Jack Diamond and Anthony Patterson

Probably more valuable training with the first team than staying back to play 45 minutes against Morpeth with the 23s tbf.

Probably more valuable training with the first team than staying back to play 45 minutes against Morpeth with the 23s tbf.

Probably more valuable playing against men when the u23s were beaten against men last year in the Durham cup and just to playing tippy tappy football in the u23 league

That’s my point though. Sammut obviously made an impression so was given game time. They were given that chance in training, more so than they would’ve back at home. You’ve been twisting about us being “undercooked” on other threads but you’re now twisting saying senior players should have had game time cut to allow for youngsters who aren’t ready getting time. If they’d made a strong enough impression in training they’d have played. As Sammut shows.
One of the reason why I'm not happy with the lack of friendlies is it restricts the chance to have a look at youth players. Look at my original post about my concerns around few friendlies. The lack of minutes for these 2 lads prove that.

Agree over course of season but I think in pre-season the better younger lads will benefit more from training with the first team. Hopefully they go out on loan to conference or something during the season.

Not at the expense of first teamers

I agree to an extent. Nee harm giving the kids a 15-20 min run out in one of the matches imo.

But how do you facilitate that when you need to get minutes into the players who will be starting the season. The young lads will benefit from the experience and will have been given a chance to stake a claim. Sammut went over there to make up the numbers and obviously made an impression.

Aye but he impressed because he got minutes on the pitch.

Probably more valuable playing against men when the u23s were beaten against men last year in the Durham cup and just to playing tippy tappy football in the u23 league
Totally agree. I hope weve entered the Durham cup again.

We should have the youth teams playing more local northern league sides. Get them used to mens football.

I went to the u18 v RCA last week and I reckon the lads got loads out of it.

By the way any idea what the score was yesterday for the u18s v Jarrow?

One of the reason why I'm not happy with the lack of friendlies is it restricts the chance to have a look at youth players. Look at my original post about my concerns around few friendlies. The lack of minutes for these 2 lads prove that.
It doesn’t though. It proves they aren’t ready. Patterson was never going to stake a claim ahead of McLaughlin this season but it’ll have been good experience for him being involved. Diamond would have played more if he had impressed in training. He obviously didn’t. Can’t really complain the manager isn’t giving academy players a chance when Embleton, Robson and Kimpioka have all been heavily involved in pre season.

I agree to an extent. Nee harm giving the kids a 15-20 min run out in one of the matches imo.

Aye but he impressed because he got minutes on the pitch.
I’m talking about him making an impression in training, which is why he’s been given minutes.

Totally agree. I hope weve entered the Durham cup again.

We should have the youth teams playing more local northern league sides. Get them used to mens football.

I went to the u18 v RCA last week and I reckon the lads got loads out of it.

By the way any idea what the score was yesterday for the u18s v Jarrow?
1-0 jarrow.

The most of this current u23 crop will end up in the northern league.

It doesn’t though. It proves they aren’t ready. Patterson was never going to stake a claim ahead of McLaughlin this season but it’ll have been good experience for him being involved. Diamond would have played more if he had impressed in training. He obviously didn’t. Can’t really complain the manager isn’t giving academy players a chance when Embleton, Robson and Kimpioka have all been heavily involved in pre season.

I’m talking about him making an impression in training, which is why he’s been given minutes.
How do you know Diamond and Patterson didn't make an impression in training or less than Sammutt?

How do you know Diamond and Patterson didn't make an impression in training or less than Sammutt?
Because the manager picked him and not them. What else do we have to go on? It’s quite clear the manager is willing to give opportunities to young players. Hence the heavy involvement of the players I mentioned.

Because the manager picked him and not them. What else do we have to go on? It’s quite clear the manager is willing to give opportunities to young players. Hence the heavy involvement of the players I mentioned.
So you are making an assumption. I dont agree about Ross giving opportunities.

So you are making an assumption. I dont agree about Ross giving opportunities.
Haway man. :lol:. It seems like you’re expecting us to line up with 11 academy players every week and any thing less is a lack of opportunities. All the evidence of this pre season suggests he has faith in them. 4 young lads look like they are going to be given much bigger roles in the squad this season. Have you ever thought that maybe some of the young lads just aren’t good enough.

Haway man. :lol:. It seems like you’re expecting us to line up with 11 academy players every week and any thing less is a lack of opportunities. All the evidence of this pre season suggests he has faith in them. 4 young lads look like they are going to be given much bigger roles in the squad this season. Have you ever thought that maybe some of the young lads just aren’t good enough.
I guess we will see when the line up is named for the first game of the season

I’d expect Hume and Embleton to be heavily involved. I’d be worried if Robson was a regular starter but he’s clearly been given a chance.
Robson would be ok nothing more nothing less unfortunately hes prone to giving the ball away in dangerous positions

Back