Jabs for kids

I wonder if the expected low uptake of this, which we know is going to happen, means the Government will takes a firm stand and say any child not vaccinated can't attend school or cuts child benefit to parents who refuse to have their child vaccinated?

I wouldn't put it past our Government to try and strong arm parents somehow into getting the bairns jabbed.

I wonder if the expected low uptake of this, which we know is going to happen, means the Government will takes a firm stand and say any child not vaccinated can't attend school or cuts child benefit to parents who refuse to have their child vaccinated?

I wouldn't put it past our Government to try and strong arm parents somehow into getting the bairns jabbed.
How have the government strong armed anyone into having a vaccine? The great unwashed, sorry unvaccinated, can do the same as the vaccinated. We’re one of a decreasing number of countries not to be implementing vaccine passports.

we need a poll on whether people would vax their kids.

Id really need to read the data to make a decision if I'm honest.
I’m all for vaccines, I’ve had both but I’m reluctant to get the kids it. Aged 6 and 12 and they’ve both already had covid so should have some immunity. Even though there’s likely only a very very small chance of any issues I’m questioning why even take the risk when they’ve already got natural anti bodies. Plus the risk to them from covid is minimal considering they were hardly effected last time. Also the jab doesn’t stop transmission.

I’m all for vaccines, I’ve had both but I’m reluctant to get the kids it. Aged 6 and 12 and they’ve both already had covid so should have some immunity. Even though there’s likely only a very very small chance of any issues I’m questioning why even take the risk when they’ve already got natural anti bodies. Plus the risk to them from covid is minimal considering they were hardly effected last time. Also the jab doesn’t stop transmission.
Growing evidence shows vaccination reduces the chances of long covid symptoms. One paper suggested it cut the chances from around 10% to approx 1% in children.

It's far from a obvious decision with children but looking at roll outs over the world it seems to be going well with Pfizer and children.

Growing evidence shows vaccination reduces the chances of long covid symptoms. One paper suggested it cut the chances from around 10% to approx 1% in children.

It's far from a obvious decision with children but looking at roll outs over the world it seems to be going well with Pfizer and children.

It’s a difficult one for parents and I would respect anyone’s decision on it to be honest. I think people will need to weigh up the facts and make the decision that they think is best for their kids. For me if my 12 year old hadn’t already had covid I think I’d be more inclined to get her the jab.

I'm the same. I don't think we should be increasing the risk (however small) for children to protect adults. It would be a no from me right now.

No jab no job, in the care sector.
Not quite true is it? No jab, can’t put the most vulnerable at risk by not being vaccinated but they can be redeployed to other roles. Even if it was “strong arming” then ~40000 people out of a population of 50 odd million adults is a pretty small amount of strong arming.

Out of left field.

Funny how kid's mental health wasn't taken into account when deciding to close schools, but now they are getting jabbed against covid to protect their mental health, against the recommendation of the JVCI who advise not to do it for covid reasons.

This is a bizarre logic. The government is acting like school closures are some sort of act of God rather than something they actually decide themselves.

They've told Whitty "we'll close schools if they aren't jabbed, so we want a recommendation based on the harm of closing skills".

Its like someone holding a gun to your head and telling you to weigh up the benefits of handing you their wallet because if you don't the trigger might get pulled.

Funny how kid's mental health wasn't taken into account when deciding to close schools, but now they are getting jabbed against covid to protect their mental health, against the recommendation of the JVCI who advise not to do it for covid reasons.
No they don't. The JCVI said the benefits of vaccination are small, but the risks are even smaller. They said that that risk-benefit itself wasn't sufficient to justify mass vaccination. That's a world apart from "advise not to do it for covid reasons."

Have I missed something here, the risk of myocarditis is higher if you get COVID and the cases as I understand it were only mild and easily treated with anti inflammatories in those that have developed it post vaccination, but I thought the main reason the government asked for further advise was to look at the harm that was being done by continually having to disrupt their education when they were testing positive. I know some will still test positive but vaccines do reduce transmission and will therefore reduce disruption.

My bairn was really ill after the flu jab, she like yours is 12 and really low risk. All family around her are double jabbed so I’d also be like you and need to way up the risk which appears minimal to no get her jabbed

Have I missed something here, the risk of myocarditis is higher if you get COVID and the cases as I understand it were only mild and easily treated with anti inflammatories in those that have developed it post vaccination, but I thought the main reason the government asked for further advise was to look at the harm that was being done by continually having to disrupt their education when they were testing positive. I know some will still test positive but vaccines do reduce transmission and will therefore reduce disruption.
Yup. It was also usually after the second jab and we are only giving one.

This is a bizarre logic. The government is acting like school closures are some sort of act of God rather than something they actually decide themselves.

They've told Whitty "we'll close schools if they aren't jabbed, so we want a recommendation based on the harm of closing skills".

Its like someone holding a gun to your head and telling you to weigh up the benefits of handing you their wallet because if you don't the trigger might get pulled.

Someone is making £££ out of this.

No jab no job, in the care sector.
Only in registered care settings so far, doesn’t apply to Dom care, supported living, people’s own homes or hospitals.
Tricky, my wife is immuno suppressed so my boy wants the jab. The risk is low of harm as a result of both vaccinations and Covid. I’m less convinced about the general argument but I’m sure there’ll be plenty of kids keen to avoid killing grandparents. I think my decision needs really good data around reducing transmission as if that’s not particularly evidenced I’m not sure there is really a benefit for the majority of kids. As a tool to keep schools open I’m far from convinced of its use.

Last edited:

Back