Jack Baldwin

Agree that he's likely to leave and I doubt there's much more in the way of potential there. Peterborough fans warned us that he was error prone. What you see now is pretty much what you'll get imo.

They said he was great and then struggled after being made captain. Iirc his family also told someone off here the fan perception gets to him and knocks his confidence.

That aside I think he's a good defender, prefer him to Flanagan as I said.

I'd give him a chance in a roll where someone else takes the reigns ala Evans and Nuggsy.

If hes not going to feature much he should be playing for the reserves. We need to keep these players sharp just in case they are needed.

There was a u23 game yesterday and he should have played.

Not if we’re trying to sell him and don’t want to risk injuries.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was more to this than meets the eye tbh. Seems very much a confidence player, maybe he's struggling with some other issues.

Too many apologists on here, he is absolutely f***ing shite. Another one who gets better the longer he doesn’t play :rolleyes:
he cant cope with playing inf ront of such a large ccrowd..and thats a probelm becuase our crowds will always be like this or bigger...so cant really have a future with us..

but he isnt shite..he is proven at this level..same as flagana..and would get into 90 per ce t of teams in this league..

It’s amazing how much flak Flanagan is taking on here now after a few bad games at the start of the season. Think people have short memories. All of the CBs were pretty poor over the last 12 months at various stages and this discussion has been had on here plenty of times and most of the time it was agreed that flanagan was the least poor out of them all. Ozturk has had some shocking games for us, and can anyone forget Baldwin’s role in the 5-4 at Coventry? We really were in need of two centre half’s as they were all incredibly poor. Early days but Willis appears to have covered one of those spots, but it’s positive to hear that Donald appears to be trying to sign another, as in reality flanagan is the best of the remaining options and we all know how he’s started the season

I thought he was excellent at the start of last season. If he can get back to that level then him alongside Willis would be a good partnership.

Has been completely out of the picture since Coventry at home. Do we think he is likely to leave.

He has had some very poor games but I actually think there's potential there. I totally get I'm in the minority but I think he would be OK alongside Willis OR as the left sided CB in a three with him and Ozturk if we ever try that again.

Prefer him to Flanagan because on his day I think he is better, but his bad days are spectacular.

Whatever happens I wish the lad all the best.
Your absolutely correct, there is more potential in Jacky Baldwin.....I do not think we have seen just how bad he can be just yet...
Did he play again after the 4-5 Coventry game?

I’m sure it was his performance in that game that convinced Ross he wasn’t up to it.
I was convinced how bad he was months before the Coventry game;)

Last edited:
Never played past comprehensive school so no idea if confidence issues are something you can work on at a pro level. I do know having a coach who trusted me (OR pretended to) helped my game at a very low level.

Keane talked about singing players for SAFC he really rated and we're great in training....then knowing within the first 30 mins of seeing them in a game at the sol that they couldn't handle the pressure.

Last edited:
Never played past comprehensive school so no idea if confidence issues are someone you can work on at a pro level. I do know having a coach who trusted me (OR pretended to) helped my game at a very low level.

Keane talked about singing players for SAFC he really rated and we're great in training....then knowing within the first 30 mins of seeing them in a game at the sol that they couldn't handle the pressure.
this SHOULD be where the old scholol nature of scoting comes in...data cant tell you if a playr can handle the pressure...contacts with people he has worked with before can..

At the start of last season he was regularly and successfully pinging 50 yard cross-field passes. By the end he often conceded possession when attempting a 10 yard pass. Got to be a confidence thing and I hope he can recover sooner rather than later.

this SHOULD be where the old scholol nature of scoting comes in...data cant tell you if a playr can handle the pressure...contacts with people he has worked with before can..

If they've never played under those conditions how do you know though?

Baldwin had a bad season before we signed him after being good enough to be made captain. Only in hindsight can we say it was the pressure of the captaincy that effected him.

Some players will step up with ease, others won't. It's a lottery.
If he’s too fragile for Div3....

Div 3 or SAFC? Playing devils advocate here a bit but we are notoriously hard to play on front of when things aren't going well.

Last edited:

Back