I've lost my job - Career Advice please!

No there has been guidance today that states they can furlough people shielding - I got an email from HMRC as a business owner

Is this what you have?

"You can claim for furloughed employees who are shielding in line with public health guidance (or need to stay home with someone who is shielding) if they are unable to work from home and you would otherwise have to make them redundant."

They are claiming that they do not have to pay furlough as there is work available, I'm just choosing not to do it and therefore I wouldn't be made redundant.

I've said I'm not choosing not to do it, I've been told by the Government not to do it and I've sent them my letter.

So now we're at stalemate where they think they are right but I think they should furlough people in the shielding group.
Are you self isolating for the sole reason of been immunosuppressed?

Yes. I'm fit and healthy otherwise and was working full time until I got the letter telling me to stop at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this what you have?

"You can claim for furloughed employees who are shielding in line with public health guidance (or need to stay home with someone who is shielding) if they are unable to work from home and you would otherwise have to make them redundant."

They are claiming that they do not have to pay furlough as there is work available, I'm just choosing not to do it and therefore I wouldn't be made redundant.

I've said I'm not choosing not to do it, I've been told by the Government not to do it and I've sent them my letter.

So now we're at stalemate where they think they are right but I think they should furlough people in the shielding group.

Yes. I'm fit and healthy otherwise and was working full time until I got the letter telling me to stop at home.

Yeah that’s in the new expanded guidance plus stuff about agency workers etc

Thats terrible them saying you’ve chosen not to work the letter makes it bloody clear that you’re not to leave the house for 12 weeks. Is there nothing they can offer for you to work on at home ?

Havent read all the replies mate but im sure i saw on martin lewis money saving that the company who employed you on 29th Feb had to pay your furlough regardless whether or not you had handed a notice in. Its definitely worth asking them to pay you it because its coming from the government. Also i dont claim to be any expert on the subject and hope you get sorted out

Unfortunately, they don't have to unless it's changed again in the time.
I asked and my prospective employer asked if previous place would put me back on to furlough me.
CEO said no.

Yeah that’s in the new expanded guidance plus stuff about agency workers etc

Thats terrible them saying you’ve chosen not to work the letter makes it bloody clear that you’re not to leave the house for 12 weeks. Is there nothing they can offer for you to work on at home ?

No it's all work in stores now. Nobody is doing any promotions or analysis or anything that I usually do. It's all work pulling stock through and trying to get the distribution and inventory systems back to normal.

No it's all work in stores now. Nobody is doing any promotions or analysis or anything that I usually do. It's all work pulling stock through and trying to get the distribution and inventory systems back to normal.
Have you tried people by the hour ? You might just find you can pick up some work that you can do online in the short term - proof reading , admin etc

Have you tried people by the hour ? You might just find you can pick up some work that you can do online in the short term - proof reading , admin etc

No but I'll have a look at that. I'll do anything (within reason!) I've even shovelled horse shit in the past just because it was a job!

Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.
I received two pieces of mail the other day

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.
As a result of all this I'm now unemployed, no furlough, no nowt.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated
Time to pitch the Fist to Nestlé

Unfortunately, they don't have to unless it's changed again in the time.
I asked and my prospective employer asked if previous place would put me back on to furlough me.
CEO said no.

ok mate, but if you get a few spare minutes its worth looking on his website for clarification

what the guy above said

According to Martin Lewis you would qualify for it.
Hopefully the link works

They're hiding behind this bit:

and claiming I'm choosing not to work as there is work available.

I've got a friend who does the same work as me. She's married and they can afford for her to stop off, so she isn't working. That is a choice and I can understand them not furloughing her.

In my case, I don't believe it's a choice. I've been told by the government not to work to protect my health and to keep the hospital beds free for people who are more likely to survive it.

Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated
Start from what you want to do mate. You've got 12 weeks do a bit thinking, a bit of thought showering .
It can often help to start by analysing your values , what's important about life . So for argument's sake being fit, active sociable and of service ? that could be a gym instructor but it could also be a postman . Get a job that reflects your values you won't look back .

Morning All,

If ur handy with a computer you could try RPA, a lot of the vendors (blue prism) are doing free online training currently.

Time to pitch the Fist to Nestlé

You might have a point there. I've held off for too long
Start from what you want to do mate. You've got 12 weeks do a bit thinking, a bit of thought showering .
It can often help to start by analysing your values , what's important about life . So for argument's sake being fit, active sociable and of service ? that could be a gym instructor but it could also be a postman . Get a job that reflects your values you won't look back .

Good advice right there.

Last edited:
Evening all.

I appreciate this is probably a bit of an odd bump, but having been out of work since lockdown and shielding too, I've just sent in an interview task for a job I've applied for.
Fingers crossed eh?
Good luck marra. I effectively applied and was interviewed for my own job today. What a weird experienc explaining how well you're going to do the job, when you are already doing that! One of my junior, but very ambitious staff has also applied for the role and has his interview tomorrow. He's a top lad and I've mentored him supported him for years now. I hope I haven't done so too well.

Back