Jack Charlton RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

A great no nonsense centre half. Not like some of these nanny pambys playing now .. That's 3 of that great Leeds team gone now in quick succession. RIP jack

I went to one of his coaching days (don't remember it being televised) when I was a kid.
He was imposing to say the least, and to a bunch of young kids, more than a bit scary.

'Ginger. Ginger. Over here son. The tall lad... the tall lad. You go centre forward. Reet, the lad with the lang hair ... out on the wing.....no no other side ... get a move on shorty ... and so on in that unmistakable accent.

I don't remember much else.
I wasn't much of a footballer and was glad when it was over.

He'd be barred from coaching now if he used that terminology 😂

Its probably been said but its a disgrace big Jack wasnt knighted along with every member of 1966 squad . He was a true star and a credit to the North East. Plus 20 years at Leeds . You will never see that again.

His press conferences were so funny, intentionally or otherwise giving the impression that he didn't know his own players. Think it was the 94 WC when he was doing one of them that went something like ...
Jack (rolling a sweet around in his mouth) "Right, the team for tomorrow is er, Packie Bonner at number 1 ... Packie is er, goalkeeper. At right back, Dennis Irwin. Er, left back is, er Stevie, er Staunton. Er, centre halves ....."
He's interrupted by one of the press who asks "What about Terry Phelan, Jack?"
Jack looks up "Terry Phelan? Terry ...."
Jack turns to his assistant Maurice Setters and says "Is Terry Phelan with us?"
Maurice confirms he is, so Jack says"Oh, right. Terry Phelan is left back tomorrow then. Centre halves ...."
Cue howls of laughter from the room.

RIP Jack

North East Legend. 85 not a bad knock and not many will achieve as much as he did.
RIP Jack, thanks for the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back