Jack Charlton RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
was on the radio today....he didnt judge the world cup win as his greatest achievement due to him not playing so many games and being so focused upon it as the likes of 'our kid'....reckoned beating liverpool to the title was the best

RIP

His TV coaching series on Tyne Tees seemed to be on every holiday for years. Think it was filmed at Durham, but can’t find any trace of it on YouTube. Good man.

I went to one of his coaching days (don't remember it being televised) when I was a kid.
He was imposing to say the least, and to a bunch of young kids, more than a bit scary.

'Ginger. Ginger. Over here son. The tall lad... the tall lad. You go centre forward. Reet, the lad with the lang hair ... out on the wing.....no no other side ... get a move on shorty ... and so on in that unmistakable accent.

I don't remember much else.
I wasn't much of a footballer and was glad when it was over.

Just googled it, didn't know either

Charlton was limited to 25 appearances in the 1972–73 campaign and suffered an injury in the FA Cup semi-final against Wolves which ended his season. After failing to regain his fitness for the final, he announced his retirement.

Read a few articles on him over the years and on his fall out with Bobby. The key reason seems to be the Munich air disaster, jackie said it really changed Bobby.

RIP big man, fondly recall playing footy in the field and someone masively over-hitting a cross. "i'm not Jackie Charlton"!!

That may be true, but I'm almost certain that the main reason he fell out with Bobby was because he didn't bother himself to visit their mother when it was know she was dying - he never forgave Bobby for that iirc.

My favourite Jack story is when he apparently asked Alf Ramsey why are you picking me, I'm not one of the best players in England. Ramsey replied I'm not picking the best players, I'm picking the best team. Hope it's true, typically self deprecating.

My biggest memory of Jack Charlton was when he was on the telly the night before the fa cup final in 73 (probably recorded earlier in the day).

He said " No matter who was playing Sunderland tomorrow I would want the other team to win".

I've never forgot it and never wished him well in his managerial career.

Anyway that said I'll forgive him now.

RIP

RIP Big Jack.

Produced a great Boro team that after getting promotion were genuine title contenders for most of the season. A legend for my club and one of our greatest managers.

RIP Big Jack.

Produced a great Boro team that after getting promotion were genuine title contenders for most of the season. A legend for my club and one of our greatest managers.
Thought it was all set up by Stan Anderson TBH.
Jack inherited the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back