Ivy House

I like the ivy me, can take the dog in and the bait is quality

Wouldn't dare gan to the Rosedene or the Barnes like. Them two are absolutely bleak, it baffles me how they stay open, who is parting with their hard earned cash in them types of places?

I've never understood the gripe about prices of pints in the ivy either. If you want to pay peanuts for pissy lager get yourself to Joseph's or somat. Even if pints are a quid more than what is perceived to be an acceptable price, how many pints are you drinking on a night out to make it a concern? You might spend an extra tenner at most over the course of a night compared with sitting in some shit hole drinking bottom dollar pints

I'd rather pay the premium and have a better night. Why not just buy 8 cheap cans from asda and sit in the house? It's like people who drive 3 mile each way to fill up the car at asda or somat to save 1p per litre. Do these people not realise life is finite?
What dog you got?

I like the ivy me, can take the dog in and the bait is quality

Wouldn't dare gan to the Rosedene or the Barnes like. Them two are absolutely bleak, it baffles me how they stay open, who is parting with their hard earned cash in them types of places?

I've never understood the gripe about prices of pints in the ivy either. If you want to pay peanuts for pissy lager get yourself to Joseph's or somat. Even if pints are a quid more than what is perceived to be an acceptable price, how many pints are you drinking on a night out to make it a concern? You might spend an extra tenner at most over the course of a night compared with sitting in some shit hole drinking bottom dollar pints

I'd rather pay the premium and have a better night. Why not just buy 8 cheap cans from asda and sit in the house? It's like people who drive 3 mile each way to fill up the car at asda or somat to save 1p per litre. Do these people not realise life is finite?
No caribbean chicken from chef Tim in The Ivy, though, Spike.

Never found any of the 3 places mentioned any good at all:(

Always full of Silly student types or Ex Uni Scratters living off their Parents.

To be Truthfull - None of the 3 mentioned establishments have ever had the happening crowd:rolleyes:

Last edited:
was bouncing last night from 7 till about 9, looked like either teachers or 6th formers on end of term piss up, was some right clips - but in a good way. its one of sunderlands best all-round pubs. doesnt feel like a food pub, which helps. plus muggboots wasnt in

its the lowest common denominator syndrome.... shite cheap food, generic drinks, no character, full of scratters.

Always a bonus.

The Ivy House is shit these days unfortunately. Nice pizzas but overwhelmingly dead and scratter clientele.
Was good years ago like.

Apart from doing best pizzas in town, great to see a traditional pub still busy and not selling its soul , decent range of drinks , good music and clientele , ideal for few social pints pre-town .
RIP Rosedene for sat afternoon beers

IN - Ivy House
Out - Rosedene @mini-x2 for your August list ;)

Are you allowed to wear your chinos in there like Rick Astley ;)

Last edited:
Remember that lass Ruth worked there, she was in that band Olive - and had a number one single with “you’re not alone “ iirc.

She was moody as owt, but equally sexy, despite the spuggy-like hair.

This was a couple of years ago, mind.

Also, John Hindhaugh used to do the quiz, circa 1987.

He’s very famous now for being the DJ on LeMans FM or somat.

Last edited:
Apart from doing best pizzas in town, great to see a traditional pub still busy and not selling its soul , decent range of drinks , good music and clientele , ideal for few social pints pre-town .
RIP Rosedene for sat afternoon beers

IN - Ivy House
Out - Rosedene @mini-x2 for your August list ;)
My preferred choice of pre match pub.
Plenty of choice for food & drink, and a very good pub. 👍
The only drawback is it doesn't open until noon.

Last edited:
Just had some bait in there, absolutely beautiful pizzas and poutine 👌 staff were spot on too. If you’re a carrot muncher like myself, then the menu is great.
Last time I was in I had a pizza and it was delightful but I cannot recall ever getting a bad pizza anywhere other than a takeaway.

It was halved with my mate and nearing the end of our afternoon session, having a pizza before drink doesn’t work for me.

We had burger and chicken strips in a sticky sauce with cheese stuff (wonderful picture I’m painting here) last time and I was actually moaning eating it 😳😂
The food is excellent, as is the drink.
I get in there before the match, and love the ambience of a proper pub.
I even found (and bought) one of my favourite Belgian Kriek beers in there, last season (a delicious cherry flavoured beer, which brought back many happy memories of a past pre season tour of Belgium) 😋

Back