd year. We have wasted a complete summer by not being ruthless, he should have gone after bottling Wembley.

In terms of obvious sackings ovee the past 40 years I'll raise you MON, Steve Bruce, Gus Poyet, Chris Coleman, Simon Grayson, Peter Reid , Howard Wilkinson, Mick McCarthy, Lawrie mackenemy all deserved to be sacked.

OP has presumably only been to recent games.

Yeah , the club was in turmoil, debted up to the eyeballs, or even above the eyebrows. Years of relegation fights and players (if you can call them that), refusing to play whilst picking up 70k wages. New owners come in and work hard sorting finances out. Manager moves down from Scotland with his family and has to adapt straight away and set about quickly assembling a team. Lot of the team were too good for Div 1 so he would have basics of good side........wrong, they were still reeling from relegation and had little confidence.

I hope to fuck he shoves it down the folk throats all over threads hoping he fails........
I have been critical of Ross and have my doubts. Playing with no striker at Wembley was jut madness and the negative football with 1 isolated striker was horrible to watch.

However, I hope you are right. I hope he learns from his mistakes and turns it around.

I would be more than happy to be proved wrong but he has to be way more attacking this season and the football has to be better to watch.

I don’t like his style of play nor do I think it’s the right style of play for this league. I would love him to be in charge by December cos that would mean we were winning games, I don’t think so.

There's more things going to unfold in pre-season and as the season starts and we have players returning to fitness who will help. I don't see enough changing in personnel to see a large change in how we play or our approach, I don't see much intent (so far) in the transfer market.

I think we will make one or two signings for money but it won't be large amounts and it won't be the type of fee to get Maddison, who I don't even think we've got real interest in. We are also going to lose probably a couple more high earners which will harm us unless we show some intent to get some more quality in.

It looks very much like the players we are strongly linked with may not even be players in attacking areas given the Dobson interest, so unless we pull off a few masterstrokes in the loan market I think the manager is going to be under some immediate pressure. He may last more than 10 games, but IMO that might only be due to how quickly the games will come at the start of the season.

Back