Jack Charlton RIP

I read his book several years ago, decent read. He was pretty rubbish at the mags, always a positive 😀

RIP big Jack.

He wasn't really. They had just been promoted, Cox had walked out, and lost Keegan. I think they may have lost others like McDermott too?

And they came 14th in his only season there, their first season back in Division 1 in years. They then booed him out of the club.

Rafa was a hero for far less. I think it is just Geordie managers (Robson, Charlton, Bruce) they seem to have a problem with.

Man was a top fella, player and manager. Shame they don't make them like him very often anymore. Rest up and may the fishing be good for you.
He wasn't really. They had just been promoted, Cox had walked out, and lost Keegan. I think they may have lost others like McDermott too?

And they came 14th in his only season there, their first season back in Division 1 in years. They then booed him out of the club.

Rafa was a hero for far less. I think it is just managers who don't win the league they seem to have a problem with.

Tidied

Last edited:
Anyone planning on going to his funeral? Apparently the cars will pass through Ashington before going to the crem. There’s a Facebook group Jack Charlton Rememberance Page that has all the details. Be great to give jack a good send off.

We’ll probably get a national day of morning for this here (Ireland)

RIP Jack

First time I can recall seeing this clip,its good and brings back a few memories. Quinny stretching out that long leg to score the equaliser against Holland, get in there lad!
I'm sure the music is "Dearg Doom" by a band called Horslips, good song!

I went to one of his coaching days (don't remember it being televised) when I was a kid.
He was imposing to say the least, and to a bunch of young kids, more than a bit scary.

'Ginger. Ginger. Over here son. The tall lad... the tall lad. You go centre forward. Reet, the lad with the lang hair ... out on the wing.....no no other side ... get a move on shorty ... and so on in that unmistakable accent.

I don't remember much else.
I wasn't much of a footballer and was glad when it was over.
I used to watch those as I was involved in running a Junior football team at the time, so I was always looking to pick up any good tips.
I'm sure the other Coach working with him was George Wardle, a local ex-pro footballer. They might have worked together at Boro when Jack was there?

Back