Jack Charlton RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems a top chap, and lovely to hear the comments on here. Though I have to say I remember him co-commentating on the second leg of the Gillingham play-off match on Radio Five (may even have been Radio Two back then) and him giving Sunderland a right slagging - the club and the fans. Mind may be playing tricks on me, but remember at the time thinking it a bit unnecessary!
That might have been Colin Todd.

Seems a top chap, and lovely to hear the comments on here. Though I have to say I remember him co-commentating on the second leg of the Gillingham play-off match on Radio Five (may even have been Radio Two back then) and him giving Sunderland a right slagging - the club and the fans. Mind may be playing tricks on me, but remember at the time thinking it a bit unnecessary!
Gan on - the lad was a Centre Half if he couldn't wind up the opposition and make them bite he wasn't doing his job. I always has the impression through out his life that he was good a it and loved doing it.

Remember organising a talk in with him and Jackie Ashurst, when they were both managers of a Newcastle and Sunderland, great night good crack and possibly the only time both current serving managers did a joint talk in.

Charlton , insisted on being paid in used notes lol.

Erm.....😀

Yes and clubs too. It was always A-jax Amsterdam with him rather than A-yax.
A-jax was how we all said it until the eighties. I think the widespread change to Eyeaxe (doesn't work in Eshinton pitmatic like) is the reason they declined.:)
RIP Jack, hope me Dad's having a good bit footy natter upstairs with ya x
Saw The Dubliners in the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden when that came out and it was played and announced as a new record. Great memories.
Was in stitches when that was broadcast. Nobody else, other than Cloughy would have come out with something so blunt.

Last edited:
Is there another town in the country that has pushed above its weight in producing sportsmen as much as Ashington? Jack and Bobby Charlton, Jackie and Jack Milburn, Cec Irwin, Jimmy Adamson, Steve and Ben Harmison, Mark Wood and others all from a small, quite run down former mining town.

A giant of the game. World Cup Winner, great job for the Republic of Ireland getting them to World Cups in the USA and Italy....

When you think he played over 700 games for Dirty Leeds and managed both Boro AND the Mags I still find it impossible to have a bad word for him.

RIP

“My old man said follow Sunderland
And don’t dilly dally on the way
Off on the coach with the boot boys in it
We took Boro (the Holgate) in half a minute..”

Or....
My old man said be a Boro fan
And dont dilly dally on the way
We took the Fulwell and all that's in it
We took the Leazes in half a minute
With hatchets and hammers
Bog chains and spanners
We showed the geordie bas**rds how to fight
So dont try and take the Holgate when Boro's in it
Cos Boro rules alright.
Yes and clubs too. It was always A-jax Amsterdam with him rather than A-yax.
Aye, and Joe-Han Cruff
So much for the 'rookie managers never do owt' idea.
His first season with Boro - we stormed the old second division and then finished 7th in the first division the next season.
We were an 'ok' 2nd division side under Stan Anderson , but Jack really turned em into a good team.

Last edited:
Remember organising a talk in with him and Jackie Ashurst, when they were both managers of a Newcastle and Sunderland, great night good crack and possibly the only time both current serving managers did a joint talk in.

Charlton , insisted on being paid in used notes lol.
No doubt based upon sound advice from Don Revie during his Leeds days 😂

RIP Jack, a true gent indeed who always remembered his roots.

My Heroes might have beat him on the day but he is a Hero as well!
Did his hamstring v Wolves in semis iirc. Twas like an electric current going through him. First time I’d ever heard of a hamstring I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back