Jack Charlton RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met him at a book signing event years Ago, there were lots there.
when he realised I was a Sunderland supporter, he said to me “you do realise that if I’d played in the 1973 cup final yous wouldn’t have won!”
It made me chuckle.

Said that to me when I was talking to him as well.😂

I remember his story about going clubbing after the official World Cup celebration dinner the day he won the Cup. Rather the worse for the nights celebrations he woke up first thing next morning on the sofa of a complete stranger somewhere in Leytonstone.

Needing some fresh air he stepped out in to the back garden of the house only to be confronted with a voice from the next door garden saying "Eeeee its Jackie" Turning around he came face to face with a lady who had lived in his street In Ashington when he was a kid.

RIP Jackie - great memories
I ve mentioned that on here before.
I used do live in East London and one of the WHU lads reckoned he was doing his paper round the morning after the WC Final and seen Jack wandering towards Leytonstone High Road. No one believed him at home or school for months until word got out. His drinking marra was at school with him and backed him. He hadn’t believed him either!
Is there another town in the country that has pushed above its weight in producing sportsmen as much as Ashington? Jack and Bobby Charlton, Jackie and Jack Milburn, Cec Irwin, Jimmy Adamson, Steve and Ben Harmison, Mark Wood and others all from a small, quite run down former mining town.
Adamson turned down the England job because the FA wouldn’t allow him to pick the team. Ramsey was more subtle about it and got the job a few months later.
I remember Souness saying he’d only been scared of two blokes in his life. His dad and Jack Charlton.

Last edited:
Read a few of the papers obituaries and the BBC seem to be the only one talking about him never playing for his boyhood club Newcastle.

Even though he was a fundamental part of the team I have most despised for all my life, Revie's Leeds, I have to admire the man. He was a great player in the England World Cup winning team. His achievement as manager of Ireland will probably never be bettered - 49% winning record. I loved the way he always referred to Bobby, one of the greatest players of all time, as "Our kid."
Proper football bloke. RIP.

Is there another town in the country that has pushed above its weight in producing sportsmen as much as Ashington? Jack and Bobby Charlton, Jackie and Jack Milburn, Cec Irwin, Jimmy Adamson, Steve and Ben Harmison, Mark Wood and others all from a small, quite run down former mining town.

Hetton.

When most of those came from Ashington it wasn’t run down and it was a solid mining town.

Loved the story about when the Ireland team had a private audience with the Pope during Italia 90.
Jack took a step back and let the Irish lads meet the Pope. Packie Bonner who was catholic spent a bit of time with the Pope who told him as a young boy in Poland he’l also played in goal. Packie obviously was overjoyed with this personal interaction with the Pontif.
Next game, in the Olympic stadium Rome, Ireland went out after getting beat of Italy 1-0. Schillaci scored the winner after Bonner had saved the first attempt on goal.
After the game big Jack told how proud both he and the whole of Ireland was of them in their first ever World Cup.
As they were then leaving big Jack shouted back, “by the way Packie, your mate the Pope would have saved that” 😂😂😂

Didnt play not sure why he didnt though

Just googled it, didn't know either

Charlton was limited to 25 appearances in the 1972–73 campaign and suffered an injury in the FA Cup semi-final against Wolves which ended his season. After failing to regain his fitness for the final, he announced his retirement.

Read a few articles on him over the years and on his fall out with Bobby. The key reason seems to be the Munich air disaster, jackie said it really changed Bobby.

RIP big man, fondly recall playing footy in the field and someone masively over-hitting a cross. "i'm not Jackie Charlton"!!

Read a few of the papers obituaries and the BBC seem to be the only one talking about him never playing for his boyhood club Newcastle.
Played for a far superior team. BBC a mile off as usual. Did they mention he went on to manage them?

Just googled it, didn't know either

Charlton was limited to 25 appearances in the 1972–73 campaign and suffered an injury in the FA Cup semi-final against Wolves which ended his season. After failing to regain his fitness for the final, he announced his retirement.

Read a few articles on him over the years and on his fall out with Bobby. The key reason seems to be the Munich air disaster, jackie said it really changed Bobby.

RIP big man, fondly recall playing footy in the field and someone masively over-hitting a cross. "i'm not Jackie Charlton"!!

Its says he was injured in the semi so probably injured for the final then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back