I've lost my job - Career Advice please!

That Martin from Moneysupermarket pressured the government to put something in place for exactly your position. There is an agreement that you can approach your old employer and request that the put you on furlough. I hope you didn't burn any bridges with them, but I'd imagine they have to agree to do it anyway. All the best with it.

If only...
I didn't burn any bridges. My former CEO just refused to help me despite my horrendous situation.
He'll probably get fuck all though if his Mrs works full-time.

Oi! I'm trying to stay positive here :lol:
Where do you live @Keawyeds ?

Westhoughton near Bolton - Keawyeds is the name for people from Westhoughton - that and Howfeners.
Technically I'm from Bishop, but I live here so I'm an adopted Keawyed!

Last edited:

Your old employer can take you back on just to get furlough. I am trying to get the same thing as I took redundancy and then the virus happened leaving me to struggle getting the jobs I wanted

Can but won't.
Apply for the civil service, you can do it online. They may be ready to take you on in 12 weeks time.

Investigating... Ta
this must be the absolute worst time to lose your job, you must be bricking it, and you can't get a temp job as you are immuno suppressed, oh mate this really is horrendous

I really hope the SMB can come up trumps with their suggestions for you

Not sure if that was to me or becs, but yes it's not ideal to say the least!
Some good ideas coming through though :)
I hope I can help people in their hour of need should it happen
I'm scouring job sites looking for home working stuff. If I see anything, I'll pass it on đź‘Ť

I've seen some things on LinkedIn about doing surveys and stuff but I'm not sure how good that'll be. I suspect it'll be peanuts for a lot of answers
Why would an employer refuse? And what does someone do when they are refused?

Get angry and sulk. There's not much you can do about it. The law can't help.

Last edited:
I've seen some things on LinkedIn about doing surveys and stuff but I'm not sure how good that'll be. I suspect it'll be peanuts for a lot of answers

It is peanuts! It's ok to fill time in but it's just pocket money rather than wages to live on.

There is no risk. Government website explicitly states it is allowed. @zwartekat should ring up his last employer and shame the fuckers into it.
It's a poor show from the employers. For some reason, even though it's now been made explicit, employers seem to be wary of taking up this option. Maybe worth noting that the guidance was only officially updated at the weekend so it could be worth re-trying if your employer wanted to see something official in writing.

Employer link: Claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Employee link: Check if your employer can use the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Or I could ring them up using a pseudonym and say I'm doing User Research into Employers using the Retention scheme and, if not, why they are being such utter tw@ts and they will be going on a list.

Last edited:
now that is an excellent suggestion

For anyone interested in doing a TEFL course, this is the one I'm doing

This one had another discount as well of a further 20% off when you put in the promo code SAVE.

Some other offers on here

Important to make sure it's an accredited course and also read feedback from people who have done/are doing the course.

Last edited:
It's a poor show from the employers. For some reason, even though it's now been made explicit, employers seem to be wary of taking up this option. Maybe worth noting that the guidance was only officially updated at the weekend so it could be worth re-trying if your employer wanted to see something official in writing.

Employer link: Claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Employee link: Check if your employer can use the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Or I could ring them up using a pseudonym and say I'm doing User Research into Employers using the Retention scheme and, if not, why they are being such utter tw@ts and they will be going on a list.
Sorry I meant @Keawyeds

But 100% agreed with your post

I've had another one email me back this morning and that they cannot furlough me as there is some work available but I am choosing not to do it as I've been told to shield for 12 weeks. Do you know if they are correct?

There is no risk. Government website explicitly states it is allowed. @zwartekat should ring up his last employer and shame the fuckers into it.
But is there not a risk you’ve got an employee on your books with length of service that you need to then wait to leave, make redundant or retain after this is finished?

I’m not saying I agree with the employer. I’d like to think they’d help out a former, long serving, valued employee for very minimal risk.

Last edited:
I've had another one email me back this morning and that they cannot furlough me as there is some work available but I am choosing not to do it as I've been told to shield for 12 weeks. Do you know if they are correct?
There are still grey areas in the guidance and this is one of them. Is your employer placing other staff on furlough? As far as I can make out, if other employees are being furloughed then it should also be an option for those shielding.

But is there not a risk you’ve got an employee on your books with length of service that you need to then wait to leave, make redundant or retain after this is finished?

I’m not saying I agree with the employer. I’d like to think they’d help out a former, long serving, valued employee for very minimal risk.

My understanding is that they are being re employed and furloughed and once it is over they are off again.

If you made employees redundant or they stopped working for you after 28 February
If you made employees redundant, or they stopped working for you on or after 28 February 2020, you can re-employ them, put them on furlough and claim for their wages through the scheme.

There are still grey areas in the guidance and this is one of them. Is your employer placing other staff on furlough? As far as I can make out, if other employees are being furloughed then it should also be an option for those shielding.

No they're not putting anyone on furlough. My argument is that I'm not choosing not to work. I would still be working if I wasn't on the meds.
Can you not do it online like?

No I'm not currently claiming universal credit, so I have to ring up the helpline first.

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that they are being re employed and furloughed and once it is over they are off again.

If you made employees redundant or they stopped working for you after 28 February
If you made employees redundant, or they stopped working for you on or after 28 February 2020, you can re-employ them, put them on furlough and claim for their wages through the scheme.
It says re-employ. A bit of an unanswered question.

The whole point of it is that it’s a job retention scheme not a way to making sure people can claim.

No they're not putting anyone on furlough. My argument is that I'm not choosing not to work. I would still be working if I wasn't on the meds.

No I'm not currently claiming universal credit, so I have to ring up the helpline first.

Does your employer not pay SSP? That should be the option if they are not furloughing although I know it isn't very generous.

No there has been guidance today that states they can furlough people shielding - I got an email from HMRC as a business owner

At the minute as I'm entertaining a 2 years old working from home might not be that easy either, but I'll look into all options!

I set it up :lol:

Absolutely. I spoke to someone highly regarded in fundraising and he said it was awful behaviour from both parties.
Can I join said group mate ta.

Morning All,

I appreciate I'm not alone in this, but I've had a f***ing awful few weeks. Mrs K is also front line NHS so that's done our collective stress levels no good at all.
I received two pieces of mail the other day

One was my P45 - In a nutshell, I accepted a job at another hospice, I put in my resignation at my old job, the a global pandemic happened, and then the new hospice pulled the job.
As a result of all this I'm now unemployed, no furlough, no nowt.

The other was a letter from our GP telling me that as I'm immuno compromised and at risk of severe illness, I'm now on lockdown for at least 12 weeks.
I know I'm/we're not in the worst position, but you'll forgive me for being properly fucked off with my current situation.

However, this does present me with an opportunity - A potential change of career.
I have lots of transferable skills (so I'm told) but I'm not sure what else I could turn my hand to. Any (sensible - come on now) suggestions or ideas really would be welcome.
To say my mental health has taken something of a battering would be an understatement, so any help would be appreciated

Havent read all the replies mate but im sure i saw on martin lewis money saving that the company who employed you on 29th Feb had to pay your furlough regardless whether or not you had handed a notice in. Its definitely worth asking them to pay you it because its coming from the government. Also i dont claim to be any expert on the subject and hope you get sorted out

Back